Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Race card. How typical.

I was there right after it happened and the cops were swarming, people were standing around watching. I asked a nice lady what happened (she was black, if some of you guys think that is important) and she shook her head, tsked and said someone shoplifted (rolling her eyes to indicate her disgust with such behavior); was followed to the parking lot by security;and shots were exchanged between the shoplifter and security. I 'spect she was just repeating what someone told her but it made more sense than just having a security guard shoot out a fleeing vehicle. Because that makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    was followed to the parking lot by security;and shots were exchanged between the shoplifter and security. I 'spect she was just repeating what someone told her but it made more sense than just having a security guard shoot out a fleeing vehicle. Because that makes no sense at all.
    Surely that would have been reported if true. I can't imagine every single news outlet in OKC getting it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    Surely that would have been reported if true. I can't imagine every single news outlet in OKC getting it wrong.
    I've no idea. I didn't see it. I suspect the young woman who told me was only repeating what she heard and who knows what her source was.

For what it is worth, I have never seen a news report on something that I knew anything about that wasn't filled with errors. Perhaps small errors, but errors just the same. So, no, until they have had a chance to talk to Penn Square and all the witnesses, I don't think the public really knows what happened.

4. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

it made more sense than just having a security guard shoot out a fleeing vehicle. Because that makes no sense at all.
    Makes total sense to me. Isn't right, moral or legal in most cases, but wouldn't shock me one bit. I text'd a police officer from the district that worked the shooting and he replied the only shots fired came from the security guard but couldn't elaborate on any justification for firing those shots.

Even though its technically illegal to shoot at a fleeing suspect in most instances, there have been examples of that happening in the OKC area by both police and citizens and no charges were ever filed against the shooter.

One such citizen example was one a week or two after the Ersland shooting. A homeowner chased two unarmed burglars out of his home and as one was leaving the property in a truck the home owner fired into the truck and hit the burglar in the leg. The home owner never faced any charges.

There is nothing funny about this story but I have to find it amusing from the standpoint of someone who was defending the Crossroads Mall area from those who thought that Penn Square was much safer.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    There is nothing funny about this story but I have to find it amusing from the standpoint of someone who was defending the Crossroads Mall area from those who thought that Penn Square was much safer.
    Hahaha! I think that had more to do with a hostile view towards "the man" than a real concern for personal safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Matt, if shoplifting is your thing, you're probably already a regular at Quail Springs.
    Nah, dude. Penn Square's got all the best stores. What am I gonna steal from Quail, a Zune? Yeah, right.

Looks like the ladies didn't want to give up the $50 earrings

Store security guard hit by fleeing car before shots fired, Oklahoma City police say
    Published: Oct 19, 2010

BY BOB DOUCETTE

A store security guard told police he was struck by a car carrying fleeing shoplifting suspects before he fired shots at the car, police said Tuesday.

Timothy A. Kiddoo, 32, an Oklahoma City Veterans Affairs Medical Center police officer, was working Friday afternoon as a security guard for Dillard's at Penn Square Mall when he followed two women he suspected of stealing items from the store's jewelry department.

As Kiddoo attempted to stop them, one of the women drove her car toward him and struck him in the arm, said police Capt. Patrick Stewart. Kiddoo then fired multiple shots at the car.

It is not known if the women were hit by gunfire.

Detectives waited until Monday to interview Kiddoo as a professional courtesy. They are still investigating the case, Stewart said. When finished, they will present their findings to the Oklahoma County district attorney's office for review.

Veterans Affairs spokeswoman Stacy Rine confirmed Tuesday that Kiddoo is an employee, but declined to say if he is on administrative leave.

The incident is under review internally, Rine said.

Police are still looking for the two women. They fled in an older, red four-door sedan, Stewart said. The car may have bullet holes or other damage from the shooting.

The women were described only as white and with long, dark hair.

CONTRIBUTING: STAFF WRITER MATT DINGER

Talking Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by MartzMimic View Post
    The only justifiable reason I can see for the guard opening fire would be if he thought his life or others were in danger. Perhaps he saw a weapon of some sort, which could include the vehicle if they tried to run over him.
    Well, let me give it up to myself.

10. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Will be interesting to pull the report and see if there were actually any injuries, bruising etc. that were noted and or photographed or if it is just a boilerplate excuse to fire at them. However, the gals were probably stupid enough to risk a murder charge over some earrings. The problem is, I don't want some rent-a-cop, real cop or armed vigilante citizen risking shooting me or someone else over a couple of petty shoplifters. Still looks like he MAY HAVE fired into the back window as the were fleeing and no longer a risk to him. The only risk at that point would be the bullets that obviously missed their mark. Reminds me of the Ersland case. I probably in the end would not have charged him with murder, but I would have certainly considered charging him for shooting across Penn and risking the lives of motorists all for fleeing suspects.

I believe I read somewhere that he is an actual police officer employed by VAMC, but not an OCPD officer. That goes to the type of training he had, his proficiency, and likely the standards by which he either held or opened fire at the suspects. From the shoplifters' (think I got the apostrophe in the right place) standpoint, my decision on whether to resist or surrender would be based upon my assessment of the person chasing me. If he's wearing civvies or looks like a store or mall cop, then I'm out of there, but if he is uniformed, armed and looks serious, I'm more likely to give up.

The standard for a police officer discharging his weapon is if he feels that his life - or that of another - is in imminent danger.

Lots of things we don't yet know, and since the suspects likely won't be apprehended, lots of things we'll NEVER know.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Will be interesting to pull the report and see if there were actually any injuries, bruising etc. that were noted and or photographed or if it is just a boilerplate excuse to fire at them. However, the gals were probably stupid enough to risk a murder charge over some earrings. The problem is, I don't want some rent-a-cop, real cop or armed vigilante citizen risking shooting me or someone else over a couple of petty shoplifters. Still looks like he MAY HAVE fired into the back window as the were fleeing and no longer a risk to him. The only risk at that point would be the bullets that obviously missed their mark. Reminds me of the Ersland case. I probably in the end would not have charged him with murder, but I would have certainly considered charging him for shooting across Penn and risking the lives of motorists all for fleeing suspects.
    Agree 100%. I sure hope that Penn Sq has some cameras that got it all on tape. Hit me in the arm... now it's time to open fire in a damn mall parking lot?? Even if he did get hit in the arm there's no justification on shooting.

13. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    Agree 100%. I sure hope that Penn Sq has some cameras that got it all on tape. Hit me in the arm... now it's time to open fire in a damn mall parking lot?? Even if he did get hit in the arm there's no justification on shooting.
    Penn Square has NO SECURITY CAMERAS (making them *you* a prime target for criminals). Personally, I think it MAY prove to be another example of a cop taking a crime way too personally. If he was close enough to get hit by the car but not hurt then surely his quality of training could have better been used to get a tag number and rest assured everybody goes home alive. That said, I wasn't there, don't know what the truth is and we'll probably never know.

MINOR hijack here. Simon Properties doesn't help matters with their tactic of responding to problems with stony silence. No spokesman was available for comment, and media weren't even allowed on the property. Any student of marketing, media or PR can tell you that this isn't very smart. In the absence of factual information, the speculation is running rampant and damaging Penn Square. Not what their merchants want with 65 shopping days until Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    No spokesman was available for comment, and media weren't even allowed on the property. Any student of marketing, media or PR can tell you that this isn't very smart. In the absence of factual information, the speculation is running rampant and damaging Penn Square. Not what their merchants want with 65 shopping days until Christmas.
    I've been on the legal side of some matters which really ought to have been pretty high profile (and we didn't want them to be). Really... the OKC news media, present company excepted, is fairly lazy, or at least they don't have the resources at their disposal to be able to afford to be tenacious. Especially when it comes to crime and public corruption. Issue a short and simple press release saying that the facts are still being investigated, never follow up, refer any questions back to the press release. Eventually, the media will go away. They just don't have the tenacity or manpower to spend very much time or effort on any single subject if the information sources aren't being cooperative.

16. Default Re: Shooting at Penn Square Mall

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I've been on the legal side of some matters which really ought to have been pretty high profile (and we didn't want them to be). Really... the OKC news media, present company excepted, is fairly lazy, or at least they don't have the resources at their disposal to be able to afford to be tenacious. Especially when it comes to crime and public corruption. Issue a short and simple press release saying that the facts are still being investigated, never follow up, refer any questions back to the press release. Eventually, the media will go away. They just don't have the tenacity or manpower to spend very much time or effort on any single subject if the information sources aren't being cooperative.
    Agree 100%. People would never believe me if they knew how many times the media calls me for tips for news stories completely unrelated to my activism. Its like they show up for work and have no idea what they are going to report. I love them (many are close personal friends), but the industry is not as credible as they would have you believe and they reduced 'reporting' to a dog and pony show. Additionally, I do not understand why journalists are not required to take criminal justice classes since that is what they will report on 75% of the time.

Agree 100%. People would never believe me if they knew how many times the media calls me for tips for news stories completely unrelated to my activism. Its like they show up for work and have no idea what they are going to report. I love them (many are close personal friends), but the industry is not as credible as they would have you believe and they reduced 'reporting' to a dog and pony show. Additionally, I do not understand why journalists are not required to take criminal justice classes since that is what they will report on 75% of the time.
    I studied broadcasting in undergrad (was part of my major). In fact, I worked for UCO's Channel 22 as an anchor and reporter. We were one of the top broadcasting programs in the U.S., they still are as far as I know. That is precisely how it worked though. I'd show up to work every day, mid-afternoon, knowing I had to turn in a 1 minute 30-second package to air on that night's program and I had about three hours to get the interviews, get the video, lay down my voice tracks, do my stand ups, edit the tape, have it ready for air, and be dressed and prepped to anchor. Sometimes the producer would have something picked out for me to cover, sometimes I was on my own. The way budgets are at local media stations, it can't be a lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I was wondering how long it'd be before someone brought Crossroads up

Penn Square has NO SECURITY CAMERAS (making them *you* a prime target for criminals). Personally, I think it MAY prove to be another example of a cop taking a crime way too personally. If he was close enough to get hit by the car but not hurt then surely his quality of training could have better been used to get a tag number and rest assured everybody goes home alive. That said, I wasn't there, don't know what the truth is and we'll probably never know.

Well, I don't know if the shots should have been fired or not but I do have to say, I would have trouble not taking it personally if someone tried to run me down with a car.

Thread Information