Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam's Club

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

Here is a site plan and aerial (not sure of area in pink; may be separate development):

Will the Dakota Financial building on the I-44 frontage road west of May be demolished? Can't tell from the site plan (not enough resolution).

bcrhis keeps repeating that like it's fact, and it's absolutely not.

Besides, I assure you that Costco frequently goes in between and very near Sam's all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Besides, I assure you that Costco frequently goes in between and very near Sam's all the time.
    That's what I thought. I have been working a lot and admit to not really keeping up with everything. And looks like I need to renew

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Yep, the two stores that were open when I lived in Austin (another has opened since in the Cedar Park area) were very close to Sam's stores, they were about a mile from each other on the same roads (South Mopac, North US-183). The Cedar Park location is about two miles from Costco. There are many more Sam's stores than Costco stores in every market that I know of, almost double the Sam's stores here in the Denver Metro area than Costco stores. Multiple Sam's stores hasn't seemed to stop Costco from locating near their competition.

Costco is NOT worried about Sam's, I assure you. bchris just keeps repeating his misunderstood Steve post (which I still believe to be incorrect, even when taken in the proper context) to advance his constant, negative agenda.

Costco is coming to Tulsa and OKC no matter what Sam's does.

Wow. First Lowes a few years back and now Sam's gets shoe-horned in an older part of town. I never thought that site stood much of a chance. That's a shot in the arm for this part of the city. That area is my old stomping ground, too bad my folks are deceased, my mom would have loved this news. It will be a traffic hassle on the access road and the northbound May left turn so close to the light on 39th.

Maybe Sam's can bring in a crane along with Tom Park and Lynn Hickey to help with the grand opening!

Walmart is perfectly legitimate business and operates within the laws. Don't like them, don't shop there.

It really is a nice bit of infill development.

And it also brings a warehouse store much closer to almost everyone who lives in the central core.

Just one more reason to never go to Memorial Road or the big box hell of far West OKC.

10. Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

That's a great point. I'm not a regular at Sam's, but living/working downtown I usually try to find an excuse to go to the Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, etc. in that area instead of the (probably slightly closer and in some cases definitely larger) versions east, west or north. A lot of the appeal to me us that I can get there and get gone via the grid rather than congested access roads. There's a lot to be said for the grid when it comes to traffic dispersal.

That whole near NW side of town is definitely experiencing a bit of a renaissance.

Obviously, HH and Mesta Park are incredibly desirable, but now Classen Ten Penn, Gatewood, Jefferson Park, the Paseo, Crown Heights Putnam Heights and even Mayfair and most the other neighborhoods in the area are definitely picking up.

That Lowes very nearby is another great amenity if you don't want to jump on a freeway.

12. Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

I've bought gas at that Shell. It's E10. (Shell stations with E0 can be found along May at 36th and 50th.)

13. Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

Quote Originally Posted by windowphobe View Post
    I've bought gas at that Shell. It's E10. (Shell stations with E0 can be found along May at 36th and 50th.)
    I don't think the ethanol gas really matters to people anymore. I have been in Charlotte, NC for 6 months now and have yet to find one store here or in SC that sells 100% gas (even QuickTrips or Loves). Everything is E10. There are plenty of people who drive pickup trucks and I haven't heard a single complaint or outrage. I think the no ethanol fad is over.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    I don't think the ethanol gas really matters to people anymore. I have been in Charlotte, NC for 6 months now and have yet to find one store here or in SC that sells 100% gas (even QuickTrips or Loves). Everything is E10. There are plenty of people who drive pickup trucks and I haven't heard a single complaint or outrage. I think the no ethanol fad is over.
    It is not an issue when you have no choice. In OKC where we still have a choice and 100% gas is not hard to find there are a tons of people that detest the E10 gas and won't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    It is not an issue when you have no choice. In OKC where we still have a choice and 100% gas is not hard to find there are a tons of people that detest the E10 gas and won't use it.
    Yep, in Austin, San Antonio, DFW or Houston you have no choice. You had to go well out of the emission control counties of a metro area to find E0 gas. As much as Charlotte has grown I would imagine it is similar the Texas cities in EPA mandates. The ethanol free gas is much more important to small engines and vehicles that sit for awhile being unused. I do know that the owners manuals for the cars and my motorcycle say do not use anything with more than 10% ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Yep, in Austin, San Antonio, DFW or Houston you have no choice. You had to go well out of the emission control counties of a metro area to find E0 gas. As much as Charlotte has grown I would imagine it is similar the Texas cities in EPA mandates. The ethanol free gas is much more important to small engines and vehicles that sit for awhile being unused. I do know that the owners manuals for the cars and my motorcycle say do not use anything with more than 10% ethanol.
    DFW has Ethanol free gas, I filled up there other day. Unless something has changed, Houston also has it as of 3 months ago.

Not sure about Austin or SA.

It's not over in OKC. I've never put ethanol in my car's tank and I won't as long as I have a choice.

If you can't get 100% gas, what do you put in your lawn mower? *shudder*

18. Default Re: Sam's Club to 39th & N. May

Quote Originally Posted by ethansisson View Post
    It's not over in OKC. I've never put ethanol in my car's tank and I won't as long as I have a choice.

I live in a condo .... but there are 2 million people in the metro area here who somehow make it work.

I live in a condo .... but there are 2 million people in the metro area here who somehow make it work.
    I agree. Before moving to OKC, I didn't realize they still had 100% non-ethanol gasoline. The EPA regulations in Charlotte are much stricter. There are many cars from the 1970s and 80s still on the road in OKC that couldn't be legally tagged in Mecklenburg County.

I guess there's some solution to it. I've never bothered to look into it since I have 100% gas available to me. I just can't help but remember trashing my dad's Husqvarna chainsaw in high school by running it on E10. Obviously a Toyota is not a chainsaw and my car would tolerate ethanol much better, but I've stayed away since then.

They're forced to; there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ethansisson View Post

E10 and Stabil is what I have to do. The only E0 that I can really find is VP Racing Fuel (friends who race) but it is very expensive even with no road taxes paid on it. The two stations on Pure-Gas.org listed here never seem to be open when I have been by them. They are on the other side of town so I am not driving by them often.

Two-strokes seem to be a bit more sensitive to it than 4-stroke engines.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Two-strokes seem to be a bit more sensitive to it than 4-stroke engines.
    Definitely.

To get back on topic, I think the point was that if Shell sells ethanol-free gas they can differentiate from Sam's gas and keep their business up. There's definitely a market for 100% gas in OKC, given how widely available it is. Even if they don't adapt, Shell probably won't have much trouble.

No it is not and I go out of my way to get E0 gas. Ethanol a) does absolutely nothing to help the environment(arguably makes it worse) b) rusts fuel tanks that are not set-up to be used with ethanol and c) reduces gas mileage. Many people still want E0 gas and I hope ethanol is done away with.

Side note/question?

What ever happened to Lynn Hickey Dodge or Lynn Hickey for that matter?
    They had a HUGE dealership there..

Thread Information