Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sauced on Paseo

Default Re: Sauced on Paseo

Yes, probably early February.

The pizza side is pretty much done but they are still working on the inside bar (immediately to the north).

So, early February has 5 days left before it becomes mid-February. I was talking to some friends a few nights ago and they agreed it was absolutely absurd that it was taking this long to reopen. *Dozens* of new restaurants have opened in the OKC metro area with no significant delays in the time since they've been closed. Do you know exactly what was out of their control that is delaying their reopening (have to get the pizza oven shipped from Italy a brick at a time)? Seems like all the other restaurants that opened after they closed had nearly the problems getting restaurant equipment that they have... Any actual, real opening date on the horizon?

They are close. I should have a date soon.

Do you actually believe they don't want to get open more than you and your friend?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So, early February has 5 days left before it becomes mid-February. I was talking to some friends a few nights ago and they agreed it was absolutely absurd that it was taking this long to reopen. *Dozens* of new restaurants have opened in the OKC metro area with no significant delays in the time since they've been closed. Do you know exactly what was out of their control that is delaying their reopening (have to get the pizza oven shipped from Italy a brick at a time)? Seems like all the other restaurants that opened after they closed had nearly the problems getting restaurant equipment that they have... Any actual, real opening date on the horizon?
    LOL. So you and your friends know everything that was involved in this specific project and based on your expertise have declared it "absolutely absurd"?

I am excited they are getting close. These things can be way harder than outsiders imagine and often there are unexpected setbacks. They seem to have powered through and hopefully they are able to make their same great pizzas as before. Looking forward to patronizing them especially in nice weather.

This is the same owner behind Frida, The Daley, Picasso, Oso, The Other Room and Flamingo. All of those are either newly built or dramatically renovated in just the last few years. And this is one person, not some huge conglomerate.

To question the job he is doing on Sauced is what is absurd.

There was a fire that had the place closed long before he took it over. They not only had to fix the ample fire damage (and deal with the insurance mess) but also expanded the building, bought all new equipment and furniture, completely rebuilt the patio and have done a top-to-bottom renovation at the bar next door (Sauced on the Side).

And as soon as it opens, the same critics will hate it anyway (it's not the same, food isn't as good, or some other manufactured excuse). At the same time, it will be more successful than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    LOL. So you and your friends know everything that was involved in this specific project and based on your expertise have declared it "absolutely absurd"?

I am excited they are getting close. These things can be way harder than outsiders imagine and often there are unexpected setbacks. They seem to have powered through and hopefully they are able to make their same great pizzas as before. Looking forward to patronizing them especially in nice weather.
    No, I don't know everything that was involved, but I'm pretty intelligent and know how construction and remodeling work (even commercial) and I haven't seen any other restaurant take this long to get back open, that's why I asked what was taking so long.

Name another restaurant that has taken this long to get back open after <insert catastrophe here>.

And thanks for the info that it's only one person, Pete, I thought Humankind Hospitality was a good-sized conglomerate, similar to the other non-HSRG groups here (unless they're all as small as Humankind). That pretty much explains it, now I know. But I believe Frida and Oso were complete and haven't been hugely renovated long before the fire at Sauced (we've been in both in the past year and they didn't seem any different than they were when they opened, pretty sure about that), I know Flamingo's a new build (and maybe more important to them to get more of a cashflow than Sauced would generate), didn't know the others had been dramatically renovated, haven't been in them recently. And I didn't say the job he was doing was absurd, I'm sure it will be very nice, I said the time it was taking was absurd. There *is* a difference (it's like saying something someone is doing is stupid, and they get mad at you for calling them stupid - there *is* a difference).

We know the folks involved with Humankind personally and they are just as irritated about how long it's taking as are anxiously awaiting patrons. Part of the hold up is they've been waiting on very specific kitchen equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    We know the folks involved with Humankind personally and they are just as irritated about how long it's taking as are anxiously awaiting patrons. Part of the hold up is they've been waiting on very specific kitchen equipment.
    Thanks, that is what I am curious about, just because I'm into those details, wondering what's so specific about it, what piece is it, what does it do... I know they have no obligation to share that information, though.

Thanks, that is what I am curious about, just because I'm into those details, wondering what's so specific about it, what piece is it, what does it do... I know they have no obligation to share that information, though.
    Based on this thread and the other thread, you seem oddly personally invested in Sauced opening immediately, almost as if it’s an affront to you, specifically, that they haven’t opened. What’s the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Based on this thread and the other thread, you seem oddly personally invested in Sauced opening immediately, almost as if it’s an affront to you, specifically, that they haven’t opened. What’s the deal?
    Simply that we think they had the best pizza and would deliver to us, we were frequent customers.

Blog Entries

No, I don't know everything that was involved, but I'm pretty intelligent and know how construction and remodeling work (even commercial) and I haven't seen any other restaurant take this long to get back open, that's why I asked what was taking so long.

Name another restaurant that has taken this long to get back open after <insert catastrophe here>.

And thanks for the info that it's only one person, Pete, I thought Humankind Hospitality was a good-sized conglomerate, similar to the other non-HSRG groups here (unless they're all as small as Humankind). That pretty much explains it, now I know. But I believe Frida and Oso were complete and haven't been hugely renovated long before the fire at Sauced (we've been in both in the past year and they didn't seem any different than they were when they opened, pretty sure about that), I know Flamingo's a new build (and maybe more important to them to get more of a cashflow than Sauced would generate), didn't know the others had been dramatically renovated, haven't been in them recently. And I didn't say the job he was doing was absurd, I'm sure it will be very nice, I said the time it was taking was absurd. There *is* a difference (it's like saying something someone is doing is stupid, and they get mad at you for calling them stupid - there *is* a difference).
    LOL. Glad you let us know that you are pretty intelligent.

I read absurd in the context it was written. But it is absurd to pass judgement on something about which one doesn't have all the facts or know all the context. Let me be clear.... am not calling you or your friends absurd, just calling the fact that they are claiming the delay is absurd given their specific knowledge of the situation is itself absurd. Is that an intelligent take?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is the same owner behind Frida, The Daley, Picasso, Oso, The Other Room and Flamingo. All of those are either newly built or dramatically renovated in just the last few years. And this is one person, not some huge conglomerate.

To question the job he is doing on Sauced is what is absurd.

There was a fire that had the place closed long before he took it over. They not only had to fix the ample fire damage (and deal with the insurance mess) but also expanded the building, bought all new equipment and furniture, completely rebuilt the patio and have done a top-to-bottom renovation at the bar next door (Sauced on the Side).

And as soon as it opens, the same critics will hate it anyway (it's not the same, food isn't as good, or some other manufactured excuse). At the same time, it will be more successful than ever.

The people at Humankind just get it. I'm thrilled that they are renovating Sauced on the Side. For anyone who has spent any amount of time in there, the thought of it getting an overhaul is exciting and remarkable.

As for delays, in addition to the aforementioned supply chain matters, dealing with city permitting and such can be an absolute nightmare. And that doesn't even include whatever hoops they have to jump through with ABLE.

Then, you have menu planning and re-planning. Not as easy as it seems I'm sure. Then, owing to the fact they are opening the bar next door, there's a whole different level of planning and programming that goes into that. They aren't going to turn it into Other Room the second, so one wonders what plans they have in store. DJ nights? Live music? Spoken word and poetry nights?

I'm not sure why they would rush to open Sauced in the dead of winter anyway. A significant amount of their business is patio related.

And, while I'm not a cult member, I greatly admire the work that Kim and Sean and Ryan do with humankind. They really understand how to fill much needed entertainment and community voids in this city and they absolutely understand the Paseo District and what it needs.

^

When equipment delays pushed the earliest completion into the holidays, they decided just to take their time and open after the first of the year. It's very hard to hire and train people over the holidays and Jan/Feb/Mar are the slowest time for restaurants, especially those that rely heavily on outdoor space.

Both those buildings were a wreck long before the fire. And the inside space at Sauced was far too small. SOS was long overdue for a renovation.

They are also adding more items, like breakfast, coffee and lunch. The hope is to make it an all-day hangout for the neighborhood.

They spent a ton of money and are doing things the right way, which is exactly what they've done in all their places in the Paseo.

I know the owner well and have been following the progress closer than anyone. Humankind has done wonderful things for the Paseo and OKC; we should be grateful for the huge investment and their commitment to doing things in a first class manner.

These are from 2-3 weeks ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    LOL. Glad you let us know that you are pretty intelligent.

I read absurd in the context it was written. But it is absurd to pass judgement on something about which one doesn't have all the facts or know all the context. ...
    Again, that's why I asked. And since Pete has replied with all kinds of good info, I now know some of it. Still would be interesting to know the very specific kitchen equipment that they can't get...

I was looking in the windows on February 3rd, Paseo Art Walk night with a friend and an employee stepped out to talk with us for a couple minutes. At that time, they said they were looking to open in 3 weeks. So I'm hoping by March's Paseo Art Walk they'll be open. *fingers crossed*

This is going to be a home run. It will be better than ever. The pizza at the last incarnation was good but was it as good as Ed’s pizza? No, it was not.

I fully expect better pizza, better service, a better vibe, and a happening new nightspot. It will be worth the wait.

^ Walked by early last week and they were training folks. Asked someone who said 2-3 weeks on an opening date. Do I wish they could open sooner? Of course. Do I think they're intentionally lighting money on fire without having any revenue just to annoy me....you be the judge!

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    ...Do I think they're intentionally lighting money on fire without having any revenue just to annoy me....you be the judge!

Blog Entries

Sauce had their soft opening yesterday, cinnamon rolls, strudel, and quiches for breakfast.

How is the strudel?

Blog Entries

They had run out, will have to try next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Sauce had their soft opening yesterday, cinnamon rolls, strudel, and quiches for breakfast.
    GTK, thanks, we'll give them a try in a month after they've (hopefully) worked out opening problems...

After a devastating fire, expansion and complete remodeling, Sauced in the Paseo is ready to open next week.

Now owned by Humankind Hospitality (Picasso Cafe. Frida. The Other Room, OSO and Flamingo), it will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner from 11 AM to Midnight every day.

There is still the great pizza by the slice or whole pies but also a larger menu.

More seating inside, a completely redone patio and the new bar is beautiful.

Stay tuned here and follow their social media to find out the exact day they open their doors as they finish up training and get ready to be a new all-day hangout spot in the heart of the Paseo.

TheTravellers, your time has come. I better see you there every day for a week, holding court on their patio.

Thread Information