Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Construction Crane Count

1. Default Re: Construction Crane Count

any of them tower cranes?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Default Re: Construction Crane Count

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    I'm not familiar with that site. Would this be considered part of the urban core?
    I dunno. As you might have expected, the agency is constructing a new headquarters in Wellston. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    I dunno. As you might have expected, the agency is constructing a new headquarters in Wellston. Does that count?
    I think that I probably phrased my earlier question awkwardly. What I was trying to say was that I didn't quite recognize what project you were talking about, and without an address I wasn't sure what the location was either. I was hoping you'd respond with more specifics, or else I'd go look it up.

Well, I just looked it up, and I believe you must be referring to the demo/renovation of the old Lincoln Plaza building by the Tanenbaum group. And, assuming that's the case, then yep, it's definitely in the urban core (I'm going by Pete's delineation between urban and suburban parts of OKC).

And since the demolition phase started back in March, I can well believe that the construction phase has begun and that a crane is up. So I'll add that one to the list.

Anybody here have a recent (or semi-recent) photo of this project? Would be great to see the crane(s) at work on the site.

Latest update:

3 ... Hilton Garden Inn (Bricktown)
    1 ... River inlet by Land Run Park (Bricktown)
    1 ... Holiday Inn Express (Bricktown)
    3 ... Aloft Hotel (Deep Deuce)
    1 ... Maywood Apartments (Deep Deuce)
    3 ... The Edge Apartments (Midtown)
    1 ... Osler Building/Ambassador Hotel (Midtown)
    1 ... New SandRidge Building (CBD)
    2 ... Main Street Parking Garage (CBD)
    3 ... John W. Rex Elementary School (Film Row)
    1 ... Lincoln Plaza/Healthcare Authority Building (Lincoln Corridor)
    [hr][/hr]
    20 Total

Up to 20 now! Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    any of them tower cranes?
    Just two I believe: one at the HGI site, and one at the Main Street Parking Garage.

Many of them have tall cranes though (some, very tall). I think I'll post up some pics when I get the chance to show people what I am actually counting (lest they think I'm making all this up )

Ok folks, I'm going to step through the list, showing photos of what I'm counting.

I'm going to stick to using (mostly) pics from Will, because I think we can agree on the credibility and recent vintage of his images. For those curious, his full collection of photo sets is here:

William Hider's photosets on Flickr

You can go there for the source, if you are so inclined.

So, let's start off with the Hilton Garden Inn.

On the south face, you can see the huge tower crane and a smaller one on the the southwest corner.

Here's a close up of the crane on the southwest corner.

On the north side, there's another (gray) crane. That brings the count to 3.

Note that, until recently, there were four cranes on site, which you can see in this older shot

The crane on the southwest corner can just be seen peeking over the Hampton Inn. The orange crane on the west face has since been removed, apparently, and doesn't appear in any recent photos.

So that's the 3 cranes on the HGI construction site.

Here's the crane at the River inlet by Land Run Park.

This is the oldest photo that I'm referencing -- from mid May (the other ones are within the last couple of weeks). As such, this is the one I'm least certain about. This crane may not be working there anymore.

You can see the construction crane for the Holiday Inn Express in the middle of this shot.

Here's a closeup view (from the facebook of Newcrest Image)

You can see all 3 cranes at the Aloft Hotel site here.

Of course, there used to be a big tower crane on the site while it was going up. Now that the building is topped out, the remaining smaller cranes appear to be used mostly for lifting workers into position.

The Maywood Apartments site apparently has only one crane being used -- a small, mobile blue unit.

This can be seen in use in Lazio's gorgeous aerial shot.

At The Edge Apartments, they are currently utilizing 3 cranes: 1 large one for lifting concrete blocks into place, and 2 smaller ones for lifting workers into position.

Here's the crane on the back side of the Osler (Ambassador Hotel) where the new stairway/elevator add-on is being constructed.

I'm sure it's also being used to help with the construction of the new rooftop bar area.

Here's the very tall crane at the SandRidge site.

The workers are accessing their workspaces strictly via ladders and scaffolding. It seems to me that more cranes are going to be brought here as this project moves further along (that's just a guess on my part).

The Main Street Parking Garage site has two cranes: a tall blue one, and an even taller white tower crane.

Here are the 3 cranes at the John W. Rex Elementary School site. The second photo is from a video posted by the City of OKC.

One of them is apparently drilling large holes for the cement columns. The second is placing the steel casings for those columns into place. The third one is doing... I don't know what.

And that's it! That's covers the current list except for the Lincoln Plaza site, which I don't have any photos for.

Time for an update. Recently Will and OKCisOK4me have posted some photos of current construction projects. Based on this, I can happily bump the count again.

First, the only pull down is the Aloft Hotel. I can now only see 2 cranes left on the site, down from 3. So we lose one here in the count.

However, the crane at the river inlet by the canal is most definitely still there. That's good to see.

The HGI now has an another large white crane servicing the east face, in addition to the 3 already there. So this bumps the count up to 4 for that site.

The Maywood Apartments now have 2 mobile cranes on site where I had previously only seen one. This project is getting far enough along that they may not be needed much longer, but for now they are there.

I thought that KD's restaurant would not require any cranes, being a fairly low two-story building. However, they have 2 cranes on site right now to help with lifting men and materials. Cool.

And finally, the Santa Fe Garage is being worked on to add cosmetic touches, and they have a crane there to help put the new lighting up.

Latest update:

4 ... Hilton Garden Inn (Bricktown)
    1 ... River inlet by Land Run Park (Bricktown)
    1 ... Holiday Inn Express (Bricktown)
    2 ... Kevin Durant Restaurant (Bricktown)
    2 ... Aloft Hotel (Deep Deuce)
    2 ... Maywood Apartments (Deep Deuce)
    3 ... The Edge Apartments (Midtown)
    1 ... Osler Building/Ambassador Hotel (Midtown)
    1 ... New SandRidge Building (CBD)
    2 ... Main Street Parking Garage (CBD)
    1 ... Santa Fe Parking Garage (CBD)
    3 ... John W. Rex Elementary School (Film Row)
    1 ... Lincoln Plaza/Healthcare Authority Building (Lincoln Corridor)
    [hr][/hr]
    24 Total

20. Default Re: Construction Crane Count

Some of those being counted are actually boom concrete pumps. I wouldn't consider those cranes. Personally I wouldn't count the man lifts either. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Some of those being counted are actually boom concrete pumps. I wouldn't consider those cranes. Personally I wouldn't count the man lifts either. Sorry to be a wet blanket.
    Can you point out which are concrete pumps? As far as man lifts go, if you mean the hydraulic cranes lifting workers into positions, then I disagree. Those are cranes of a kind.

22. Default Re: Construction Crane Count

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Can you point out which are concrete pumps? As far as man lifts go, if you mean the hydraulic cranes lifting workers into positions, then I disagree. Those are cranes of a kind.
    In the photo below, there are actually two things that make sense to consider cranes. One (upper left, black boom), is obvious to all of us I would guess. The machine next to it is an auger, a specialized piece of equipment that bores holes in the ground for concrete piers. It is more of a derrick. Since it doesn't lift materials, I would not consider that a crane. The next item over, with the truck cab and the bright green on the boom, is a concrete pump. This takes mud delivered by a truck and places it. Again, not a lifting device, other than the fact that it lifts its own boom. The one other machine that I might call a crane would be the red forklift truck in the foreground. The boom on that machine extends and effectively makes it a crane.

All of these devices have some similarities, and at times are casually called cranes, but this thread asks how many construction cranes are on the skyline and attempts to answer. If Metro Sign comes down and spends half an afternoon lifting a sign into place with their sign truck, does that count? Or if OGE uses a cherry picker or a scissor lift to change street light bulbs? It seems the spirit of this thread was to count things that the construction industry might refer to as construction cranes, on our skyline. If that is the case, I see one construction crane in this picture.

There is now a crane on the site of the old Labor Department building on 40th and Lincoln, which is being renovated. I'm not sure who will be occupying it. It's this property - 4001 N. Lincoln Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK, 73105 - Institutional/Governmental Property - Off-Market on LoopNet.com

Big yellow crane at the new Hilton garden inn is on its way down. So drop the count by one.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Big yellow crane at the new Hilton garden inn is on its way down. So drop the count by one.
    Dang!

Ok, will do.

Thread Information