Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Restaurants

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Old Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Jack's Steak House was between SW 58th & 59th on Penn just South of the
    strip center in a brick or stone building - West side of Penn....
    That's exactly where I'm envisioning the location. However, there's nothing
    in the Oklahoman archives that suggests it. There is an obituary that mentions
    Jack's Steakhouse but not a location.

There is information about the Family Spaghetti House in that very location.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    ...This ad is from 12/9/69

Quote Originally Posted by CarltonsKeeper View Post
    Jack's Steak House was between SW 58th & 59th on Penn just South of
    the strip center in a brick or stone building - West side of Penn....
    CK, I remember the sign. I can't find any evidence of it's existence.
    Was it in the same strip as Gerald's Donuts? I've been munching on
    some serious Gerald's Donuts.

Ah, those were the places where the average guy took his family to a fancy restaurant once every six month, paid cash, and was treated like royalty. Glens was a gem on NW 10th street, near the fairgrounds, in a neighborhood that was never impressive. Those days are gone forever, basically for the guy and his family, who worked in the meat packing district, when there was one.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by biznesschic1959 View Post
    ...Glens was a gem on NW 10th street, near the fairgrounds...
    Did Glen's own the meat packing place on the corner of NW 10th and N May?
    I always thought they did but not sure.

The building had a heifer's head protruding from the front of the store.

NikZ at the Top (Founders Tower) (Went 3 times. Some of the finest food--and ambiance--ever.)
    Gabriella's (around 50th and Western) (Peter Seay's place. Top notch everything.)
    Boca Boca (in the Collonade--now Sean Cumming's--and moved south on May.)
    Der Dutchman (either of two locations, one on S. 74th St.) (Loved the hush puppies and gumbo.)
    The [BBQ Shack] at I-35 and NE 10th (can't remember the name. I'm gettin' old.)
    Bahama Breeze (good food, good drinks, good live music, good location, no good reason to close).
    Shipman's Café (S. Robinson?) (endless "biscuits" and darn good chicken)

RM,
    If fish could fly, you wouldn't need Boca Boca! Fresh fish flown in daily. An excellent place. I don't remember Gabriella's, what was their specialty? The BBQ Shack was Tom's Oaklawn (or commonly, just Tom's). Der Dutchman (previously known as the Zuider Zee) was a good place and I cut my teeth (almost literally) at Shipman's, ate there on Robinson mostly until they built a little nicer place further West on the South side of Reno (I think???). We ate at Bahama Breeze once. Not overly thrilled with it. Not saying it was bad, just not our choice for an upscale dinner.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    NikZ at the Top (Founders Tower) (Went 3 times. Some of the finest food--and ambiance--ever.)
    Gabriella's (around 50th and Western) (Peter Seay's place. Top notch everything.)
    Boca Boca (in the Collonade--now Sean Cumming's--and moved south on May.)
    Der Dutchman (either of two locations, one on S. 74th St.) (Loved the hush puppies and gumbo.)
    The [BBQ Shack] at I-35 and NE 10th (can't remember the name. I'm gettin' old.)
    Bahama Breeze (good food, good drinks, good live music, good location, no good reason to close).
    Shipman's Café (S. Robinson?) (endless "biscuits" and darn good chicken)

Never could figure out why Der Dutchman moved out of OKC. Nice seafood restaurant.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by biznesschic1959 View Post
    Never could figure out why Der Dutchman moved out of OKC. Nice seafood
    restaurant.
    I thought their hush puppies alone would keep them in business. C'mon,
    everyone ate there for the hush puppies and butter and butter and more
    butter. Duh! We'd all order an entree only to provide an excuse to eat 2 or
    3 pounds of hush puppies and butter and butter and more butter.

9. Default Re: Old Restaurants

The BBQ place at NE 10th and I-35 was Tom's. No guns allowed.

Also, I liked NikZ, but I liked Eagle's Nest better.

I'll nominate Han's BBQ as a place I miss. And the recently-departed (but still old) Lunch Box, and the not-as-recently departed cafe at the Downtown Airpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

Also, I liked NikZ, but I like Eagle's Nest better.

I'll nominate Han's BBQ as a place I miss. And the recently-departed (but still old) Lunch Box, and the not-as-recently departed cafe at the Downtown Airpark.
    Agree completely. My wife and I went there (Eagle's Nest) on our first anniversary, and the place was really spectacular. Went back a year (maybe two?) later, and it was Nikz. While it was still a nice place, the atmosphere just wasn't even remotely like Eagle's Nest, targeting a different crowd entirely. Just not our cup of tea, and we never went back.

Hans BBQ is a great pick. I remember going up there and just getting a brown sack of BBQ sandwiches, and the smell inside was awesome

Urbanized,
    Never went to NikZ, or the Eagle's Nest, so I have no opinion. Han's was really good, but not the typical hickory smoked barbecue. In my opinion (and a lot of others), Tom's had the best ribs in town. I didn't care much for anything else, not even his beans, average at best. And his sauce was served heated and brought around fresh to each table. You didn't pour cold sauce on a hot mea!
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

Also, I liked NikZ, but I liked Eagle's Nest better.

Oh, my gosh, yes!! My family went to Han's all the time - loved the place. Tom's sound delicious, but I don't know anything about it. My sis worked at Underwood's BBQ, while I worked at Casa Bonita in 1970.

...one of my favorite old restaurants was Braum's. Do you remember their commercials?

.. "know what I mean, Vern?" . ( kidding only).

14. Default Re: Old Restaurants

Mine has to be a place that was just west of S. Western on Grand Blvd that was called The Royal Fork.

We would go there almost every Sunday and have lunch with my grandfather.

OBEA,
    I was born and raised there, I don't remember any restaurant. It couldn't have been on the North side of Grand Blvd. What time frame are you talking about? Help me! It's driving me crazy.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Mine has to be a place that was just west of S. Western on Grand Blvd that was called The Royal Fork.

We would go there almost every Sunday and have lunch with my grandfather.

Never had a chance to experience The Eagle's Nest. If it was better than NikZ I'm extra regretful.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she not only provided me with the name of the BBQ Shack (Tom's BBQ) but also provided three more locations that immediately came to her mind:

Triples (for the Monte Cristo Sandwich) (I never made it to Triples).
    Bennigan's (ditto on the Monte Cristo) (had one here, to me these are far, far too "cloyingly battered/sweet")
    Molly Murphy's ("for a birthday") (Never ate here but did get to see just how greasy and dirty a kitchen could get, just before they closed their doors).

Ditto on Han's BBQ.
    (and I never got to try Nicolosi's, but hear that it was pretty darn good)

RM,
    You can't mention Nicolosi's without mentioning the J & R Chicken Ranch! They were about a mile apart and it was always tough to decide on Italian or good chicken. Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't handle the sweetness. I don't eat sweets at all now, but I did then, just never was into sweetening the man dish (entree). By the way, I'm sure you know, they were located where the Metro wine Bar and Bistro is today.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Never had a chance to experience The Eagle's Nest. If it was better than NikZ I'm extra regretful.

I mentioned this thread to my wife and she not only provided me with the name of the BBQ Shack (Tom's BBQ) but also provided three more locations that immediately came to her mind:

Triples (for the Monte Cristo Sandwich) (I never made it to Triples).
    Bennigan's (ditto on the Monte Cristo) (had one here, to me these are far, far too "cloyingly battered/sweet")
    Molly Murphy's ("for a birthday") (Never ate here but did get to see just how greasy and dirty a kitchen could get, just before they closed their doors).

Ditto on Han's BBQ.
    (and I never got to try Nicolosi's, but hear that it was pretty darn good)

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    ... Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't
    handle the sweetness.
    C. T.
    The Monte Cristo was good if you expected the sweetness. I liked it.

Triples was on the property that Herman Baggett owned. He owned Herman's
    Seafood and Market. I really, really, really liked that place. The cole slaw
    was off the charts.

Here's a mind blowing experience. Steak and Tails for $4.99. A steak with
    3 lobster tails. Incredible. And all the cole slaw you could eat. I believe
    our waitress was almost always Maggie. I remember her face.

was off the charts.

Isnt there a place still in town that still serves the "hermans cole slaw'?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Isn't there a place still in town that still serves the "hermans cole slaw'?
    I've heard that there's a grocery on NW 72 and N Western, or there abouts,
    that has the slaw. I think the kids know the recipe. It was very simple. I
    believe the way it was shredded was a major factor. I'd ask for seconds.
    Sometimes thirds.

I really liked Triples, too.

was off the charts.

I used to work at Han's, I never thought it was all that great but it was a bit different than other BBQ places.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    RM,
    You can't mention Nicolosi's without mentioning the J & R Chicken Ranch! They were about a mile apart and it was always tough to decide on Italian or good chicken. Triple's is where I had my first and last Monte Cristo sandwich. Couldn't handle the sweetness. I don't eat sweets at all now, but I did then, just never was into sweetening the man dish (entree). By the way, I'm sure you know, they were located where the Metro wine Bar and Bistro is today.
    C. T.
    Nicolosi's and JR were closer than that, not even a 1/3rd mile apart. Growing up in the Hilldale neighborhood it was rather close to us.

Bennigan's was where I had the Monte Cristo, it was a once in awhile meal. Cheddar's is the only place that I know of that has them now, we have one in our part of South Denver area.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Not that the food was super outstanding, but, it wasn't bad and it was all you could eat. Casa Bonita on 39th. It opened when I was in college at Southwestern at Weatherford. When it first opened it was $1.45 for the all you could eat. A bunch of us guys would make a road trip to OKC about once a month(2-3 carloads) just to hit Casa Bonita. Then we almost always had to stop in to the Red Dog for brews on 10th street.
    If you really want Casa Bonita there is one still open in the Lakewood area of Denver.
    Casa Bonita - Denver

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    My God Shotgun Sams used to have wonderful pizza. I wish someone would open using the same recipe.
    I agree....I also wish we could get Okie Calzone like Sammy's Pizza (and places like Pizza House now) had up here. The Mellow Mushroom is about the closest I can find.

One of my favorites was Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 30th & Penn, I love traditional red sauce Italian like they had. El Rancho Sanchez (the one next to Shotgun Sam's) was great for a big, cheap burrito.

Bluedogok,
    I was pretty young, so it was a long distance between Nicolosi's and JR. Actually, I knew it wasn't a mile, that's why I said "about" because I really don't remember them being as close as 1/3rd of a mile. I agree about Tony's, a little known Italian gem. I say "little known" because I didn't know many people that had ever heard of it or they had driven by it for years and never tried it. My family and I started eating at the El Rancho Sanchez at about 58th and South Western. We loved it. They had a buffet every Monday evening and it was great.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I used to work at Han's, I never thought it was all that great but it was a bit different than other BBQ places.

Nicolosi's and JR were closer than that, not even a 1/3rd mile apart. Growing up in the Hilldale neighborhood it was rather close to us.

Bennigan's was where I had the Monte Cristo, it was a once in awhile meal. Cheddar's is the only place that I know of that has them now, we have one in our part of South Denver area.

If you really want Casa Bonita there is one still open in the Lakewood area of Denver.
    Casa Bonita - Denver

I agree....I also wish we could get Okie Calzone like Sammy's Pizza (and places like Pizza House now) had up here. The Mellow Mushroom is about the closest I can find.

One of my favorites was Tony's Italian Specialties at NW 30th & Penn, I love traditional red sauce Italian like they had. El Rancho Sanchez (the one next to Shotgun Sam's) was great for a big, cheap burrito.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post

Casa Bonita - Denver

Wait a sec....
    Did or wasn't Sammys supposed to open a store here recently or are they only doing the fair thing?

A place that just popped into my mind was Hardy's, Famous for Steaks. It was one block West of the old Union Bus Station on the N. W. corner. Long after they closed the restaurant, they served ham sandwiches at the state fair. Really good steaks, shore patrol salad (a wilted lettuce salad) and the hangout for lot's of celebrities that performed at the Civic Center Music Hall, or as it was know then, the Municipal Auditorium. My aunt worked there and there were lots of autographs on the walls by the performers.
    C. T.

Thread Information