Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Falcones in Bethany

Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

Since the question was asked and I was chastised for not saying anything good about a restaurant and called an amateur restaurant critic, I eat at Falcone's once a week because I like the sandwiches and cannoli. I thought I made that clear in my original post. I went to the new Bethany location on opening night Monday and like some of the things they are doing. The menu is much more extensive than the other stores with a lot of entree and pasta dishes including steak and chicken dishes not offered at the other Falcone's. They do have lasagne as suggested and the pasta dishes come with a salad. The have some soups listed such as Italian Wedding Soup and Pasta ***ioli but none were available the first night. The breakfast menu has the standard egg, meat, and pancake combinations with some added twists. There is not a breakfast pizza but there is a breakfast calzone. The breakfast food is served anytime and is priced well.

Like a lot of new restaurants, they need to work out some of the service kinks. I think the crowd on the opening Monday Night was larger than anticipated and they did not have enough wait staff or kitchen help. This happens a lot at a busy restauarant opening. I hope this location is successful. Bethany does not have many full-service restaurants and has not supported them well in recent years.

Bigray in Ok
    Amateur Restaurant Critic
    Experienced Eater

Can they serve Wine?
    Does Bethany have a law against alcohol in restaurants?

No wine without a license for it. Harbor House had a liquor and wine license so it's not against Bethany law. Haven't heard if Falcone's is getting one or not??

4. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

bigray, i believe we were just messing with you. your post was funny because you said a lot of the stuff was just ok and a couple of things were good, but you ate there all the time.

Thanks Jim, I am fairly new to this board and I do not know everyone's nuances. I have posted for years on Chowhound.com and have invested a lot of money in the OKC restaurant industry. My body shows it. On the alcohol question, the Falcone's in Bethany has beer and wine listed on the menu. Harbor House was the first restaurant I ever remember having a liquor license in Bethany. Bethany got its first liquor store in the late 90's at 39th and Rockwell. It has since closed and there is one at N.W. 36th and Rockwell next to 7-11. Bethany was founded by members of the Nazarene church which is very anti-alcohol. There is land in Bethany which has restrictive covenants prohibitinig the sale of alcohol or tobacco. I guess the property Falcone's sits on does not have one.

Bigray in Ok

I'm not a professional critic, but due to my profession I deal with food regularly.

I have tried Falcones - we were there on Sunday for breakfast. My sister ordered the breakfast calzone - it was awesome! I had a burger and fries and it was just as good. We were very pleased. We did have to wait about 15 minutes to be seated - not because they were busy, but because no one heard the door open (there's no "ding") and we didn't know where they were.

Now ... my favorite place to get pizza is Papa Angelo's. I love the pizza as well as the family atmosphere. I don't go really often, but I've gone often enough that they recognize me now and I always feel at home. I always get the supreme and an order of knots. Great pizza ... great people ... great atmosphere.

7. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

haven't been to the bethany falcone's yet, but we will. danny and his crew always do a great job.

did try papa angelo's tonight. completely different pizza from falcones (or anybody else in town, honestly). both are really good, just depends on what kind of pizza you are in the mood for. i'll give both of them my business, different type of products, so i don't even view them as competitors.

Whatever, they both claim to be authentic NYC style, and are similar, although I think Papa Angelo's does a MUCH better job on delivering quality and authenticity. Falcone's loses it in the crust, it's too thick and they don't give it enough attention like Angelo's does.

Falcone's in Edmond is now closed.

Perhaps this thread would be more appropriate, since the Bethany store is a different concept.

http://www.okctalk.com/food-restaura...alcones-7.html

11. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Whatever, they both claim to be authentic NYC style, and are similar, although I think Papa Angelo's does a MUCH better job on delivering quality and authenticity. Falcone's loses it in the crust, it's too thick and they don't give it enough attention like Angelo's does.
    whatever? i'll see your whatever, and i'll raise it with a "says you"...

2 different interpretations of NYC style. Angelo's crust is cracker crispy while Falcone's is foldably soft. both styles can be found in NYC, so both are viable.

like i said, just depends on which one you are in the mood for.

I've noticed their crust thickness to vary too much for me personally. When the May store originally opened, I loved it...it's still good, but with the above mentioned inconsistencies, it's not worth the drive from the Paseo.

13. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    Falcone's in Edmond is now closed.
    thats because it sucked....bad. worst falcones ever.

14. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

We at there last night. It was fantastic! Pizza was better than any I have eaten in OKC with a crust that was light and crisp but full of flavor with topping that were fresh and high quality. Best tiramisu I have ever eaten except for Il Pialto in Santa Fe we ordered it to take home and the waiter dropped off two little scoops of spumoni for us to try-it was creamy and full of pistachios. Salad was generous and fresh. Linguine with clam sauce was excellent. The linguine was al dente and had not sat in hot water for ever like most. The waiter seemed flustered but he was very nice and got the order right and it was out quick. We are taking the family next weekend to try the Chicken Parmesan family dinner because it is super cheap. Bethany needs this restaurant so badly, I hope the locals will stop there rather than heading to Memorial or Bricktown, we need to save our gas!

I went Wednesday night and it was closed. There was mail in the mail box that had not been picked up and phone books sitting in fornt of the door. It appeared to me it has closed down.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    II guess I'm in a minority on this, but I've tried Falcone's a couple of times, and I just don't like it - NY authenticity notwithstanding.
    Trust me, it is a poor representation of NY pizza, as someone who used to live there and visits regularly.

By the way, only tourists would go to Little Italy to get pizza. It's not there. The best slices in New York are in the Village, Lower East Side, Soho, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, etc.

Danny Falcone is a New Yorker, but that doesn't mean he can make good pizza. His pizza is OK, but it's not like the best -- or even average -- places to get a slice in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    I went Wednesday night and it was closed. There was mail in the mail box that had not been picked up and phone books sitting in fornt of the door. It appeared to me it has closed down.

Bigray in Ok
    Don't start rumors. I highly doubt it was closed down. I saw cars in the parking lot just a day or two before. I'm sure they were just closing early in prep for the snow/ice storm.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Trust me, it is a poor representation of NY pizza, as someone who used to live there and visits regularly.

By the way, only tourists would go to Little Italy to get pizza. It's not there. The best slices in New York are in the Village, Lower East Side, Soho, Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, etc.

Danny Falcone is a New Yorker, but that doesn't mean he can make good pizza. His pizza is OK, but it's not like the best -- or even average -- places to get a slice in NYC.
    Exactly. Heck, Papa Angelo's in Bethany has the best NYC pizza hands down.

19. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

Don't start rumors. I highly doubt it was closed down. I saw cars in the parking lot just a day or two before. I'm sure they were just closing early in prep for the snow/ice storm.
    a friend from Yukon told me he thinks they are closed.

does anyone know if this is true or not?

Joe at Papa Angelo's told me they had closed

maybe they have, but let's not start rumors until we can verify. I'm not surprised if it is true though. Falcone's has been on the decline and nothing has lasted in that space.

I am not starting rumors. My post was made last week on Wednesday, not the day before the storm hit. I went by on Saturday and it was closed also. I am reporting what I saw, a closed restaurant. By the way, I just called the Falcone's on May and yes, the Bethany location is closed. It is not a rumor.

Bigray in Ok

23. Default Re: Falcones in Bethany

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    I just called the Falcone's on May and yes, the Bethany location is closed. It is not a rumor.
    thanks for calling and the verification.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

Who DOES have the best NYC-style pizza here in town? I've been wondering...

I'll put my vote in for Papa Angelos in Bethany.

Thread Information