Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum

Default Re: National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum

They use that east field during special events. This will allow closer parking and an easier way to climb up the hill

I noticed today there is already a construction fence and some clearing in the area of the future parking structure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I noticed today there is already a construction fence and some clearing in the area of the future parking structure.
    they did a bunch of tree/shrub clearing and dirt work in the last week or so

Plans have been filed for a new outdoor event space.

See the press release below that also mentions the parking structure that just started work.

Groundbreaking Begins Newest Phase of Development at The Cowboy
    Thursday, July 15, 2021

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – In a sunny Tuesday morning ceremony, National Cowboy Museum president, board members and supporters broke ground on the newest phase of Museum expansions, the Meinders Event Lawn & Garden and additional parking structures.

“Phase II of our Capital Campaign has required a lot of hard work and coordination by many, many partners,” said National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum President and CEO Natalie Shirley at the ceremony. “First and foremost, we have to thank Herman and LaDonna Meinders for their support. Without it we would not be able to create this wonderful garden that will soon grace the front of the Museum. What you see now is asphalt, but in just a few short months, you are going to see something lush, green and beautiful.”

In addition to the new garden and event lawn, Phase II of the expansion plan includes a parking garage and terraced, uncovered parking spaces on Museum grounds, as well as a refresh of the Sam Noble Special Events Center.

“We have had a dream of solving several issues to bring this museum to a higher level,” said Larry Nichols, Museum Board Member and Chairman of the Capital Campaign, in a speech at the ceremony. “We need more parking, we need covered parking, we need a better entrance, and we need additional spaces for people to gather.”

The Meinders Event Lawn & Garden, made possible by a generous donation from Herman and LaDonna Meinders, will include walking paths, an event lawn and a butterfly garden.

Construction on the garden and additional parking is the second phase in a three-phase plan to beautify and improve the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. The first phase of expansions produced Liichokoshkomo’, the Museum’s 100,000 square foot outdoor play-based learning addition including native dwellings and STEAM learning opportunities.

this makes the new parking addition make even more sense

More corporate event and wedding revenue. Wonder if the FAM has caused them to step up their game?

Events are big revenue generators but there is now a ton of competition.

I know the owner of one of the city's big event venues and she told me their bookings are way down over the last several years (before the pandemic), simply due to so many competing sites.

Does anyone know the real reason behind why the name "The Cowboy Hall of Fame" was dropped in favor for "The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum"? I was born and raised in OKC and still call it "The Cowboy Hall of Fame". I find it funny that no one uses the acronym "NCWHM".

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Does anyone know the real reason behind why the name "The Cowboy Hall of Fame" was dropped in favor for "The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum"? I was born and raised in OKC and still call it "The Cowboy Hall of Fame". I find it funny that no one uses the acronym "NCWHM".
    I don't know the actual reason, but I'm sure it had to do with the fact that's it's more than just a Hall of Fame, it's a museum and event center for all things "Western" related.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    looks like the name was changed in1960 (5 years after founding ) then again in 2000

The museum was established in 1955 as the Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum, from an idea proposed by Chester A. Reynolds, to honor the cowboy and his era. Later that same year, the name was changed to the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Museum. In 1960, the name was changed again to the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Center. The American Alliance of Museums gave the museum full accreditation in 2000, when it took on its present name.

12. Default Re: National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum

^^^^^^^^
    Yes, with the AAM accreditation they wanted to update the branding to reflect that it was truly a world-class museum (it most certainly is, with among other things the largest collection of Western fine art in the world) rather than simply a HOF, which for many denotes more of a roadside attraction (I say this in no way to denigrate others who use the HOF moniker).

There are a lot of stereotypes when you think of Cowboy. With the current name they don't lean into that stereotype as much.

Plans have been filed to build a parking structure into the side of the hill on the east side of the property:

This may have been postponed. Noticed the construction trailer is now gone

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    This may have been postponed. Noticed the construction trailer is now gone
    Yeah, strange.

They briefly started work but then stopped some time ago.

Pete, do you know if the parking garage and outdoor space is still moving forward or not?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Pete, do you know if the parking garage and outdoor space is still moving forward or not?
    No idea.

I looks like that area has had dirt moved recently and there was a work truck out there.

I know they are working on expanding the existing parking area.

Edit: I just looked at an aerial from December and the site work in that photo above that I took 1/30/04 is definitely new since then, so my guess is that the garage is back on. Perhaps they wanted to first expand the surface lot, as they use that lower area for temporary parking, especially when they have events.

Here is a zoomed-in photo and you can see a construction fence. Looks like the garage work is starting again:

20. Default Re: National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum

Must explain the absolute gnarly chop job/topping of dozens of old growth trees close to i-44 on the east side of the hill. Horrible tree work unless it is just initial cutting before complete removal, which they did with some of the trees already. This tree work first started, I think, back in October, and it was a sad day indeed as this hillside had a beautiful canopy of old growth trees. Hate the way it looks now, truthfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Must explain the absolute gnarly chop job/topping of dozens of old growth trees close to i-44 on the east side of the hill. Horrible tree work unless it is just initial cutting before complete removal, which they did with some of the trees already. This tree work first started, I think, back in October, and it was a sad day indeed as this hillside had a beautiful canopy of old growth trees. Hate the way it looks now, truthfully.
    I noticed this about a month ago while driving west down I-44. It looks horrendous! But hey, you can now see the Buffalo Bill statue on the hill...

I have no idea what they are doing with the lower parking area. Not sure if the proposed garage is still going forward.

Looks like they are turning it into a little bit nicer overflow parking lot. Not sure how often they use that overflow, but I guess not often enough to justify a parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Looks like they are turning it into a little bit nicer overflow parking lot. Not sure how often they use that overflow, but I guess not often enough to justify a parking garage.
    Except the area closest to the museum -- where the garage was planned -- has a construction fence around it.

And the property has looked this way for a couple of years now. If they were just going to put in a big paved lot it would have been done a long time ago.

It's all so strange.

Except the area closest to the museum -- where the garage was planned -- has a construction fence around it.

And the property has looked this way for a couple of years now. If they were just going to put in a big paved lot it would have been done a long time ago.

It's all so strange.
    Oh I thought you were referring to the area to the east of fenced area. Looks like that has been expanded with gravel. Unless that is for construction staging, it doesn't look promising for the parking garage.

Thread Information