Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paying college athletes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Paying college athletes

So if athletes start receiving pay, does this mean that like most students they'll now start paying for their meals, workout clothing, books, supply's, etc; out of their own pockets ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    So if athletes start receiving pay, does this mean that like most students they'll now start paying for their meals, workout clothing, books, supply's, etc; out of their own pockets ?
    When the regular students start filling 100,000 seat stadiums and commanding a large national audience who will all pay to see them study, then I guess it will be even.

The bigger question will be: are they employees? Meaning they can be fired, have to pay taxes, pay for their own Healthcare, etc. I feel like is revenue-sharing happens, they will be professionals, meaning all of that applies.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The bigger question will be: are they employees? Meaning they can be fired, have to pay taxes, pay for their own Healthcare, etc. I feel like is revenue-sharing happens, they will be professionals, meaning all of that applies.
    Making them employees opens up a whole can of worms on the Title IX front, as schools will have to spend roughly proportionate amount of funds on paying men's and women's athletes, have roughly similar number of "employees," etc.

The NIL status quo is messy, but it's honestly the less convoluted solution to helping student athletes receive even a modicum of income for their labor.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    Making them employees opens up a whole can of worms on the Title IX front, as schools will have to spend roughly proportionate amount of funds on paying men's and women's athletes, have roughly similar number of "employees," etc.

The NIL status quo is messy, but it's honestly the less convoluted solution to helping student athletes receive even a modicum of income for their labor.
    yep making them employees (football and let say maybe mens basketball ) kills almost all the funding for womens sports and mens not rev sports ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    yep making them employees (football and let say maybe mens basketball ) kills almost all the funding for womens sports and mens not rev sports ..
    That’s totally dependent on how much you pay them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    They already have to pay taxes. And, the uni pays insurance because they are involved in an activity that creates above average instances of injury, etc., for the benefit of the university. But, NIL is not pay for play, legally, and they are 1099 vendors for the NIL’s paying them. This is the same as if you were to be paid to be a spokesperson for a business. They wouldn’t hire you as an employee, but as a 1099 supplier of services.

i mean my academic scholarship also included a meal plan and had a decent amount of money for books and supplies. and i was still able to earn money outside of it. so again, why should we treat athletes any different?

NFL, etc. pay kids based on their performance at the college level. College pays based upon performance at the high school level. Education, housing and food are the minimum wage college currently pays. NIL lets colleges pay more for better talent. Colleges and Universities pay all kinds of employees all kinds of money for different jobs. This isn't really different

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    NFL, etc. pay kids based on their performance at the college level. College pays based upon performance at the high school level. Education, housing and food are the minimum wage college currently pays. NIL lets colleges pay more for better talent. Colleges and Universities pay all kinds of employees all kinds of money for different jobs. This isn't really different
    Colleges don't pay. NIL is not the college. People need to understand the difference as it stands legally today. Colleges can coordinate certain aspects, but there is currently a technical wall between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Colleges don't pay. NIL is not the college. People need to understand the difference as it stands legally today. Colleges can coordinate certain aspects, but there is currently a technical wall between them.
    Word it however you want. They are getting paid because they engage in their activity at a specific school.

Blog Entries

Word it however you want. They are getting paid because they engage in their activity at a specific school.
    That is certainly your non-legal description. Doesn't change what they are actually, who's paying them, and how they are getting paid.

That is abstracting away a lot of very critical information. The colleges pay nothing (outside of scholarships).

I predict a G league type set up if the Manchin Tuberville proposal ever becomes law.(Not that it will even be voted on). Football and basketball players are not going to stay at one school for a forced 3 years.
    Interesting that these two senators claimed to have spoken with so called "stake holders" yet fail to mention any talks with players.
    To speculate on an evolution to unionized employees playing collegiate football is no more than worst case speculative opinion. I for one do not see the sky falling. Nor do I see the governing body allowing non athletes to compete.

15. Default Re: Paying college athletes

UPS drivers work their rear ends off and often end up with chronic physical ailments. They negotiate traffic and work in rain, snow and 100 degree heat without a/c in many cases still. They are required to work until their truck is empty and have difficult delivery quotas. Yeah, their pay is "exorbitant."

The fact that there will still be people arguing with a straight face that college athletes don't deserve to make any money (whether via NIL or official employee status) after what went down in college athletics this week is absolutely hilarious. Same for people who think that college athletes shouldn't get one free undergrad transfer + one free graduate transfer.

17. Default Re: Paying college athletes

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    The fact that there will still be people arguing with a straight face that college athletes don't deserve to make any money (whether via NIL or official employee status) after what went down in college athletics this week is absolutely hilarious. Same for people who think that college athletes shouldn't get one free undergrad transfer + one free graduate transfer.
    I agree completely. As far as transferring 1 free pre grad and 1 free post grad I'm down with. The current system where a player can have 5 years of eligibility and be at 5 different schools is a bit over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I agree completely. As far as transferring 1 free pre grad and 1 free post grad I'm down with. The current system where a player can have 5 years of eligibility and be at 5 different schools is a bit over the top.
    Yes, I'm in agreement with you on that. One pre-grad and one post-grad feels like a good middle ground to me.

Thread Information