Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talbots looking at Penn Square

1. Default Re: Talbots looking at Penn Square

Never hurts to be sure. It could have been Talbots since the thread is about them. Or about the new strip center. The message was not clear.

Default Re: Talbots looking at Penn Square

Our corporate offices have hinted at new ON locations in MWC, Yukon, South OKC, and in Westgate Plaza. These probable three will be the older-style, boutique-like stores, similar to those formerly at Quail Springs and Parkway Plaza. No more of the behemoth warehouses like those at Sooner or Quail - people in Oklahoma don't know how to shop nicely in our big stores...

3. Default Re: Talbots looking at Penn Square

Quote Originally Posted by kielaaron
    Our corporate offices have hinted at new ON locations in MWC, Yukon, South OKC, and in Westgate Plaza. These probable three will be the older-style, boutique-like stores, similar to those formerly at Quail Springs and Parkway Plaza. No more of the behemoth warehouses like those at Sooner or Quail - people in Oklahoma don't know how to shop nicely in our big stores...
    Are you saying the owners of Old Navy sent you this email?

If so, what an insult saying Oklahoman's do not know how to shop "nicely." The location on 240 is firm.

I have worked at Old Navy for several years and inthe past six months the corporate chatter about expanding the Oklahoma market has come up more regularly. 2006 was the date we've been tipped...

In regards to people not shopping nicely... it's the truth. I know that I watch people come into our stores and treat the place like it's a rummage sale. We can't keep up with them as they pay no regard to the state of our store and then complain to us about it, as though we like it the way they leave it. Just because we have clothes that ARE similar in price to a garage sale, they don't have to literally throw things about. This is true in all three stores in the metro area. Suddenly our stores are a battle zone in which we can fight no combat.

I just moved to the metro area ONs in 2001. We never had these problems where I came from. While I know it's insulting, it is also difficult to witness people behave like animals day after day and not come to such a conclusion. I would love to write a manners column in local newspapers to tell people how to better their own shopping experiences via a variety of behavioral standards!

Patrick Guest

The Yukon location is also a done deal....I've spoken with the developer out there.

Also, there is not currently an Old Navy at Westgate Market Place on Reno and MacArthurr...just a Ross, Shoe Carnival, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if an Old Navy were built out there though.

Also, as mranderson said, the Old Navy at the old Wal-Mart location is a done deal.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

That sucks. 50 Penn Place is the metro's best shopping mall...

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    What if a new mall was built?

Aren't southwest OKC, West Moore and northwest Norman higher income areas? In fact, isn't one of the zip codes down there the wealthiest one in the metro? Rivendell maybe? Penn Square isn't exactly a convenient drive (what, 20 minutes or so?) and forget about Quail Springs. I know Odom is a big time upscale developer out there. Maybe he could do something like that. Looking at a map, I-44 and SW 119th might be a general area to build a new upscale mall.

Of course, I'd bet there's even a market for a nice mall out further north of Quail Springs Mall in West Edmond/far north OKC off of Penn and Covell or Coffee Creek or even Waterloo maybe.
    I don't want to see Crossroads closed for this however. Crime will run rampant with the states largest one time mall a huge empty vacant building.

Yes, P.B. Odom is currently propelling himself into commerce. He is building a big center with an old navy, and all your big box retailers you could dream of at Penn and 74th street.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Unfortunately, the city of Edmond would never allow a mall to be built. The residents would complain forever.

Unfortunately, as we all know, malls are on the way out. The last mall was built like 3 or 4 years ago, if my recollection serves me correctly. Maybe SW OKC should consider a really nice shopping village like Utica Square.
    There is a Sak's going up at 15th and Bryant.

Don't worry. I'm going to begin editing my posts.

SW OKC needs upscale retail!
    people in Oklahoma don't know how to shop nicely in our big stores...
    This made me chuckle. The problem lies with Old Navy. They tried to cheaply consolidate the whopping OKLA market into a few stores in Lawton, OKC, and Tulsa. What do they expect? It will be mayhem! One of the world's busiest Wal Marts is in Lawton. It is getting better though, it was once the world's 5th busiest. When you have these problems, you have to deal with it.

P.B. Odom tore down the old Albertson's on Western and 104th. He is building a very, very upscale shopping center in it's place.

Patrick Guest

Actually, the writer of that article made a lot of statements about SpringCreek Village that aren't true. Saks has NOT made any commitments to come to Edmond.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

The basterd!

Patrick Guest

Just to make some comments on other threads listed here......50 Penn Place is going down because it doesn't have any major anchors and the owners are focusing more on the office tower. The mall will probably eventually be another office arena!

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Isn't it he metro's first "smart tower"?

13. Default Re: Talbots looking at Penn Square

50 Penn Place has a mall??? I thought it was just little shops and offices...you learn something new everyday huh?

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Yeah... the first 3 floors.

15. Default Re: Talbots looking at Penn Square

go fig...

Patrick Guest

If you want to call it that....there aren't too many shops left. Pendelton will be leaving soon. And Talbots may come after that.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Pendleton just opened up!!!

Thread Information