Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Devon Tower real possibility

Default Re: Devon Tower real possibility

In terms of size, Louisville is pretty close to OKC and is also the largest city in their state.

Others that are similar is size in other major ways: Charlotte, Jacksonville, SLC, Columbus, Memphis & Nashville. Denver & Sacramento are both about twice our size and growing at a much faster rate.

2. Default Re: Devon Tower real possibility

Many of our peer cities cannot claim to have two distinct skylines. If all those towers on NW Expressway hadn't been built, and instead been built downtown, we would have a larger skyline and probably more construction happening because the buildings in the suburbs have a very high occupancy rate. I really believe that if Devon were to start building within a year, and it takes roughly two years for construction, I think it's not out of the question to fill up the remaining Class A space that exists downtown over the next three years. The way things are going for OKC right now, economically, it seems like the absorption rate will get rid of whatever is now empty. Once Devon decides to build, I think other companies will jump on the bandwagon. Who knows, we might land a couple of new Fortune 500 headquarters by then. I say press on with construction of OKC's first real skyscraper in 25 years!!

3. Default Re: Devon Tower real possibility

Incidentally, Louisville just recently consolidated city/county government; we'll see if anyone complains about decreased urban density.

Default Re: Devon Tower real possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    Damn, that's flat amazingly gorgeous, CuatrodeMayo. I hope that it happens for their sake ... but, even if it doesn't, it certainly serves as inspiration!
    I think the Lousville building makes a statement. In that it succeeds with flying colors. Aesthetically, I think it is a very ugly building. The other building examples that Cuatro posted are much more in line with what I think we should be hoping for. It's possible to have a building that makes a statement, helps people identify with your city, AND be aesthetically pleasing.

5. Default Re: Devon Tower real possibility

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNINSOKC View Post
    Many of our peer cities cannot claim to have two distinct skylines. If all those towers on NW Expressway hadn't been built, and instead been built downtown, we would have a larger skyline and probably more construction happening because the buildings in the suburbs have a very high occupancy rate. I really believe that if Devon were to start building within a year, and it takes roughly two years for construction, I think it's not out of the question to fill up the remaining Class A space that exists downtown over the next three years. The way things are going for OKC right now, economically, it seems like the absorption rate will get rid of whatever is now empty. Once Devon decides to build, I think other companies will jump on the bandwagon. Who knows, we might land a couple of new Fortune 500 headquarters by then. I say press on with construction of OKC's first real skyscraper in 25 years!!
    Actually more like first real skyscraper in 23 years, since Oklahoma Tower [31-storeys] was built in 1984. But I do agree, hopefully with Devon building and Sandridge taking over KMG; other companies will jump in and fill the void left by both companies (esp downtown) which would spur several other office towers.

I think we need at least 2 new signature towers downtown - hopefully both taller than BOK in Tulsa! Of course, we also need residential towers and hotels taller than 25 storeys. I hope this is just the beginning .......
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information