Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USS Oklahoma City

Default Re: USS Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Sorry, but the Oklahoma River was not originally a series of Lakes. It was formed by Damming the North Canadian River.

A 7-mile stretch of the North Canadian River has been transformed into a series of river lakes bordered by landscaped areas, trails and recreational facilities now known as the Oklahoma River.
    I remember back in the day when the running joke was we had to mow the North Canadian River every month or so.

2. Default Re: USS Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Sorry, but the Oklahoma River was not originally a series of Lakes. It was formed by Damming the North Canadian River.

A 7-mile stretch of the North Canadian River has been transformed into a series of river lakes bordered by landscaped areas, trails and recreational facilities now known as the Oklahoma River.
    🤣🤣🤣

They should move that anchor that is near Contemporary Arts Museum to this same area.

4. Default Re: USS Oklahoma City

^^^^^^^
    That is already a part of the plan for this project

I wonder how this is coming along? I know it’s based on private donations. It would be nice to have completed by the time the Olympics come to town.

This project is set to get $4.75 million in TIF assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Pete which Tiff district?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Pete which Tiff district?
    Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I don't really get this. In order to get TIF doesn't the project have to generate sales for tax money? Are they going to sell tickets or something? I guess I just thought it was like a beautification project.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I don't really get this. In order to get TIF doesn't the project have to generate sales for tax money? Are they going to sell tickets or something? I guess I just thought it was like a beautification project.
    schools also can/have gotten money from TIF .. they don't generate money ..

Work should start this winter; this is actually considered part of Wiley Post Park.

The pedestrian bridge and piers shown are conceptual and would be part of a future phase.

The budget shortfall will be bridged via TIF.

That pedestrian bridge would be very welcome, for my use at least. Every once in a while my Saturday morning walks at the park take me all the way down to the river and across to Wiley Post park, but that requires using the Robinson bridge to get across which is an okay but not great experience.

I would certainly help bridge the two different parts of Wiley Post Park.

And help pedestrians and cyclists move between Capitol Hill and downtown.

Blog Entries

OK River Re: USS Oklahoma City

USS Oklahoma City Memorial update . . .

Oklahoma City Council to consider using $4.75 million in tax increment financing for navy memorial
    planned for Wiley Post Park. The memorial site will sit on the north shore of the Oklahoma River.

“We’ve found a wonderful location,” McMillan-Miller said in a recent presentation to the Oklahoma City Economic Development Trust. “The memorial itself will include not just the USS Oklahoma City and dive plane, but other items of significance including plaques honoring crew members on this vessel.”

Funding is scheduled for approval on October 8. The monument itself is being paid for through private donations.

The memorial commemorates the USS Oklahoma City Cruiser, which was commissioned in 1944; decommissioned in 2022 after 34 years of service.

This is a great project that will complement Lower Scissortail Park and Wiley Post Park nicely. I wish we had a master plan to develop the area around Lower Scissortail Park into a vibrant, mixed-use district, rather than leaving the land solely in the hands of private developers. I've always wondered why OK/OKC travel agencies don't make a big deal about Major Charles B. Hall Airpark, located right by Tinker. With only three reviews on Google Maps, it's clear it's underappreciated. As a kid, I would have loved visiting to see airplane models like those!

Beautiful project. I hope they can do everything mentioned above.

This is another project in line to emphasize the river for the 2028 Olympics.

Well done.

18. Default Re: USS Oklahoma City

Good attraction to get people to walk down to the river from even the upper park. If anything ever bothers to develop around the parks in Core to Shore, well at least now we actually have something connecting the two fully from the core to the actual shore.

Thread Information