Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    I worked in broadcasting for 25 years. We talked many times of stations "flipping" to this or that format, so theparkman is not off base. That's a bit picky even if he were wrong.

It's now New Country at 93.3 and Classic Country at 97.3. Both still locally owned by Tyler Media (Ralph Tyler). That, in itself, is a miracle in this day and age. Radio has become dominated by very few huge corporations that have systematically destroyed radio in the process.
    Actually Tony Tyler, Ralph hasn't been in the business for awhile.

2. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Actually Tony Tyler, Ralph hasn't been in the business for awhile.
    Ralph Tyler began Tyler Media. That's all I meant. The Tyler's keeping it locally owned has been a huge success, and somewhat of a miracle, in the age of the behomoths.

If anyone is interested 94.1 is now playing "old school" R&B from the 70's, and the 80's and early 90's to a lesser extent. So if KOMA or Magic 104.1 isn't getting it done with your boogie-down disco hits, you now have another option.

It's now New Country at 93.3 and Classic Country at 97.3. Both still locally owned by Tyler Media (Ralph Tyler). That, in itself, is a miracle in this day and age. Radio has become dominated by very few huge corporations that have systematically destroyed radio in the process.
    THat is amazing in itself, even the legendary "Local Austin" station is owned by Emmis out of Indianapolis but from what I have been told they have maintained much of the same staff, programming and feel of when it was a "local" station. It is about the only terrestrial radio that I listen to and that isn't very often.

Ralph Tyler began Tyler Media. That's all I meant. The Tyler's keeping it locally owned has been a huge success, and somewhat of a miracle, in the age of the behomoths.
    Hey MikeOKC

I wanted to let you know that during my last 12 years of employment for Tyler media, I saw Ralph, Tony and Ty nearly every single day at work. Being locally owned definitely made a big difference for all of us employed by them. It's not often in radio that you see the person that signs your paycheck daily.

James

There's a blog post that came in an email today, it is focused on rock/modern rock but I think it can pretty much apply to most genres. The biggest problem is the debt that the Clear Channel's and such accrued in their buying sprees and debt payments are coming due. That is the big anchor that is around the necks of those running the individual stations, the pressure from the money people who know absolutely nothing about radio. I miss the days of AOR and think it could pretty much work with any genre and would give people a reason to listen.

Basically the corporate programming has ruined the medium and gives the public very little reason to listen.

I used to listen to the KATT most of the time but even before I moved to Austin in 2003 I had pretty much gone over to listening to CD's. The "personalities" on there gave me no compelling reason to listen and pretty much always pandered to the lowest common denominator, especially Rick & Brad and Jake Daniels, whenever they were on I turned it to something else. I didn't care to listen to their mindless crap which was about 99.9% based on making fun of others.

MOG - Radio Silence: The Slow Death of Rock 'n Roll on the Airwaves

I really liked Jack FM. They would occasionally play some Pet Shop Boys or Depeche Mode and it would make my day.

Another country station, REALLY?? REALLY?

8. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

I'm very in to talk radio. I'd love to have an FM talk station. KRMG in Tulsa added an FM station. It would be nice for OKC to do the same.

I never understood all of the "Bob FM" and "Jack FM" Names, they seem to be all over the country. We had Bob FM and Ted FM in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    I'm very in to talk radio. I'd love to have an FM talk station. KRMG in Tulsa added an FM station. It would be nice for OKC to do the same.
    I agree, it is time that either KTOK or KOKC have a simulcast on the FM, or a news/talk station on the FM, I think somebody said something on here that it doesn't make sense to put KTOK on the FM, really, I think it does and I think its about time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by theparkman81 View Post
    I agree, it is time that either KTOK or KOKC have a simulcast on the FM, or a news/talk station on the FM, I think somebody said something on here that it doesn't make sense to put KTOK on the FM, really, I think it does and I think its about time to do it.
    But KTOK is already rebroadcasted on FM on KXXY 96.1. But the problem is you have to have an HD radio to tune it in. At least I do.

Quote Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
    I really liked Jack FM. They would occasionally play some Pet Shop Boys or Depeche Mode and it would make my day.

I liked Jack FM too. The only real issue I had with them is I would lose the signal out by Quail Springs Mall. I also like Classic Country so KXXY is where I'll get my country fix. Also on the FM talk radio deal. WBAP out of Fort Worth also added an FM simulcast on 96.7 FM.

Although technically Country, KKNG, which is the one that moved to 97.3, is OLDIES Country, a different format. We are really more saturated with Sports radio than Country.

How about being able to listen to ESPN radio somewhere. I liked it when 930 was on and you could listen to Mike and Mike in the morning.

I like Mike and Mike as well but then again I have the XM radio which has the ESPN radio channel.

16. Default Re: What's Happening to OKC Radio Stations?

You may hear what you are looking for on RadioOKC.

Chris
    Radio OKC - Where it's all about the music!

In regards to OKC radio stations, I wonder how it is that this market can support six sports talk stations, with three on FM but not a single alternative rock station? How can this city support an NBA team but can't support a hip-hop station? How can OKC support four classic rock stations and two playing 1950s country but only a single Top-40 that is generally months late at adding new music? I know "who listens to terrestrial radio anymore?" but I've fallen on hard financial times and satellite radio is something that had to go. I know bad terrestrial radio isn't just an OKC problem, its a nationwide trend in recent years, but it seems like terrestrial radio is especially bad here, almost unbelievably bad being that this isn't a rural area. There was a time, not long ago, when OKC actually did have better radio stations and some variety so maybe the market will one day correct itself.

The ZERO local talk option is annoying. I used to get some pretty good info from listening to Ron Black/Mark Shannon, etc., even though I mostly disagreed.

I listen to NPR & the Spy. That is literally the only local radion I can handle. I had the misfortune of riding with a friend one morning and he had the Katt on. Within 3 minutes I was ready to through myself out of a moving vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    I listen to NPR & the Spy. That is literally the only local radion I can handle. I had the misfortune of riding with a friend one morning and he had the Katt on. Within 3 minutes I was ready to through myself out of a moving vehicle.
    The Spy is online only now isn't it?

I usually have it on KCSC Classical 90.1 because its about all that is tolerable on the dial here. I don't care for sports or 1950s country or 1970s Southern rock. Tulsa actually has some decent radio stations between 92.1 The Beat, 104.5 The Edge, and K-Jamz 105.3. Why don't stations like that work in OKC? We aren't Dodge City, KS.

Quote Originally Posted by kswright29 View Post
    How about being able to listen to ESPN radio somewhere. I liked it when 930 was on and you could listen to Mike and Mike in the morning.
    Its on 640 AM in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The Spy is online only now isn't it?

I usually have it on KCSC Classical 90.1 because its about all that is tolerable on the dial here. I don't care for sports or 1950s country or 1970s Southern rock. Tulsa actually has some decent radio stations between 92.1 The Beat, 104.5 The Edge, and K-Jamz 105.3. Why don't stations like that work in OKC? We aren't Dodge City, KS.
    The Spy comes on after 7pm on KOSU.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    ?

The KATT is slow to change. They seriously need to kill the Rick and Brad show.

Radio, like any medium, is all about the money. They target the demographics that have the money to spend. That's what their sponsors like. That's why alternative music of the 90s (Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana) is the classic rock of today. They're targeting people in their 30s and 40s.

I remember The Spy was nails in the late 80s early 90s. I haven't listened in ages. I remember back then it was hard to recieve. You had to be driving in just the right direction and hold your tongue just right to get a good signal. But they had great music. When they played music.

?

You missed another typo I made...

That is literally the only local radion I can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    In regards to OKC radio stations, I wonder how it is that this market can support six sports talk stations, with three on FM but not a single alternative rock station? How can this city support an NBA team but can't support a hip-hop station? How can OKC support four classic rock stations and two playing 1950s country but only a single Top-40 that is generally months late at adding new music? I know "who listens to terrestrial radio anymore?" but I've fallen on hard financial times and satellite radio is something that had to go. I know bad terrestrial radio isn't just an OKC problem, its a nationwide trend in recent years, but it seems like terrestrial radio is especially bad here, almost unbelievably bad being that this isn't a rural area. There was a time, not long ago, when OKC actually did have better radio stations and some variety so maybe the market will one day correct itself.
    While I mostly agree with you (well, not about the hip-hop) - how many times can you post the same thing? You've posted practically the same thing too many times to count. They still aren't listening to you. People who listen to hip-hop, generally speaking, don't have two nickles to rub together. Not exactly a money-making demographic. It's also hard to keep advertisers on hip-hop because they don't want the association with rape, assault, misogyny, murder, profanity, etc.

Thread Information