Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regarding the State Fair of old in OKC

Default Re: Regarding the State Fair of old in OKC

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    No, it's only relevant to the rich horse crowd that effectively controls it. Many of us consider it to have been "relevant" *to the entire city* the way it *was* until it was *pointlessly changed.* This city has proven what can be done with MAPS. We could have done almost exactly what Dallas did, on our own scale, with our fairgrounds. Instead, snobbish leadership thumbed their nose at it, plowed it under , and some try to pretend it never existed.
    These are 100% innocent questions. No secret "gotcha" or hidden meanings. I am basing them on the current set up at the Fairgrounds, because that is where we are, and what would change. Again, no hidden meanings.

1. What do you miss from the Fairgrounds?

2. What would you add?

3. How often do you attend The State Fair Of Oklahoma?

4. How often do you attend other events at the Fairgrounds?

I understand there are other issues and emotions involved. As a 42 year business neighbor, the Fairgrounds is top of mind for me on a daily basis. And I understand that is not the case for the vast majority of people.

1. The Monorail, The helicopter rides. Bobo the clown (dunk tank), The Speedway.
    2. I wish there was something similar and more modern to replace the Monorail.
    3. I go to the fair once every year on Senior Day.
    4. 1-2 other events each year. I just went to the Remodel and Landscape show a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    1. The Monorail, The helicopter rides. Bobo the clown (dunk tank), The Speedway.
    2. I wish there was something similar and more modern to replace the Monorail.
    3. I go to the fair once every year on Senior Day.
    4. 1-2 other events each year. I just went to the Remodel and Landscape show a few weeks ago.
    This is a great response. Thank you!

Blog Entries

No, it's only relevant to the rich horse crowd that effectively controls it. Many of us consider it to have been "relevant" *to the entire city* the way it *was* until it was *pointlessly changed.* This city has proven what can be done with MAPS. We could have done almost exactly what Dallas did, on our own scale, with our fairgrounds. Instead, snobbish leadership thumbed their nose at it, plowed it under , and some try to pretend it never existed.
    Your anti snob snobbery completely ignores the value of the horse industry and all the people it supports. You confuse it with polo or high level thoroughbred race horse owners. Lol. Turning the fair into some kind of class struggle is misguided.

Debt,

I started the thread and did not see your reply till now. My thoughts

1. I miss the gritty midway of the 70s and the exhibits of old. My thoughts are that the fair board rushed headlong into remaking it, and in doing so, destroyed its character. If the want to have a separate Vocational Agricultural fair fine. But for most people under 30, such a fair is boring. As I noted before, I have NOT BEEN BACK, since bringing the family down from Tulsa in the mid. Nineteen eighties. (!@!%! Auto correct!)

Nor will ever attend again. Yeah, it was that off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    These are 100% innocent questions. No secret "gotcha" or hidden meanings. I am basing them on the current set up at the Fairgrounds, because that is where we are, and what would change. Again, no hidden meanings.

2. What would you add?

I understand there are other issues and emotions involved. As a 42 year business neighbor, the Fairgrounds is top of mind for me on a daily basis. And I understand that is not the case for the vast majority of people.
    1. Miss some of the smaller local vendors like Lewis Beef and recently Sammys that stopped coming because of either higher fees or in case of Sammys....not allowing vendor beers sales anymore taking away the added profit.
    2. The are adding it this year and that is the Octofest. Would bring back some type of monorail.
    3. We get the season pass and go daily. We also shut the office down one day for "staff training" at the fair
    4. We go to most home shows/auto shows if we are in town

I love the size of the new Bennett building but they have consolidated everything to it making the other building less exciting. Each building used to have its own vibe that seemed not to be there last year. Would be nice for the new car section to get built back up. A lot of the brands stopped coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Your anti snob snobbery completely ignores the value of the horse industry and all the people it supports. You confuse it with polo or high level thoroughbred race horse owners. Lol. Turning the fair into some kind of class struggle is misguided.
    It's also reality. It isn't my fault a prior mayor literally said he wanted the fair to get away from it's "funnel cakes and corn dog image." That's a quote. It was widely publicized and part of a newspaper article, and was prelude to the scorched earth nonsense that destroyed the fair. It was literally *driven* by wealthy elites who didn't like it. Don't turn this on me for one second. Blame the mayor who started it.

Blog Entries

It's also reality. It isn't my fault a prior mayor literally said he wanted the fair to get away from it's "funnel cakes and corn dog image." That's a quote. It was widely publicized and part of a newspaper article, and was prelude to the scorched earth nonsense that destroyed the fair. It was literally *driven* by wealthy elites who didn't like it. Don't turn this on me for one second. Blame the mayor who started it.
    Argue that you don't want to give up your childhood, but this class warfare crap is lame. Wanting to raise the profile above a small county fair image isn't a class thing, it’s an alternative vision. The bitterness towards people who have been more successful than you doesn’t make it class competition.

2. What would you add?

1. The racetrack, mostly... but also the space needle and the monorail, as well as the historical artifacts that used to be scattered around the grounds. Like, what happened to that old Titan II missile?
    2. Buildings and attractions that could drive year-round traffic from more than just the animal agriculture industry; things like a modern racetrack, or monthly farmers' markets (with appropriate shade structures), or BMX/Skateboard park type facilities, or even an outdoor multipurpose stadium of some variety.
    3. Usually once or twice per year.
    4. Never, outside of the occasional gun show or auto show. I wish I had more incentive to visit more often!

How much revenue does the Texas Fair park generate in revenue the other 11 months of the year? The Texas Fair Park was designed to be a tourist attraction, OKC built its tourist attractions closer to the core and that was a direct impact from MAPS.

The sad reality is that we now live in an over stimulated society that is difficult to entertain. Even Disney is demolishing the riverboat, river and Tom Sawyer island for a "cars land". Those are things that Walt himself suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    How much revenue does the Texas Fair park generate in revenue the other 11 months of the year? The Texas Fair Park was designed to be a tourist attraction, OKC built its tourist attractions closer to the core and that was a direct impact from MAPS.
    I was curious so did a quick google search, Can't answer your question but was surprised at the differnce in the websites for Texas and Oklahoma State Fairs. IMHO, TSF is lightyears ahead of our website in design and information. Speaking of transparency, Texas has their financial statements and audit posted on their website. Both are 501 (C)(3),

https://bigtex.com/
    https://okstatefair.com/

The grounds themselves are completely different animals. The State fair Park had "over 5.3 million people visit Fair Park annually attending over 1200 special events, sporting events, concerts, performances and the State Fair of Texas." "Fair Park, the most visited attraction in Texas, is home to five museums and ten performance and sporting venues that include the Music Hall, Dos Equis Pavilion, Band Shell, Texas Discovery Gardens and the Cotton Bowl Stadium." https://www.dallasparks.org/242/Fair-Park

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I was curious so did a quick google search, Can't answer your question but was surprised at the differnce in the websites for Texas and Oklahoma State Fairs. IMHO, TSF is lightyears ahead of our website in design and information. Speaking of transparency, Texas has their financial statements and audit posted on their website. Both are 501 (C)(3),

https://bigtex.com/
    https://okstatefair.com/

The grounds themselves are completely different animals. The State fair Park had "over 5.3 million people visit Fair Park annually attending over 1200 special events, sporting events, concerts, performances and the State Fair of Texas." "Fair Park, the most visited attraction in Texas, is home to five museums and ten performance and sporting venues that include the Music Hall, Dos Equis Pavilion, Band Shell, Texas Discovery Gardens and the Cotton Bowl Stadium." https://www.dallasparks.org/242/Fair-Park
    Keep in mind, Fair Park in Dallas has those beautiful art deco buildings too. Nice architecture for them, where OKC is very basic in their fairground design.

13. Default Re: Regarding the State Fair of old in OKC

2. What would you add?

I miss the Speedway although it was worn out. The monorail is more of a nostalgic memory that I miss because it was a glimpse of the future when it opened.

Here is what I don't miss, The old worn-out smelly bathrooms. I love the Bennett Center and am looking forward to the OG&E Arena taking us into the next era.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Keep in mind, Fair Park in Dallas has those beautiful art deco buildings too. Nice architecture for them, where OKC is very basic in their fairground design.
    Dallas hosted the Texas Centennial Exposition (World's Fair in 1936); they've maintained the upkeep on those buildings ever since. Many countries come in a build their own expositions--Dallas is a classic example of that.

When there was talk of a World Fair Exposition in OKC prior to 1989, we opted to pursue the Olympic Festival OK89--it turned out to be a great festival for the metro. Paris' was also looking into hosting the World's Fair in 1989 to mark 100 years since the Paris 1889 World's Fair--that's probably why OKC backed away from a World's Fair.
    IIRC there was another attempt for 2007 to host a world's fair in OKC celebrating Oklahoma's 100th statehood anniversary.

Our fairground is on 435 acres; when there was interest in a World Fair exposition--some people didn't think our fairgrounds was large enough to host a world exposition. Knoxville's World's Fair in 1982 barely exceeded 68 acres.

We've got to keep thinking big.

1. Ditto gil's response plus the showcase of vehicles and farm equipment. I also miss the hometown feel and sense of security. The kidnapping of two young women, violence in the midway and the recent shooting have all contributed to my reluctance to ever attend the State Fair again.
    2. I would like more days added to the schedule but I don't think that will ever happen. I believe that after the first week, most are gearing up to go to Dallas for the State Fair of Texas.
    3. My attendance has dwindled over the years due to the removal of attractions with no new additions and it becoming "lame". The increased cost of ticket prices is also a factor. I think it was either 2018 or 2019 when I last attended the State Fair.
    4. I used to go to the new car show at the Bennett Event Center but stopped when most manufacturers stopped showing up an they started charging admission for the event. I attend the free Farm Show but I have missed it the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The kidnapping of two young women, violence in the midway and the recent shooting have all contributed to my reluctance to ever attend the State Fair again.
    Brett, I suppose you are talking about Cinda Pallett and Charlotte Kinsey? I remember it very well, and it was tragic, but it was in 1981. Forty Three Years Ago!

Go back to that time in 1981. Now, go back forty three years before that. Can you imagine if you had heard an older person back in ‘81 say they wouldn’t go to some event because of something that happened back in — 1938? Granted, you mentioned other things, but for one of your three things to be from that long ago… I think time has got away from you in this case.

I think it was either 2001 or 2002 I and a friend were standing just outside the O'Connels tent pavilion watching and listening to the karaoke when not more than 15 ft from where we were someone got their throat slashed with a knife. It was pretty late maybe between 10 and 11 o'clock. A commotion ensued and in less than 30 seconds multiple OCPD were on scene and at least 10 OCPD on horse back arrived to keep the crowd back. We were not sure what actually happened at the time but within about 10 minutes the fair started shutting down and everyone was told to leave. We were more amazed about where all the OCPD on horseback had come from so suddenly. I think we found out the next day on the news what had actually happened. It did not deter me from attending the fair the next year or anytime after that.

Thread Information