Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

The Mayans were off by two years. Get to your boats now!

3rd largest in Oklahoma history. Biggest earthquake since 1952 there was a 5.5 in El Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    3rd largest in Oklahoma history. Biggest earthquake since 1952 there was a 5.5 in El Reno.
    I definitely remember the 1952 earthquake. This one was pretty amazing but not nearly as much as the 1952.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    The Mayans were off by two years. Get to your boats now!
    Well...the Mayans did not survive so well--so might want to think twice about their advice...

MadMonk Guest

Felt it here downtown. Nothing earth-shattering though. Felt like someone dropped a heavy box on the floor next to my office.

Just east of Mustang - house shook, dogs freaked, loud BOOM. Husband ran outside to see if there was a gas explosion or something. We are on a single level with a heavy slab foundation and things still shook.

I live in Lakeview Towers on the 5th floor and the whole building shook and vibrated for about 5-10 secs, really eerie feeling!

If you felt it, you can report your experience here: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak.../us/index.html

Almost 4,000 reports already from Wichita Falls,Texas to Wichita, Kansas.

right by OU's campus, it was crazyyyyy. and Dale hall on campus has been "destabilized" or whatever. the police have caution tape around it.

10. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

Felt it, heard it. We were in the middle of a standardized test :P Might not have heard/felt it otherwise!

My desk shook and the fan swung a little bit from the ceiling. Very cool. Most of the teachers here seemed to feel it, too.
    Still corrupting young minds

11. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

I was disappointed to find out it was a real earthquake and not THE Earthquake

This was my first earthquake and I have a newfound respect for them. I can't imagine what I felt going on for 5, 10 or 15 seconds!! That would be terrifying! I also can't imagine a stronger earthquake!

Quote Originally Posted by earlywinegareth View Post
    I'm guessing a 4.5.
    BTW, nice call. Someone owes you a cookie.

14. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

Looks like there might be damage. From Oklahoma Scholastic Media, via my Facebook;

Osm Oipa: For our student journalists covering the earthquake: There apparently is damage in Norman. We have a witness report that Dale Hall Tower on the OU campus sustained damage and the second floor is currently closed.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    BTW, nice call. Someone owes you a cookie.
    USGS downgraded to a 4.3, but I still feel like a slept at a Holiday Inn Express.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I was disappointed to find out it was a real earthquake and not THE Earthquake

Almost posted this same thing.

I'm just glad the earthquake didn't send anyone to meet. . . The Undertaker.

Obviously it was caused by pulling those Chilean miners out of the ground...

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    This was my first earthquake and I have a newfound respect for them. I can't imagine what I felt going on for 5, 10 or 15 seconds!! That would be terrifying! I also can't imagine a stronger earthquake!
    I was 4.5 miles from Northridge epicenter in 1994...was sound asleep and was thrown into the wall on the east side of my bed and then heard glass breaking everywhere...extremely violent for 38 seconds...about...a VERY long time. You cannot walk about during these events--quite unlike you see on TV, you hang on wherever you are.

I am stunned about how far away it was felt. People from Dallas to Kansas City to Louisanna felt it enough to report it. For the record, I did not feel it here in Jax.

I didn't even feel it up here by Casady, I'm surprised people much further away are reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by earlywinegareth View Post
    USGS downgraded to a 4.3, but I still feel like a slept at a Holiday Inn Express.
    Leonard Geophysical showing 5.1 mbLg but site server still swamped. I couldn't find another Cleveland County earthquake - pretty interesting.

I think over 4.5 myself...

I didn't feel it but people 15 feet away from me did

24. Default Re: Holy Earthquake, Batman!

I was sitting at my computer in Mesta Park and, while I don't think that I heard anything, I certainly felt it ... it felt as though someone just walked behind the desk chair I was sitting in and bumped into it as the back of the chair was pushed forward a bit. I looked behind me to see if I had an unknown visitor or something. My wife who works in Norman at OU later called and asked if I'd heard/felt it ... pretty big down there ... and it was then that it dawned on me what had happened. No ghosts in my house, after all ... at least, they didn't cause the "bump" this morning.

USGS has now upgraded it to 5.1. Second largest in state history. Largest was 5.5 in El Reno in 1952. It was strong here at my house in Surrey Hills. Quite an interesting experience.

Thread Information