Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL in OKC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: NFL in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    so i got the move the nfl tried to block incorrect ... but the point is owners can move their team ... period ...
    Actually the point is they really can't.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    so i got the move the nfl tried to block incorrect ... but the point is owners can move their team ... period ...
    Theoretically, I could become starting QB for the Detroit Lions, it doesn't mean I could actually pull it off. That's really the point, Davis did move the team, and then had to move back because going against every owner in the league made it unsustainable. The league as an entity does a lot for franchises, Davis underestimated what he could do on his own and tried to sue for what the league wouldn't do. In that, he failed.

Practically speaking, you need the league's blessing if you're going to be viable. If Davis couldn't make it work in LA, the second biggest media market in the country, than an errant billionaire who somehow buys a team (league still has to approve ownership, that wasn't part of the suit) isn't going to be able to move to a small market without league approval. That's the reality of the situation, it takes more than a billion dollars and brass balls to get a viable NFL franchise in a city. At the end of the day, the league won the war against Davis, they got what they wanted, the team back in Oakland and their own power strengthened.

Now, that all that has been said, if current trends remain, OKC will be as large or larger than Cleveland by 2035. If current trends diverge in a fortuitous direction, then it could be even sooner...

OKC is not a viable market for a second pro team. There's been a ton of research done on this and a city needs about a million people (OKC may actually need a little more because the average salary is so much lower than in other major cities) for every pro team. OKC is just big enough to support one pro team. Getting a second one would not work long term. This discussion will be relevant again once OKC is over 2 million people in the metro...

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    OKC is not a viable market for a second pro team. There's been a ton of research done on this and a city needs about a million people (OKC may actually need a little more because the average salary is so much lower than in other major cities) for every pro team. OKC is just big enough to support one pro team. Getting a second one would not work long term. This discussion will be relevant again once OKC is over 2 million people in the metro...
    Right, which will likely be some time between 2030 and 2040...That's not that far away folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Right, which will likely be some time between 2030 and 2040...That's not that far away folks...
    Yeah, but if everyone's population is growing near the same rate... then there may be a lot of competition: World Population - YouTube

BTW, I'd also argue that OU and OSU football serve as de facto professional franschises by the financial commitment they require. An NFL team would definitely harm those programs severely.

Yeah, but if everyone's population is growing near the same rate... then there may be a lot of competition: World Population - YouTube

BTW, I'd also argue that OU and OSU football serve as de facto professional franschises by the financial commitment they require. An NFL team would definitely harm those programs severely.
    They're not though. OKC is the 9th fastest growing MSA among the Top 50 MSAs. Cleveland and Detroit's populations are actually declining. Cincy, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, are all barely growing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    They're not though. OKC is the 9th fastest growing MSA among the Top 50 MSAs. Cleveland and Detroit's populations are actually declining. Cincy, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, are all barely growing.
    Yeah, but OKC is dramatically behind a lot of these cities. It would have to sustain drastic growth over a long period to catch up. Unlikely.

So build the NFL stadium between Oklahoma City and Tulsa to get Tulsa involved and get your over 2 million people that way. Of course, the billion dollar question is: are very many people going to be willing to drive 50 - 75 miles, or more, to a stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    So build the NFL stadium between Oklahoma City and Tulsa to get Tulsa involved and get your over 2 million people that way. Of course, the billion dollar question is: are very many people going to be willing to drive 50 - 75 miles, or more, to a stadium?
    While I am sure Stroud would be all for it, it would probably be more feasible to build it in Tulsa than halfway between.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    While I am sure Stroud would be all for it, it would probably be more feasible to build it in Tulsa than halfway between.
    Why do you feel it would be more feasible to build in Tulsa? I think Stroud would be a great location and get support for the NFL from both major metropolitian areas in the State. Tulsa alone could not support a team, OKC, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Why do you feel it would be more feasible to build in Tulsa? I think Stroud would be a great location and get support for the NFL from both major metropolitian areas in the State. Tulsa alone could not support a team, OKC, maybe?
    Unless you get near equal steaks in the ownership, corporate support and city/county subsidies between the OKC & Tulsa; It is going in the city with more ownership/corporations/subsidies. As it has been stated, OKC is in reasonable shape to support one pro team, we need both growth in number of large corporate backers and population to really be in a position to have both NFL and NBA longterm. Tulsa is pretty close on population but having enough corporate support is more suspect.

Another problem with halfway between is it is equally bad access for both cities. It goes contrary to the concept of making it as easy as possible for your high end clientele that bring in the bulk of your stadium revenue. During lean years two hours of driving will be one more reason not to go.

Most stadiums built today are built with a mix of city, county and sometimes state backing. The city and county it would financially benefit can not contribute a meaningful amount of the construction budget, It is extremely rare for any city to help in a project like this not in their city limits and the state is in no position to be building a stadium at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Wouldn't that be Stillwater then?
    Nah, Stillwater is too far away from Oklahoma City and Tulsa. 65 miles away versus 50 miles or so for Stroud. OSU has a hard time filling up Pickens Stadium and Iba-Gallagher Arena.

Okay, I didn't think this coversation was that reasonable to begin with... but the suggestion of Tulsa having the NFL team is absolute lunacy. lol.

I am a Minnesota Vikings fan and I would love to go to Vikings games if they have a NFL team here but I do not think it will ever happen

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I am a Minnesota Vikings fan and I would love to go to Vikings games if they have a NFL team here but I do not think it will ever happen
    You can always drive down to Dallas or up to Kansas City or St. Louis. Heck, you could fly up to Minneapolis if you have the time and are willing to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    You can always drive down to Dallas or up to Kansas City or St. Louis. Heck, you could fly up to Minneapolis if you have the time and are willing to do that.
    I am planning to fly to Minneapolis when they build the new stadium

18. Default Re: NFL in OKC

Living in Cleveland I've come to understand that the NFL is a cultural thing. Wins and losses aside, ever you're city is an NFL city or it isn't. If not, it won't work out when the team starts losing. That's why the greatest NFL cities are concentrated in the North...like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Indianapolis, even Green Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Living in Cleveland I've come to understand that the NFL is a cultural thing. Wins and losses aside, ever you're city is an NFL city or it isn't. If not, it won't work out when the team starts losing. That's why the greatest NFL cities are concentrated in the North...like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Indianapolis, even Green Bay.
    I would not be surprised if Buffalo loses the Bills in the next twenty years

I would not be surprised if Buffalo loses the Bills in the next twenty years
    I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    I doubt it
    The owner is 94, he has stated that the intentions are to have the team sold to the highest bidder when he dies, they are one of the cheapest teams to buy if someone hoped to move one. While they have a lease through 2022 (past 2019 buy out is no obstacle to any owner that had the money to buy the team, if it was to a market like LA the buy out fee is probably not a major issue if they can complete a stadium before that, though could affect if they chose to pursue them), any city without a stadium would be doing well to have one built by 2019. There metro has been loosing people since the 1970s and losing business since the importance of the Erie Canal started declining decades before that.

The owner is 94, he has stated that the intentions are to have the team sold to the highest bidder when he dies, they are one of the cheapest teams to buy if someone hoped to move one. While they have a lease through 2022 (past 2019 buy out is no obstacle to any owner that had the money to buy the team, if it was to a market like LA the buy out fee is probably not a major issue if they can complete a stadium before that, though could affect if they chose to pursue them), any city without a stadium would be doing well to have one built by 2019. There metro has been loosing people since the 1970s and losing business since the importance of the Erie Canal started declining decades before that.
    the lease is until 2023 .. a 1 time only 28 mil buy out after year 7 (2020) and a 400 mil buy out at any other time .. and the county city state have formed a committee to start the process of building a new stadium ..

I'm a Vikings fan too, and I go see them play whenever they play in Dallas. One of these days I'll go back to Minnesota for a game, but haven't been to one there since I lived there. I do not expect to have an NFL team here for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I'm a Vikings fan too, and I go see them play whenever they play in Dallas. One of these days I'll go back to Minnesota for a game, but haven't been to one there since I lived there. I do not expect to have an NFL team here for the forseeable future.
    You and I should go a Vikings game in Minnesota when they build the new stadium

At one time (BT and before JJ) an Nfl Franchise was viable and talked about. Back then, the biggest opponent was OU. Might still be. Only way I see it happening is if Boone Pickens wants it in Stillwater, as in extra stadium income and he sponsors it.

Thread Information