Thread: Restaurants in your regular rotation

Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

Alfredo's
    5 Guys
    Go Go Sushi
    Asian Cuisine

Travellers:

Next time you dine at Vito's, you might think about popping into the place right next door. Literally: Right next door. =)
    Sean Cummings is an amazing human being an amazing human. =)
    As is his wife, Cathy. (The only liberal Democrat for whom I'd ever vote.)

I left Oklahoma Station BBQ off my list.
    Go for the BBQ . . . Stay for the train pictures. =)

I drove by Nic's on the way into town this morning at about 9:30 am.
    There was no line.

I wandered around in the vicinity of Nic's 2 by The Big Glass Tube/IceSkatingRink/UrbanMomKidSplashPark until the Memory on my camera was full.
    It appeared to be open at 11:00. No line.
    Unfortunately I wasn't "jonesin'" for a Nic's Burger at the moment.
    So I bought a Twenty Dollar steak, later, at Homeland instead. =)

(my visit to The Heart of OKC involved dropping off a check, just the other side of the Federal Checkpoint, and the usual Lady at the reception desk was on break when I arrived to make my contribution to the cause. So I had to wait an extra fifteen minutes or so. Yet, I still had enough time left, on one o' them new-fangled parking meters--to marvel at the ducks and the fish in the pond and the kindly park rangerette on a Segway who was concerned about interfering with my shot. Of the ducks and the fish. =)

All of a sudden, I regret my decision to not scarf down a pseudo-Nic's burger next to the splash park/ice rink. =)

3. Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I drove by Nic's on the way into town this morning at about 9:30 am.
    There was no line.
    I believe his hours are 10am to 2pm these days.

Regular rotation is:

Big Truck Tacos
    Tuckers on 23rd
    Wedge in Deep Deuce
    Fuzzy's
    Bricktown Burgers
    Nebu
    Chelino's in Bricktown

Enjoy but don't get to often enough:
    Nic's
    Iron Starr
    Patty Wagon
    GoGo Sushi

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I believe his hours are 10am to 2pm these days.
    Two youngsters sitting on a bench.
    Waiting, I suppose, for the Castle Doors to be opened. =)
    (my thought: Oh! There's the Famous Nic's . . . and no line . . . =)

I would never say that Iron Starr BBQ is on my "regular rotation list" . . .
    I ate there once, a long time ago. It was very good.
    Priced right, cooked perfectly, and for sure BBQ.

But I'm a "Dapper Dan"--rather than a "FOP"--man.
    So . . . I just don't know for sure. =)

Oh (btw) . . . I thought Nic's was also known for their breakfasts--in addition to The Best Onion Burgers in The Universe . . .
    Or does the Breakfast Menu stop immediately at . . . 8:00 am =)

Looking at all of our responses, I am wondering if we're all local food geeks on OKCTalk. How do chains stay in business? Obviously they wouldn't if they relied on us.

Ehh, I left chains out of my response. Nobody needs to know how often I hit up Taco Bell.

8. Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

Oh (btw) . . . I thought Nic's was also known for their breakfasts--in addition to The Best Onion Burgers in The Universe . . . =)
    Nic's was rumored, by me of course, to have a magical ham in the back of his diner. Many a morning I would walk in and sit down. Nic wouldn't even ask what I wanted. He just walked to the back with a knife and came back with several magnificent slices of ham to be served with two eggs over-medium, hashbrowns, and toast......

Unfortunatly health issues have stopped Nic from being able to serve breakfast on his own..... I sure do miss that magical ham.

And yes I know Nic isn't his real name but I've continued to use it to protect the innocent. ;+)

9. Default Re: Restaurants in your regular rotation

I usually go to:
    Mamavecas
    Thai Delight Norman (waitstaff are awesome)
    Taste of China
    Queen of Sheba
    Khazana
    Himalayas
    City Bites (I like their pepper relish)
    Sandros in Norman

Please allow me to take a moment to apologize for the excess verbiage, above.
    (Spec.Ref.: #s 27 & 30)

They are off topic and difficult to comprehend.
    My Sweet Wife and I don't have a "Regular Rotation of Restaurants."
    But Luby's is OK once in a while . . . =)
    When one is too lazy or whatever to do some Home Cookin' =)

If I could pick a restaurant to be in a "regular rotation" I guess it would be Stella.
    And . . . if they get off their lazy CasadyAsses it would be the 1492 in The Village. =)
    (next to the overpriced Diamond Purveyor =)

MacDonald's
    Taco Bell
    KFC
    Arby's
    Long John Silver's
    Wendy's
    Ihop
    Sonic (for when I'm in the mood for fast food)

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    No love for Hillbilly Po Boys? I ate there for the first time last week and really liked it. The fried pickles and onions were amazing!
    I ate there today for the first time! I was really impressed. I'm surprised people aren't talking more about the place.

Tucker's
    Big Truck
    Cheever's
    Kitchen
    Ludivine
    The Ranch
    Fuzzy's
    Cafe Antigua
    Taqueria la Original
    Iron Star
    Coolgreens Nichols Hills
    Cafe Kacao
    Red Prime
    La Baguette
    The Wedge
    Irma's

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Looking at all of our responses, I am wondering if we're all local food geeks on OKCTalk. How do chains stay in business? Obviously they wouldn't if they relied on us.
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Ehh, I left chains out of my response. Nobody needs to know how often I hit up Taco Bell.
    I didn't mean fast food chains. Isn't the lack of full-service chain restaurants in this thread glaring? I was speaking of Texas Roadhouse, TGIFriday's, Olive Garden, Applebee's, The Cheesecake Factory, Cracker Barrel, On The Border, Hooters, Mimi's Cafe, Red Lobster, and others. I meant they sure don't stay in business with our help looking at our responses.

I didn't mean fast food chains. Isn't the lack of full-service chain restaurants in this thread glaring? I was speaking of Texas Roadhouse, TGIFriday's, Olive Garden, Applebee's, The Cheesecake Factory, Cracker Barrel, On The Border, Hooters, Mimi's Cafe, Red Lobster, and others. I meant they sure couldn't rely on us by our responses.
    We have all those out here and I can honestly say I haven't eaten at any of them in over 10 years; in fact the only one I've eaten at more than once is the Cheesecake Factory, but that was back when it was a big deal out here about 15 years ago.

The last chain adventure was at a Chili's probably more than five years ago (at the insistence of a visitor) and it was really meh. There is similar, small chain here called Islands that is decent but even still, that is a once every two years kind of place for me.

Probably the one chain I patronize more than once a year is California Pizza Kitchen, but only because the one nearest me has a glorious patio overlooking a small lake. They also have some good healthy options on their menu.

I eat at In-n-Out about once a year and I get McDonald's fries a couple of times a year -- they are still pretty great. And frankly, the new Domino's pizza is worth $8 for a 3-topping large once in a while.

I'm sure most people left chains off their list intentionally but even so, with all the great local choices OKC has added in just the last few years, there is less and less reason to give your money a big chain restaurant.

I only go to chains when I have no say in the matter.

Generally, I will never recommend eating at a chain if it's going to cost more than $10/plate. It's hard to beat places like Panera, and fast-food joints in general because they are generally super convenient. And most of the time, unless you're in the core, you have very little chance of encountering a non-chain that's less than a full sit down restaurant.

Forgot to add Birriria Diaz.

I'll play - about the only chain we go to besides looking for a fast burger or lunch time buffet is Charlestons. A family member is a long time employee and the extended family frequently meets there. That's why we started going but we continue on our own because the food is really good - love their vegetables. Mustang put in an Applebees and I like their salads but the service is psychotic, the availability of items sporadic, and it's overpriced for the product.

Jimmy's cafe on the southside
    Panang (for lunch)
    Los Vaqueros in Mustang
    Himalayas

We have been trying out new restaurants, recently, so this thread is especially appreciated.

Republic
    Hideaway
    Packard's
    Stella
    Red
    Kitchen 324
    Hefner Grill
    Iguana
    The Garage

Empire
    El Fogon de Edgar
    GoGo
    Pho Thai Nguyen

Cheevers, Stella and Packard are frequent haunts too but not weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Forgot to add Birriria Diaz.
    Oh, man, thanks for the reminder, we haven't been back to them in longer than it should be!

I didn't mean fast food chains. Isn't the lack of full-service chain restaurants in this thread glaring? I was speaking of Texas Roadhouse, TGIFriday's, Olive Garden, Applebee's, The Cheesecake Factory, Cracker Barrel, On The Border, Hooters, Mimi's Cafe, Red Lobster, and others. I meant they sure don't stay in business with our help looking at our responses.
    We only go to them if somebody else wants to and can't be convinced otherwise. Never been to a Red Lobster in my life, the rest maybe every 3-4 years.

Travellers:

Next time you dine at Vito's, you might think about popping into the place right next door. Literally: Right next door. =)
    Sean Cummings is an amazing human being an amazing human. =)
    As is his wife, Cathy. (The only liberal Democrat for whom I'd ever vote.)
    Oh yes, absolutely, we have Sean's Pub on our list. Unfortunately, our list is about 100 restaurants long, not sure where his position is on it. I need to make a layaway payment on my guitar at OKC Music, so it's probably either his place or Saii that we'll eat at when I do that.

His wife seems a bit too out there for me, but I'll vote for her because it'll be voting against all the other candidates...

Cathy Cummings? campaign video for Lt. Governor tries a little too hard? | The Lost Ogle

Is it out of line to give this thread a bump in an effort to get an update on everyone's regular rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    Is it out of line to give this thread a bump in an effort to get an update on everyone's regular rotation?
    Necro-bump!

I'm pleased to see that my from my OP on this subject all the places I mentioned are still going strong!

I have a meet-people-out version of this where I ask their Top 5 favorite places in terms of bars and/or restaurants.

Here are my Quick 5:

- Chick n Beer
    - Powerhouse
    - Slaughter's Hall
    - Republic
    - Yuzo

Thread Information