Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natural Grocers

Default Re: Natural Grocers

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Super excited to see the SW side one...and it not be way the crap down at 119th and May or something. This one will be within a reasonable drive for me!!! YAY!
    Me too.

More on the Natural Grocers on N. May, which should be starting construction very soon:

3. Default Re: Natural Grocers

Be prepared for some of the cheesiest commercials on TV!

Very nice. Are they comparable to Sprouts?

There's a Natural Grocer on Main Street in Norman. It's been open about two years now. They are like sprouts in that they have a lot of organics and fresh produce, but in some ways are more like Whole Foods because they really focus on vitamins and allergen-free foods. They don't have as much in the way of fresh meats and don't really have a deli counter, at least the store in Norman doesn't. What they do have is all really high quality and their stores are deliberately smaller so you can get in and out quickly. Their staff is also really great. They carry many of the same brands as Sprouts. I actually like them quite a lot.

We're stoked about their 164th location because once the roads up here are finally repaired, it will be within easy biking/walking distance. I would call them a no-frills version of Sprouts, but their focus is on all organic/GMO-free food items, which is one reason their inventory is smaller. They also keep their overhead pretty low. Stores are small, fixtures are very sparse, and they don't offer grocery sacks at all. You have to take your own or they will give you a box from their shipping inventory. I'd say more mix of Sprouts and Akins as much as anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that the NW 69th St & N May Ave Natural Grocers location will put pressure on Akin's Natural Foods located at NW 63rd & N May Ave rather than Sprouts. Sprouts will hold its own in the battle of natural foods retailers.

NW 164th & Western

7/1/2014

sorry for the bad pic.. :/

9. Default Re: Natural Grocers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just learned there will be a third Natural Grocers location in OKC, this one on the SW corner of SW 89th & Penn:
    That is great news! That will give the natural food store on 74th and Penn some competition and hopefully they will lower their prices. I shop a lot at their Norman location and like their selection. I hope they open a small deli/smoothie counter. I lived in St Pete for 10 years and every one of their health food stores had one. Something I miss from the health food stores in the OKC metro. (Except for whole paycheck)

Just taken by warreng88 at NW 164th & Western:

There was still work to be done (as you can tell by the porto potties) but it looked like it could get cleaned up and completely open this weekend if they try hard enough. Not sure what the inside looks like, of course.

Website says grand opening of August 12th.

70th & N. May opens October 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Website says grand opening of August 12th.

70th & N. May opens October 7th.
    I drove by the other location and forgot this was going in. Looked like it was completely gutted and ready for some construction. I'll try to swing by and get a few pics on my way home.

i wonder if sw 89th & penn is still in the works... -M

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i wonder if sw 89th & penn is still in the works... -M
    Again, if I get out and about tomorrow, I'll look at that one too and send pics to Pete.

Nothing is happening on that land right now, construction wise. So save yourself the drive.

Source: Just got a snowcone from across the street less than 10 minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88
    Again, if I get out and about tomorrow, I'll look at that one too and send pics to Pete.
    i wouldn't go out of my way... i'm pretty certain they haven't even broken ground on this location, which is why i'm wondering aloud if it's really going to happen.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Nothing is happening on that land right now, construction wise. So save yourself the drive.

Source: Just got a snowcone from across the street less than 10 minutes ago.
    Good to know, thanks Catch.

This is from warreng88 of the N. May site:

I'm a little concerned that this is going to look like what they've done to the other half of that complex. It's pretty bad. No, it's really bad.

21. Default Re: Natural Grocers

I am more concerned that our City just allows for May ave., an already way too busy street, to add more and more grocery stores. This reminds me of the Walgreen's and CVS battle. We will now have an Akin's, Sprouts and Natural Grocers as neighbors. Anyone else see this as a problem? Why can't one of these companies find a suitable spot downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBerto View Post
    I am more concerned that our City just allows for May ave., an already way too busy street, to add more and more grocery stores. This reminds me of the Walgreen's and CVS battle. We will now have an Akin's, Sprouts and Natural Grocers as neighbors. Anyone else see this as a problem? Why can't one of these companies find a suitable spot downtown?
    yeah I've been using May ave. for the past couple weeks for a few things and that entire street needs to be widened to six lanes. The traffic is freakin insane on that road at times

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    yeah I've been using May ave. for the past couple weeks for a few things and that entire street needs to be widened to six lanes. The traffic is freakin insane on that road at times
    Sad thing is, it was like that in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Don't get your hopes up, they just resurfaced May from 36th to Britton and are getting ready to start the same work from Britton to Memorial, if I remember correcly. Oh and it maybe needs a fifth turning lane, but definitely does not need to be widened another one on both sides. A middle turn lane would get rid of a lot of the traffic there.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Don't get your hopes up, they just resurfaced May from 36th to Britton and are getting ready to start the same work from Britton to Memorial, if I remember correcly. Oh and it maybe needs a fifth turning lane, but definitely does not need to be widened another one on both sides. A middle turn lane would get rid of a lot of the traffic there.
    They also need to time the lights properly - going north when the Hefner light turns green, only to be stopped a block later when the Quail Creek one had turned red at almost the same instant as the Hefner one turned green. Same thing with 50th and the Target light. A turning lane would make May sooooooooooooooooooo much more drive-able! Never gonna happen, though, too many utility poles right up against the curbs for too much of May.

Thread Information