Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

Default Re: Campus Corner to Main Street Master Plan

I just got back from the workshop. It was fantastic! The upcoming actual charrette in May should be a great experience for the people of Norman. It looked like there were at least 50 people there this evening. Tonight, at tables of 6-7 people, we identified current strengths and current weaknesses in the area. In addition, we did a basic visual preference workshop where everyone was given a certain number of green (good) and red (bad) stickers to place on pictures of different types of form and development.

It looks like the end result, based on what the consultants said, will be a form based code that can be implemented for the core Norman area.

What were the types of form and development you judged? Like mix use, condos, storefronts? Just curious to know what they have in mind for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    What were the types of form and development you judged? Like mix use, condos, storefronts? Just curious to know what they have in mind for the area.
    It was all different kinds of developments...the point of the exercise was to judge the form of each structure, regardless of use.

It was a wide variety. It varied from buildings and environments where the structures were pulled close to the street to more car-oriented retail strip centers. Again the focus is on the form, not the use...one of the main things was to get people to start moving away from the USE THEN FORM mindset into FORM THEN USE. In order to get the kind of environment that people want for this area, it was stressed that form should be the main concern and then then we can plan for uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    I just got back from the workshop. It was fantastic! The upcoming actual charrette in May should be a great experience for the people of Norman. It looked like there were at least 50 people there this evening. Tonight, at tables of 6-7 people, we identified current strengths and current weaknesses in the area. In addition, we did a basic visual preference workshop where everyone was given a certain number of green (good) and red (bad) stickers to place on pictures of different types of form and development.

It looks like the end result, based on what the consultants said, will be a form based code that can be implemented for the core Norman area.
    This is something that always amazes me about the visual preference surveys. When people are give the choice side by side they always (and I really do mean always) pick the traditional neighborhood model, but when they write zoning codes they always pick the Euclidian model and the Euclidian model can never produce what their eyes tell them they like. I guess the difference is when you see it with your eyes you view it from a Human perspective, but when you write it up on paper you do it from a mathematical/engineering perspective; so instead of the visually appealing 10 foot travel lane you write 12 feet because it is easier to drive with the two extra feet and you can go faster. They never consider that those 2 extra feet make all the other things they like impossible to achieve.

Hopefully this allows the higher density apartment project on Asp to move forward using the form-based code. I assume it will include provisions for buildings meeting the sidewalk, parking shielded behind or under and an emphasis on walkable interaction with the rest of the neighborhood.

I think a project like that one getting off the ground will create demand for others like it in the area, mainly in the north part of Campus Corner south of McFarlin church. For University I hope the code includes having this area be mixed use. I could see that being a more retail and dining centric corridor like Asp and Buchanan, but with apartments and condos and maybe a small hotel above the street front businesses,and a parking garage that serves the entire area.

Where would they put it all though? There aren't too many (if any) vacant lots around. Are people in this area willing to sell?

Remember, we have to keep looking 20-25 years down the road. There may not be huge redevelopment possibilities currently, but it's important to have the form based code and visioning process in place now to help guide development in the future. It provides clear predictability for residents and developers alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    Remember, we have to keep looking 20-25 years down the road. There may not be huge redevelopment possibilities currently, but it's important to have the form based code and visioning process in place now to help guide development in the future. It provides clear predictability for residents and developers alike.
    THIS is why it is called PLANNING.

Design charettes planned for the form-based code in central Norman:
    A series of talks on high density in Norman stalled last year, and now the city is working proactively with OU to create a plan for the city’s future within a defined corridor that is bounded by Gray Street on the north, Flood Avenue on the west, Boyd Street on the south and the BNSF Railroad on the east.

The plan includes a charrette process, to be hosted at 127 W. Main St. Three public meetings in May will garner public ideas for the vision, as well as public input on the work in progress by the design team.

Norman Transcript : Leaders to put hold on building permits in Center City Visioning project corridor

I met the founder of Opticos Design this past weekend at a conference and he said his firm is excited to come back to Norman and get to work!

Opticos is one of the firms Norman/OU hired to collaborate with the Charrette Institute and the Form Based Code firm to work on the Core Norman master plan.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Design charettes planned for the form-based code in central Norman:
    A series of talks on high density in Norman stalled last year, and now the city is working proactively with OU to create a plan for the city’s future within a defined corridor that is bounded by Gray Street on the north, Flood Avenue on the west, Boyd Street on the south and the BNSF Railroad on the east.

The plan includes a charrette process, to be hosted at 127 W. Main St. Three public meetings in May will garner public ideas for the vision, as well as public input on the work in progress by the design team.

Norman Transcript : Leaders to put hold on building permits in Center City Visioning project corridor
    First I thought that was a bad thing, but I think it's good? Pretty much just keeps anything from being built that would screw up the master plan. Or I hope that's what it is intended to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information