Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MAP IV (Oklahoma City 2017) possible extension date: December 2017

1. Default Re: MAP IV (Oklahoma City 2017) possible extension date: December 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Reminder: Brainstorming thread. Please avoid critiques...

brainstorm techniques, brain storming - how to run brainstorming sessions, brainstorming activities, ideas and meetings

We need your ideas:

Here are some previous OKCTALK MAPS IV thread ideas you may want to revisit:

MAPS IV
    MAPS IV & Transportation Bond Package Wishlist
    MAPS 4 Brainstorming
    MAPS 4 Infrastructure
    MAPS 4 Neighborhoods
    Actually we need more critical thinking all around.

Also, define "direct" rail access to WRWA? Typically airport light rails only work if they connect neighborhoods along the way...

Blog Entries

Default Re: MAP IV (Oklahoma City 2017) possible extension date: December 2017

Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (Indianapolis)

Would like to see some kind of veterans memorial monument (dedicated to all veterans); something comparable to Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (Indianapolis) or the Land Run Monument on the Bricktown Canal.

Land Run Monument, Oklahoma City

Direct rail from downtown to WRWA. Connection would include limited hotels on Meridian, then follow the river to downtown with possible stops at the Wheeler district then connect to the Santa Fe station hub.

Here are my three MAPS IV wish list items.

1) Streetcar expansion (Classen and Capitol Hill)
    2) Commuter rail extension to WRWA with airport check-in at Santa Fe Station.
    3) Waterfront restoration - City wide. This would require buying and tearing down every house/business that is adjacent to a stream/creek/river and replacing it with passive park space and bike paths. Would also require day-lighting creeks.

5. Default Re: MAP IV (Oklahoma City 2017) possible extension date: December 2017

So would you need to buy a flight in order to take the airport line to your house or job in SW OKC?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    So would you need to buy a flight in order to take the airport line to your house or job in SW OKC?
    Come on Spartan: Why would you want to restrict or limit that access if it's in your line of destination? We're brainstorming; we'll get to the cross-examination stage later stick a pin in it; save your questions for later.

Next idea? Keep the juices flowing...

Blog Entries

Excerpts (ideas) from MAPS 4 Neighborhoods thread:

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    Personally, I'd suggest a relatively short MAPS 4 proposal. Maybe 3 years. Focus it entirely on the neighborhoods. Touch on a lot of places where MAPS support wasn't as strong. Trails, sidewalks, streetlights, things like that. Bike lanes. Maybe a few community centers.

Then you gear up for MAPS 2020. That one would be the big one that has a metro-wide light rail system. You have to get Edmond, Norman, Mid/Del all on board with it. Have a big coordinated push.
    Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    If the goal for Maps 5 is get RTA, better make sure Maps 4 passes.

Maps 4 will probably shape up like this.

Lots of sidewalks, bike lanes, bike trails.
    Bricktown canal expansion towards the west.
    District entrances/exits
    More sidewalks
    Street car expansion all the way up classen ending at the classen triangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I think the MAPS model would be great for expanding the streetcar and building a commuter rail system. It would also be good for a city-wide trail system connecting neighborhoods and parks, which is something I think is badly needed in OKC.

In terms of other infrastructure improvements, I think a bond package is probably the best way to go about it and not a MAPS package. The first reason is it would be difficult to bring the entire city on board for things like sidewalks and beautification in the urban core since most OKC residents don't live in the urban core. These improvements are beyond necessary though and its important that the city find a way to make it happen. The second reason is the city limits are so vast that if you tried to invest in all neighborhoods, it would be virtually impossible to do so and have any kind of impact at all.

Blog Entries

Excerpts (ideas) from MAPS IV & Transportation Bond Package Wishlist thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A new I-35 bridge over the river like this would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Here is a poll I did earlier in the year and the responses:

http://www.okctalk.com/general-civic...e-maps-iv.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've said several times that recreation (bike, running, hiking trails, improved parks, possibly a large aquatic center near the river, etc.) should be the primary focus, along with extending the streetcar to the Health Sciences Center.

No, it wouldn't require an airline ticket. Ticketed passengers would just have the option of checking their bags at Santa Fe station. Heck, the line itself could be extended to Mustang during peak hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (Indianapolis)

Would like to see some kind of veterans memorial monument (dedicated to all veterans); something comparable to Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument (Indianapolis) or the Land Run Monument on the Bricktown Canal.

Land Run Monument, Oklahoma City
    I've been saying for awhile now that the City needs to start going vertical with its memorials and not horizontal.

JTF The land run was a very Horizontal Event , stretching for hundreds of square miles.
    I believe a horizontal memorial seems appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
    JTF The land run was a very Horizontal Event , stretching for hundreds of square miles.
    I believe a horizontal memorial seems appropriate
    The Louisiana Purchase covered 827,000 sq miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The Louisiana Purchase covered 827,000 sq miles.

I'm assuming that's not a serious comeback, Kerry. LOL

14. Default Re: MAP IV (Oklahoma City 2017) possible extension date: December 2017

No, it wouldn't require an airline ticket. Ticketed passengers would just have the option of checking their bags at Santa Fe station. Heck, the line itself could be extended to Mustang during peak hours.
    I'm confused then..

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm assuming that's not a serious comeback, Kerry. LOL
    Sure it was.

I'm confused then..
    What part is confusing you? A train would run from Santa Fe station to Mustang with a stop at WRWA. Anyone working at WRWA or just going to see off departing passenger/greet arriving passengers could use it.

If a ticketed airline passenger had luggage they could check their bags at Santa Fe station where they would be placed in a secured cage and transported on the same train to the airport where they would be x-rayed and put on the plane.

I've been saying for awhile now that the City needs to start going vertical with its memorials and not horizontal.
    I really think the Land Run monument should be somewhere else, perhaps in Myriad Gardens, the new Central Park, or integrated in with the urban fabric elsewhere downtown where people will naturally walk by/through it. Maybe find a way to incorporate it outside of the new convention center or within the mixed-use development that ends up at the Cox site. It shouldn't be out in Hoganville surrounded by surface parking on all sides.

While a slightly different subject, the quality of memorials in this country is appaling, to the point of being a national disgrace. If the best we can do to honor fallen heros, civic leaders, and others who inspire us as a society is to name a freeway interchange, bridge, block of city street, or a park after them then we need to rethink our whole value system. And hell, it isn't even new stuff. We name stuff that is already laying around because we can't be hasseled with creating something new.

As for the landrun memorial, instead of memorializing the event, why not memorialize the belief that insired the event? THAT is the important part.

Land run monument should be moved to the Central Park. It should be something you seek out in the park, just as the settlers seeked out their claims.

The Landrun monument was a State project, but I would support a monument to the founding of OKC (so long as it is vertcal in nature) as part of MAPS IV. It could be a column, arch, oblisk, fountain, monolith, statue, or building - but what OKC doesn't need to do is rename some random patch of grass Founders Park or some similar nonsense. Spend some money and make something architecturally significant and put it in a prominant location.

21. Default Re: MAP IV (Oklahoma City 2017) possible extension date: December 2017

The Land Run monument doesn't need to be moved anywhere, nor will it be. And it is not in "Hoganville"; it is in a public park SOUTH of Lower Bricktown. The area around it will be further developed at some point, and sits at the juncture of Bricktown and the Boathouse district. This area will become much more important very soon as the whitewater facility comes online, and the monument will play a role in this.

22. Default Re: MAP IV (Oklahoma City 2017) possible extension date: December 2017

Love all your ideas. Not seeing how they can be incorporated seemlessly into the new county jail though.

Are we thinking horizontal land run monument on a parcel in Far East OKC across from Choctaw, where the new MAPS 4 Jail will be? As for that streetcar, is that like a strange hybrid modern paddy wagon? I like it. Very progressive features for a jail!

Ahem...

23. Default Re: MAP IV (Oklahoma City 2017) possible extension date: December 2017

What part is confusing you? A train would run from Santa Fe station to Mustang with a stop at WRWA. Anyone working at WRWA or just going to see off departing passenger/greet arriving passengers could use it.

If a ticketed airline passenger had luggage they could check their bags at Santa Fe station where they would be placed in a secured cage and transported on the same train to the airport where they would be x-rayed and put on the plane.
    It just doesn't seem feasible for public transit. For example, typically streetcars are "rapid boarding" which means they just spot check for tickets bc there isn't time to validate everyone as they board. Checking luggage somehow always takes the person in front of me 15 minutes...that's a line with bad luck for me.

TSA at the Sante Fe station and riding shotgun on the train to WRWA? I don't think they would be receptive. Relevant questions, did you pack your own luggage and have they been under your control since you packed them?

Maps IV ...Neighborhoods.

Spartan and mkjeeves - what I am proposing is done around the world, even here in the US, everyday. You can check into your flight at any Disney World hotel and check your luggage right there. They put it in a TSA container that goes on the same bus you ride to Orlando International. Virgin Atlantic will even pick your luggage up at your house. As for waiting behind someone checking into a flight; you would only do that if you were also checking into a flight. There would simply be an airline check-in counter at the station and maybe some self-checkin kiosks for those not checking bags.

So when you are asked, has your luggage been under your control the whole time the answer is Yes, and now it is under the control of an airline representative. You don't get your luggage back at WRWA, you get it back at your final destination.

Thread Information