Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Okay I can die now. I've seen everything.

If this comes to pass, here is a quick list of things that could get done by July 2028:

- Most of the OKANA project, including the aquarium and maybe east of Eastern
    - The massive Dream Hotel project
    - Kick-start the Producers Coop
    - Kick-start Strawberry Fields
    - Finish most of Oak and Convergence
    - Add more to Midtown
    - Expanded BRT and maybe even commuter rail
    - Serious development around the lower section of Scissortail Park
    - Maybe move forward with the grand plans for Wiley Post Park and both sides of the river
    - The Truck Yard will be open but maybe much more will get done along the canal
    - More development in Bricktown
    - Devon will finally fix its LED lights and the entire skyline could see more LED's

And that's just off the top of my head!

Am I reading this right? It will be six total events?

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Yes, if it is just the canoe slalom events.

But I know the City is angling for more.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    There are several rounds that make up each event though. Its not like its 6 races then their done.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    There are several rounds that make up each event though. Its not like its 6 races then their done.
    Correct.

For Paris 2024, the canoe slalom events will fill 10 days.

Wonder what the attendance would be like? This would be new territory for the Olympics. People from the central plains could watch the Olympics in person without having to travel all the way to California.

Appears that we could expect 9 days of events (with one off day in the middle) if next year's schedule is any indication of what 2028 will look like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canoei...ummer_Olympics

Wonder what the attendance would be like? This would be new territory for the Olympics. People from the central plains could watch the Olympics in person without having to travel all the way to California.
    It would be constrained by the number of stands that could be erected.

Paris will have 12K at its facility; over 9 days that's close to 100,000 and there may be multiple sessions a day.

If we were to add rowing, those numbers would at least double.

I have no doubt that OKC could sell every single seat for every single session.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If this comes to pass, here is a quick list of things that could get done by July 2028:

- Most of the OKANA project, including the aquarium and maybe east of Eastern
    - The massive Dream Hotel project
    - Kick-start the Producers Coop
    - Kick-start Strawberry Fields
    - Finish most of Oak and Convergence
    - Add more to Midtown
    - Expanded BRT and maybe even commuter rail
    - Serious development around the lower section of Scissortail Park
    - Maybe move forward with the grand plans for Wiley Post Park and both sides of the river
    - The Truck Yard will be open but maybe much more will get done along the canal
    - More development in Bricktown
    - Devon will finally fix its LED lights and the entire skyline could see more LED's

And that's just off the top of my head!
    And probably the arena will be done or under construction

I think this would take an act of god.

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    This would almost guarantee the arena funding gets passed. The proponents would be saying "See! look how much Maps4 paid off!" A lot of it would be luck, but its luck that wouldn't have happened without the funding and construction of Whitewater rafting and surrounding canoeing facilities.

Very, very exciting for OKC. Would probably try and attend!

Would the whitewater events alone be enough to spur that much development Pete? What you listed is several Billions worth of projects. I certainly hope it does, could be a huge leap in progress.

Sorry, Pete. The Twitter comments say this isn’t happening. Guess you’re wrong. *shrugs*

/s

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Okay I can die now. I've seen everything.
    Especially if we use any taxpayer money towards it, amirite?

Charlotte was not considered for some reason.

It is strange but we should see more of this multiple-city arrangement in the future. For the same reasons, it's already happened in the World Cup and for the 2026 Winter Olympics, the events will happen in two separate Italian cities.

Most people don't realize how many facilities are needed. Even in freaking Los Angeles -- which unquestionably has more Olympic-sized pools than anywhere in the world (most Cali high schools have them), they are planning to build a temporary swim venue on top of the USC baseball field.

There is probably nothing more specialized that a whitewater facility, which is why there are only two of world-class caliber in the entire United States.
    This brings back memories of when I attended multiple events at the LA 1984 Olympics. One of those was at the swimming and diving venue next to the Coliseum. I also went to track and field at the Coliseum, men's tennis at UCLA, basketball, and men's gymnastics. I got to watch the legendary diver, Greg Louganis and the gold medal men's gymnastics team with OU's Bart Conner. It is a thrilling experience to be there when the US flag is being raised along with the playing of the national anthem.[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries

Very cool. Hope it happens. We will be there.

Blog Entries

A major Olympic event of this magnitude could result in $20 million or more in upgrades to our Riversport Rapids facility,
    along with an economic impact on the local economy.

The quality area hotels could see a big boost in 2028. Recall the hotel-motel room sales tax goes to the new Fairgrounds Coliseum--target opening 2025, if those funds are allowed to accumulate beyond construction.

This would be a nice boost for a city of our size, where our city population is projected to be 750,000 with a metro 1,550,000 at our current rate of growth.

19. Default Re: 2028 Olympics in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    And perhaps some Streetcar expansion and spine building/correction!

OMG, this is AWESOME - Oklahoma City: a co-host for the 2028 Los Angeles Summer Olympics!!! WOW, this just keeps getting better, first the Hornets which led to the Thunder and now potentially Olympics and maybe for future US hosts cities' as well. WOW.

Just imagine what Aubrey McKlendon would be doing with this development. May he rest-in-peace but he had a vision for OKC, we all thought he was crazy with the river but OMG look at the payout. OKC get on board with this, do whatever it takes to fast track OKC 2028! Believe in your city and "hopefully" the state will come along as well.

This may very well be the boost that all of us have been waiting for, not just for the current projects but as was said - full build out at WRWA and the fact that not only the events will see spectators, the media, and the worldwide exposure beyond just the NBA's reach; but I'm also most excited about the continued but expanded connection to LA and that some of those flights/businesses might have lasting connectivity!

That's what usually happens, city gets the exposure and there's lasting effects. And bringing that exposure to the central US, not Chicago, not Dallas or even Houston, but Oklahoma City. ...

OMG - I am so excited and proud of my hometown. Oklahoma City baby!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The softball hall of fame is here. What are the chances to pull that event as well? That would huge!

I just hope the city gets financial help from LA for helping out. The strain on infrastructure will be real, so getting some help to defray costs will be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_RN View Post
    The softball hall of fame is here. What are the chances to pull that event as well? That would huge!
    Softball has yet to be made officially part of the 2028 Games, but is still a possibility.

It had been absent since 2008 but then included in Tokyo for 2020 (2021).

Softball will not be a part of the 2024 Paris Olympics.

Blog Entries

...full build out at WRWA and the fact that not only the events will see spectators, the media, and the worldwide exposure beyond just the NBA's reach; but I'm also most excited about the continued but expanded connection to LA and that some of those flights/businesses might have lasting connectivity!--Hot Rod
    Hope to see more airport expansion once a decision is made for 2028, a catalyst to kick start a future vision for WRWA.

Have a feeling that a major announcement on the new Oklahoma City arena will be funded thru a combination of
    sources with early ground-breaking; it won't be debt free but paid off in less than five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth_RN View Post
    Zero. The LA area has numerous schools and facilities that would be more than happy to host softball if it returns as an Olympic sport.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Zero. The LA area has numerous schools and facilities that would be more than happy to host softball if it returns as an Olympic sport.
    And none of them have a stadium that holds more than 1,500.

Hall of Fame not only has a capacity of 13,000 but there are also multiple practice and warm-up fields that are necessary for a large multi-team competition. There is also an entire staff of people here that handles several big softball events a year and does it very well.

I realize the initial reaction for most is 'no way' when it comes to OKC -- it was my first thought as well -- but if we get the whitewater events (and I believe we will) then that opens the door for others to follow, as there will be economies of scale when it comes to organizing and expenses.

I am writing a follow-up article that will shed more light on this subject.

Thread Information