Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Irma's

Default Irma's ... going Downhill?

so I used to LOVE to eat at Irma's (nw 63rd location) & since I had the $$ and was in the area today for a Girl Scout Function, I thought I'd eat there.

boy was I very disappointed, service was great but seems like the food has gone downhill a bit from what it used to be a year or two ago... ordered a chz burger med Rare & bacon chz Fries. Fries were good but ( & I seem to remember this from last time I got them) the Chz was very spare & didn't even stick to the fries! when I order Chz fries , I expect the cheese to be all melty & gooey & all over the Fries, seeping down to the next layer of fries... not to fall OFF of the fri when I pick it up..

as for the Burger? well it was falling apart & had very little pink in it & seemed on the thin side & a sprinkle of shredded chz (not melted at all) , when I said it wasn't med rare, (and I eat my burgers/ steaks med rare so I KNOW what it's sps'd to look like.... warm Pink center) waitress looked at it & said yes it was , & that it was a great job, but said she could have them cook me another one more rare, I agreed, ....so they brought me out that was & it was really TOO rare for my palate but I was attempting to eat it..
    Manager? I guess? came over & I guess noticed my expression & asked if it was maybe a lil too rare for me? I said yes & he took it & had them cook it a lil more so it was better but still not the best I've had.. (again the chz on this one was the same, small sprinkle of shredded chdr chz, not melted & a thin, falling apart patty ), I'm not sure if it was a cheaper variety of Chz or what but all I know is I doubt I'll be going back to Irma's to eat for a long time if ever espc for a Total of $16. ... I can go to Johnnies & get a thicker burger & baked potato for the same price! or even any of the other GOOD burger places arnd town

Default Re: Irma's ... going Downhill?

Did you express any of this to the person who may (not) have been the manager?

In a city with an embarrassment of burger riches, the continuing existence of Irma's mystifies me. I am consistently under-impressed with the quality of their food.

Particularly the midtown location doesn't make sense to me. How is this still in business with quality burgers at the Garage and Nick's just blocks away? Heck even Kaiser's puts out a better burger (if--BIG IF--you can catch Kaiser's with the doors open).

I still like Irma's, you just have to request the No Name meat for your burger. Their regular patties suck. I also find their fries the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    I still like Irma's, you just have to request the No Name meat for your burger. Their regular patties suck. I also find their fries the best.
    Ok, I think I might've ranted about this before, but I think their regular patties are frozen patties. I've been to Irma's maybe, 4-5 times now, including once like 10 years ago before OKC blew up with amazing burger joints. At that time, I remember it being good but don't remember if I ordered the No Name meat.

Can someone confirm if their regular patties are frozen, because I seriously felt like I could tell on my 2nd and 3rd visits? I was extremely underwhelmed with the quality, and felt like it was a frozen patty. If so, why even bother if you are trying to compete with the amazing burger offerings OKC has to offer? Just make your No Name the standard, and raise the price just a tad to cover it, and I think people would be a lot happier with them.

Default Re: Irma's

I believe they are, and why they don't serve No Name meat exclusively baffles me, perhaps a supply limitation?

I've always ordered the no-name and have always rather enjoyed it.

Yeah, no-name is the way to go, done medium. We were there a few weeks ago and it was still as good as we've had (we don't get the fries, though, we get okra, slaw, onion rings, or red beans, usually), plenty of bleu cheese and bacon on my burger and it was cooked right.

they were all made w/ the No Name beef now, the Manger-ish guy was the one who checked on me & the burger, & no I didn't... :/ maybe I should have but I was just disappointed & didn't think to

Jus to confirm, everything is served now with No Name beef. Been several times recently and it's been fantastic. My wife swears by their green chile burger, and there is not a better basket of fries in town.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Jus to confirm, everything is served now with No Name beef. Been several times recently and it's been fantastic. My wife swears by their green chile burger, and there is not a better basket of fries in town.
    Yep, went last weekend and also heard that from the server. They're in the process of revamping their menu (sides, mainly, I think she said), most likely to compete with S&B and The Garage.

Irma's at 63rd and Western will be closing come August... landlord does not want to renew their lease. The owner said that they are trying to locate a new location in the same area, and if nothing can be found, will be a permanent closure.
    Last edited by ditm4567; 07-10-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added part about finding a new location

Horrible news!!! I believe they're the best burger around (haven't tried Nic's or Lipsmackers yet, though, guess we need to in order to find an Irma's replacement sooner rather than later), and for some reason, their Midtown location isn't nearly as good as the original (been going to the original since it's been Doc's).

However, if they can't find a new place, that would indicate they're not trying - there are literally probably 200-300 of places within a 2-mile radius of there they could go in (some with more remodeling/building than others, but still). They need to check out where Fusion Charcoal Grill is on NW 36th/May - busted water pipes back in Feb, owner hasn't done anything to it, just waiting out his lease apparently, and it's already fitted for a restaurant.

Isn't their landlord Chesapeake?

Blog Entries

Um, re-open in midtown? I don't think anything has take that space yet. I mean, vs closing, even if it's just while you're looking for another space up north.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

Chesapeake sold most of that corner to their current landlord last year.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Um, re-open in midtown? I don't think anything has take that space yet. I mean, vs closing, even if it's just while you're looking for another space up north.
    I think they're still in Midtown, despite what they said about closing that location a while ago - there are Yelp reviews that are recent. So it might be a stopgap for us, just weird that location wasn't as good as the original (in our opinion).

Yes, they did not close that Midtown location.

And they just recently posted about coming to see them after the streetcar is up and running, which won't be to the end of the year so I don't think they are going anywhere anytime soon.

Blog Entries

Interesting... and good! I had been ruling them out of my downtown meal thoughts because I presumed they were closed...

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    Chesapeake sold most of that corner to their current landlord last year.
    So who owns this property and - presumably - contingent property to the north and west?

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    So who owns this property and - presumably - contingent property to the north and west?
    Bank 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Bank 7.
    Are there any tenants in the strip center north of Irma's? I know the liquor store had to relocate. I imagine that Bank7 has grown large enough that they'll need to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Are there any tenants in the strip center north of Irma's? I know the liquor store had to relocate. I imagine that Bank7 has grown large enough that they'll need to expand.
    Last time we went by (which was a few months ago), I believe the strip center was still completely empty (as it had been for a while). So we might get a bigger Bank7 building (or more parking) instead of Irma's, yay. Not sure if it's better than another strip mall with a pizza place, nail salon, liquor store, and vape shop...

Horrible news!!! I believe they're the best burger around (haven't tried Nic's or Lipsmackers yet, though, guess we need to in order to find an Irma's replacement sooner rather than later), and for some reason, their Midtown location isn't nearly as good as the original (been going to the original since it's been Doc's).

However, if they can't find a new place, that would indicate they're not trying - there are literally probably 200-300 of places within a 2-mile radius of there they could go in (some with more remodeling/building than others, but still). They need to check out where Fusion Charcoal Grill is on NW 36th/May - busted water pipes back in Feb, owner hasn't done anything to it, just waiting out his lease apparently, and it's already fitted for a restaurant.

I've heard they had the best patty. I'll never know =(

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I've heard they had the best patty. I'll never know =(
    You still have time, and their Midtown location will still be open. Wish we could remember exactly why we thought the Midtown location was inferior to the 63rd one, guess we'll have time to find out.

Aside - went to the Garage for the second time (first time was years ago when there were only 2, I think, and had the bison patty, which wasn't great, and the sweet potato fries, ditto), and had the jalapeno bacon cheeseburger (beef patty) and fries - totally underwhelmed again, not sure why folks think they're so great, but probably because of the atmosphere, beer, and ubiquity.

Wish we could remember exactly why we thought the Midtown location was inferior to the 63rd one, guess we'll have time to find out.
    can't put my finger on it either but i agree... historically, the burgers have always seemed a little better to me at the 63rd street location. the last couple times I've been at the midtown location I've been a bit disappointed... i ordered my burger medium and it came out well-done. it wasn't the end of the world but that never happened to me once in all the times i've been to the 63rd street location.

Thread Information