Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What businesses do you miss?

Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by westsidesooner View Post
    I know some of these have already been mentioned but heres my list.

Kips Big Boy on may ave.
    Where was the Kips? I remember there being one on Reno where the On the Border is now.

31st and May? I think it is where Ridgway's was for awhile. The one on Reno came much later than the one on May.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Where was the Kips? I remember there being one on Reno where the On the Border is now.
    It was at 31st and May...I think it became a club for awhile after it closed. Im not sure whats there now. Funny thing is I dont know why I liked it....the milkshakes probably.

bluedogok....thanks I couldnt think of that to save my life even though my dad loved the place. My brother and I always thought he had a crush on one of the waitresses. And speaking of places I miss Sound Warehouse would be one of them. Did the SW at Grand and May use to be a theatre before it was a music store?

Quote Originally Posted by LM401 View Post
    I also recommend Crest. I lived in Tulsa for a few years, and Reasor's prices aren't nearly as competitive as Crest.
    I guess I am a little biased because I know the whole Reasor family. I have been to the Crest on (I think) 15th and Santa Fe and it seemed a little dark and dingy when I was there. I don't know. Reasors gave me a better feel. I talked to Josh Reasor (Nephew of the owner and Marketing Director) a couple of days ago and I asked him when they were going to open up one in OKC and he said "Need to soon. You guys have a great need for one of our stores or several."

Yes, the Sound Warehouse on May was a theater at one time. It has the same bones as the Will Rogers Theater on Western.

It was at 31st and May...I think it became a club for awhile after it closed. Im not sure whats there now. Funny thing is I dont know why I liked it....the milkshakes probably.

bluedogok....thanks I couldnt think of that to save my life even though my dad loved the place. My brother and I always thought he had a crush on one of the waitresses. And speaking of places I miss Sound Warehouse would be one of them. Did the SW at Grand and May use to be a theatre before it was a music store?
    It was the Lakeside Theater, the screen and speakers were still up above the ceiling over the old Classical department when it was at the south end of the building. It was just cut at a point above the ceiling. You would occasionally find old posters or stubs in the nooks and crannies around there.

Call me a fast food junkie if you want..... I miss the original Hardee's. I loved their mushroom & swiss, hot ham & cheese, fried chicken, salads and they had some pretty good breakfast stuff as well.

I missed Steak and Ale.
    Dear Lord, I missed the lobster bisque, then a nice prime rib steak.
    We normally went to the southside one.
    Not many comparables.
    If you have a suggestion please pass it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    Call me a fast food junkie if you want..... I miss the original Hardee's. I loved their mushroom & swiss, hot ham & cheese, fried chicken, salads and they had some pretty good breakfast stuff as well.
    Yeah, that reminds me of Sunday morning getting all you can eat biscuits and gravy and potato rounds... for $1.99.

10. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I know they rebuilt the ones in Edmond (Second Street just east of UCO) and Midwest City (by the Albertsons near Reno & Midwest Blvd. maybe) in the mid-90's, are they still open?
    The Edmond one didn't last long. It's McAlister's Deli now.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Nabber, there is still a "Nothing But Noodles" at Quail Springs on Memorial (the original one) across from the mall. I believe it's just called "Noodles" now but it is still the exact same concept and same owners.
    It's actually "Lotsa Noodles", they're just too cheap to change out the sign at the top of the building, so they just took off the "Nothing But".

Do you know which building? I live right by there.

Chicken In The Rough Guest

Lynn Hickey Dodge... Anyone?

I used to live a few blocks from Lynn Hickey Dodge. Every now and again if I was outside I would hear We Sooold Another One on the loud speaker. When I drove by there yesterday and noticed it was plowed into the ground I was kind of happy that nobody else would have to hear that if they were outside planting pansies.

Fotomat kiosks
    Cornucopia restaurant- NW63rd between Portland and NWHwy
    Neptune's sandwiches

14. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    Lynn Hickey Dodge... Anyone?
    Why would you miss that place?

The sales tactics there were abhorrent.

Besides...Who misses a car dealer anyway? I always feel like I need a shower after I leave one.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    It was the Lakeside Theater, the screen and speakers were still up above the ceiling over the old Classical department when it was at the south end of the building. It was just cut at a point above the ceiling. You would occasionally find old posters or stubs in the nooks and crannies around there.
    The Sound Warehouse I was thinking of was at N. May and Grand. It was a blockbuster music before whatever it finally became. It was the theater that was in the same model as the Will Rogers.

That was it, I thought the Will Rogers went front to back whereas the Lakeside went left to right.

Sound Warehouse went through a couple of ownerships after Dan died, Kay (his widow) ran the company for awhile before merging with the guy who owned the Dallas franchises. They then sold out to a Disney affiliated company which sold out to Blockbuster who had previously purchased the Warehouse Records chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Oh GAWD the Smell! View Post
    Why would you miss that place?

The sales tactics there were abhorrent.

Besides...Who misses a car dealer anyway? I always feel like I need a shower after I leave one.
    I did enjoy the can't leave tire shredder they had in place to force one last lame sales pitch....I'm sure they had a high rate of success with folks who had already walked around and are now in their car to leave

Chicken In The Rough Guest

It was a joke.

I found the whole concept of having tire shredders to prevent people from leaving rather amusing.

19. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

What's this about tire shredders?

What about the following?
    1. Mr. Buck's
    2. The old AMC Shopping Center
    3. Emmer Brother's
    4. Napoleon Nash
    5. Snyder's Food Mart
    6. Humpty Dumpty Stores
    7. Bob's Coney Island
    8. Sussy's...........mmmmm...Real Pizza
    9. Karp's Drive-in
    10. TG&Y:.......Variety Store's..not the Family Centers.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    What's this about tire shredders?
    Lynn Hickey put up tire shredders (spikes) at the only exit and didn't put them down until yet another salesman bothered you

Great for business as I would think that little gimmick right there guaranteed that many folks would never come back

22. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

That's CRAZY.

23. Default Re: What businesses do you miss?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    That's CRAZY.
    And that's why it's now a vacant lot...They even razed the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber View Post
    Sandman's Coffee House on NW 23rd
    "The Hot Shop" in Penn Square mall
    "Nothing but Noodles" in Bricktown
    My daughter used to hang at Sandman's when she was 15 or so. Lots of weird stuff there. But, she survived and so did I!

yes hardees, i miss hardees, sunday morning family outing was at hardees for the buscuits and gravy, and also about 2 times a month, we had there fried chicken for dinner, it was really really good, better than the kfc thing. Also i miss there sourdough sandwhiches.. Why are we stuck with a burger join that mainly makes bacon, hame on hamburger, hamburger on hamburger, friend onions on hamburger, (15 different versions of a hamburger even if) one ingredient is changed its likea whole new burger) we need hardees back... i might drive to joplin,mo they have a hardees there jk, but next time i am in that area, ohhh yaaaaa..

Thread Information