Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

Default Re: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

Those of you that say D&B probably wouldnt be your cup of tea should try it out. The couple times that Ive been to one have been alot of fun. Booze and arcade games of all types? Sounds cool to me, though I would prefer an ESPN Zone.

Having more local/independant establishments is great and all, but you have to have the nationally recognized establishments for out of towners and tourists to go to. Otherwise they might not know what was out there and not go spend their money. There is definitely room for both local and big chains.

2. Default Re: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

This just isn't the kind of place that I see anyone local pulling off.

ESPN Zone seems like a concept that would really fly in Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Not being familiar with the chain, I just googled a little to see what you guys were talking about. Not being a gamer it probably wouldn't be my own cup of tea but for those inclined it might well be ... is it designed for the 18-29 + or - a few years?

Doug - it isn't just video games. If you like playing pool or shuffelboard it is a great place.

Tex, Tulsa is a perfect test market for all restaurants, always has been.

They'll get cool stuff before we do.

the Dave and Busters will blow nut soup because they'll put it in the EXTREME North, I'll never make it up there.

The Blue Domed Mexican Joint (4 years in the making) is taking over my part of town.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Those of you that say D&B probably wouldnt be your cup of tea should try it out. The couple times that Ive been to one have been alot of fun. Booze and arcade games of all types? Sounds cool to me, though I would prefer an ESPN Zone.
    Sounds kinda like Jillian's in Boston. Visited it during a meeting there in '95. It was quite a place.

Went to the D&B in Providence, RI. It was full of twenty something couples and families with kids. Not many if any teenagers in groups. That D&B is in a mall, so all of the teens hung out at the cinema and the mall. I had a lot of fun and could easily have spent a lot of money.

I went to the D&B in Tulsa this weekend with my 9 y/o son and was pretty underwhelmed. It is much smaller than the ones I've been to in Dallas and Denver. It looks very nice but is quite small. It was 1/3 restaurant and 2/3 games. My biggest frustration was that nearly half the games were the try your luck to get some tickets to buy some crap style. No pool tables, no shuffle board, 1 air hockey, 4 pop a shot, 4 skeeball and a pretty cool 4 car linked nascar motion game. There were other games as well but the restaurant and alcohol were about the only things that set it apart from incredible pizza. I hope that if they do come to OKC that they occupy a 2 story space in bricktown and fashion it more like the larger markets they are in currently.

9. Default Re: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

No pool tables?

WTF? THat was the best part about the one in Denver. Best tables in town.

10. Default Re: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

Sounds like they didn't want to throw too much money at a market that may not work for their typical model.

11. Default Re: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

The Omaha location doesn't have any pool tables either. If they're thinking about giving us the same setup they can keep it.

12. Default Re: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

Where is the Tulsa D&B? The address on their website is clearly wrong.

Could be 6812 south 105th E. Avenue

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Where is the Tulsa D&B? The address on their website is clearly wrong.
    If you are familiar with the area, it is right off of highway 169 and 71st street. It is between Mathis Brothers and Best Buy on the north side of the street.

highway 169 and 71st street.
    that is the worst street in oklahoma to get in and out of...very, very busy. that's good for business i guess.

Having more local/independant establishments is great and all, but you have to have the nationally recognized establishments for out of towners and tourists to go to.
    I agree with that, except exactly the opposite. You want more unique and different restraurants for tourists, so that you actually give them a reason to visit. Why travel if you're just going to the same places you have at home, especially to a city like Oklahoma City that doesn't have the built in attractions like mountains and beaches.

And really, OKC is a great example of how there isn't a whole lot of room for both local and chain restaurants. We get so many chains here and they are so well supported that we have a very small and limited mix of locally owned restaurants for a city of our size. Every dollar that goes to a chain is one that does not go to a local business and the profits go out of state. This not only has an economic impact, but it also creates a barrier to entry for local businesses that have more interest in creating a community that is unqiue and interesting to visit for out of towners. National Chains, for the most part, not only take the money out of the community, they take its identity as well.

I am not sure if it's the need for validiation by a chain, a lack of a sense of community, or general lack of imgaination, but Oklahoma City's culture in general does seem less interested in supporting its locally owned and unqiue establishments than a lot of cities I have either lived in or visited. Personally, I hope all of these chains go to Tulsa first and never come here, so we can continue to grow our small, but often pretty good, local restaurant mix.

As for D&B, I would be willing to bet that it ends up on Memorial if it comes here. It's has the demographic and room for new cookie cutter construction. And we have some locals doing sports bars downtown in the near future. D&B, even on Memorial, will only hurt their chances of success.

There is a rumor that Dave & Busters will be built in Moore off of I-35 near the Warren Theater. This puts it near Norman for the OU students and Moore is a hot spot right now for corporate type franchise locations.

Wow, BDP. That is an exceptional post and I could not agree more. Reminds me of the episode of "The Office" where Michael goes to Times Square, you see him at a booth in a restaurant and he is saying "I just love all the fabulous, unique Italian food in New York." And the camera pans out and he is sitting at a Sbarro.

I think OKC will eventually get a Dave & Busters, and I guess that's fine, but I don't understand why people are so fired up about the possibility. Just another chain bar with some video games and pool tables. Yawn. I don't know one person here in St. Louis that ever goes to Dave & Busters except sort of "by accident" - just the businesspeople in the office parks around there going to lunch with their colleagues or having a quick after work drink.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Reminds me of the episode of "The Office" where Michael goes to Times Square, you see him at a booth in a restaurant and he is saying "I just love all the fabulous, unique Italian food in New York." And the camera pans out and he is sitting at a Sbarro.
    Close.

"The meeting isn't until three, but I always like to come a little early. This is where I do my haunts. Oh, look! [points to a Sbarro's] My favorite New York pizza place. I'm going to go get me a New York slice!"

20. Default Re: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Centerback View Post
    No pool tables, no shuffle board, 1 air hockey, 4 pop a shot, 4 skeeball and a pretty cool 4 car linked nascar motion game. There were other games as well but the restaurant and alcohol were about the only things that set it apart from incredible pizza.

Like someone else said: if this is the model OKC would get, they can keep it.

Thanks Matt. That is the scene I was thinking of - it's been awhile since I've seen that episode...

No problem. Hope I didn't come of as a pedantic bastard, but I love that little scene. "I'm gonna go get me a New York slice!" cracks me up, every time.

this is news to me if it is going in moore.. good location though, but it would go nicely with any alligator and heyday

No, please not in Moore. Im not sure what the animosity towards DnB is. Is it the grand daddy of entertainment? No, but there isnt a concept like this anywhere in the city. Yes, in a perfect OKC every business would be owned by a local, but seriously, what local could or would be able to open something similar. I dont see how this would be a detriment to OKC.

25. Default Re: Dave & Busters in OKC sometime in 2009

Moore next to the Warren would definitely be great for us in Norman. While UNP would be a more preferred spot, I won't argue with it going next to my favorite theater. Needless to say, I can say why some would be worried because it is just one less attraction in Bricktown. If others are like me, they are finding themselves driving north of I-240 less and less. I haven't been into the City now for about 4 months when I had to go to the airport. No need or reason.

Thread Information