Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Iguana

Default Re: Iguana Lounge

I was lucky enough to be invited to a "test" dinner last night. The place is really cute and very urban. It has a great patio that I think will be a hit. Reminds me of some of the places I used to go in Dallas on Lower Greenville.

The food was great. For fans of the old Iguana, the menu is very similar. I had adobo chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce, black beans and potatoes. The service seems very capable and the training seemed to be going well.

I think it will be a Downtown favorite!

kim, did they say anything about when they open to the public?

Wink Re: Iguana Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    I was lucky enough to be invited to a "test" dinner last night........

KIMMMMIE!!

And you didn't call and ask me to go with you?!? See how you are........

I miss you Del! Did the nor'easter blow in yet?

Metro, I think I heard July 1.

Go down and see them today...they're tucked in by the tracks on 9th under the pretty sycamores. They are there serving stuff in a soft opening sort of thing I believe. Robert is a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    I miss you Del! Did the nor'easter blow in yet?
    Miss you too. The wind changes tomorrow, Wednesday, a little after 6:00 pm. We'll get together - at the Iguana.

I drove by tonight and it looked pretty packed. It's really nice looking - I had no clue it was going to be over there.

I too was lucky enough to score an invitation to the soft opening. I enjoyed a great lunch there Tuesday. The building is great, with fabulous artwork. The menu offers wallet-friendly things like tacos, burritos, enchiladas (around $8.50) and higher-end items like steak, seafood, etc, so it will really please younger crowds, as well as our parents. Both Robert and Steve stopped by our table to see what we thought- they've put a lot of heart into the place and it's going to be a hit! Expect to see them open early next week. The address is 9 NW 9 if you're still looking for it.

i hope they got that salsa, it was the bomb back in the day. it's that fire.

11. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by ISayGoPokes View Post
    The address is 9 NW 9 if you're still looking for it.
    What a cool, memorable address! I'll have to check this out soon. Wish i could go tonight!

12. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

It looks like a really nice from the outside... Very different than what it looked like on western.. Does anyone know if they still have the honey smoked bean nachos?!?!

I drove by there after work on Friday and it does look pretty nice. I like how it's tucked away in the trees. The parking lot was packed and the sign on the door said they would be open June 30th. I'll definitely be checking them out again this week.

14. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

Actually the name of this incarnation is Iguana Mexican Grill . . .

Attended a private party on Saturday night and everything was served family style . . . tasty black beans, good salsa selection (pretty mild though) . . . good cevichi and really good fajitas, accompanied by roasted and grilled vegetables . . . Steve Mason has done a really good job with the building. The existing brick building with old iron casement windows was added on and the west exterior wall of the old building is now an interior wall with a rustic sliding wood that divides the space into three dining areas. The decor is simple and tasteful. The mature trees add a really nice neighborhood feel to the area.

Sara Sara Cup Cake Shop will be opening next door in an old house that is being rehabbed . . . lots and lots of rehab.

I'll be heading back.
    Last edited by The Old Downtown Guy; 06-30-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Left some stuff out
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

15. Default Re: Iguana Lounge

Took the wife there for lunch the other day. Been watching the place under renovation and was anxious to give it a try.

The lot is really nice and well planned out (though parking it tight).

We loved decor! It is actually exactly what I would want to renovate and live in as a personal residence/office.

The staff was friendly and prompt and the place was already full at 11:40am.

Lots of downtown types in suits and office casual.

The menu was adaquate with plenty of choices of standard and non-standard Mexican fair.

I had the fish taco with roasted potatoes and the wife had the beef enchilada with roasted potatoes.

The meal was served with a heaping bowl of chips and salsa.

The chips were all over the place quality wise. Some were really hard and others were light and crisp with a few chewy ones in just to keep you guessing.

The salsa was incredible and by far my favorite of the entire experience.

My fish taco was okay but nothing compared to ones I've had at Pearls in the past.

The roasted potatoes were okay too, but on the dry and bland side for both of our tastes. maybe some cilantro or shredded cheese would have given it some blam.

The wife said the enchilada was okay but she's had better. Not as fast foodish as Chelino's but not nearly as good as Abuelo's.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10 with most of the weight going to the atmosphere, clientele and the salsa. That said, I'd give it another go for dinner and maybe a drink at the bar.

We ate for the first time at "The Original Ole" a few days ago too (Penn and Memorial), and I gotta say, I liked the food better.

Anyone know the hours at this place, or have a phone number for the restaurant? I used to love the old Iguana.

Thanks!

Hey Bail Jumper, are the fish tacos baja style?

You know, Bail Jumper is pretty accurate in his account. I've eaten there twice, and I can honestly say it's not yet even as good as the old one on Western. I think the chef decided to take liberties with the old menu, and I desperately miss their pork tacos. They have pork tacos now, but the recipe is very different and nowhere in the same zip code as good. They do still have the coral snake salsa, Thank God.

The salsa they give you when you sit down is some of the most bland I've had in Oklahoma City. Sucked.

That said, it's early and I'm giving them another chance. I really want it to succeed because I like the people and the location and miss the Old Iguana. I'll be dining there again soon and I'll provide an update.

I visited the restaurant last Thursday night. They were fairly busy. I had the mahi, and it was delicious. I also had the queso appetizer, which was very good, and the chocolate chimi for dessert. All the food was good, but I think that it was a bit over-priced. I will definitely return and maybe try something else, or whatever.

I visited there a week ago and had their Fajitas. I thought they were very nice. I really like the atmosphere there, it's unique from 1492. I do admit the salsa was a bit bland, but the service and the rest of the food I had was great. I wish it wasn't so tucked away on 9th street though so it could have better exposure.

Had a light lunch there today. Ordered the appetizer taco combo (2 fish, 2 chicken) and the coral snake salsa. Outstanding. Even for a "light" lunch, walked away very satisfied for a ten dollar ticket (plus tip). Sat at the bar and had great service, which seemed to be consistent throughout the restaurant.

The menu looked great - seemed like quite a bit of variety, most of which was also unique. (Never seen ceviche done with grapefruit juice before, but I applaud the experiment).

I read the complaints about the "regular" salsa they serve being bland. While not a salsa to snack on all evening, it was certainly adequate for a basic table salsa. I used it as a condiment for my meal after the other salsa was served. I think any salsa lover who doesn't order one of the specialty salsas is really missing out.

Barkeep said business had been great - usually on a wait by 8:00.

Great addition to downtown - I will definitely recommend them to friends.

I'm glad to hear all of these positive reviews.

We tried to go the other night, but folks were spilling out of the place, so decided it wasn't the best time.

Of course, it was 7:00 on a Saturday night, so what would you expect.

We then tried hitting McNellies, Irma's, Iron Star, and the Wedge. Of course, all filled to the brim.

I usually don't mind waiting, but we had had a full day, and were a bit tired and not in the mood for a long wait for dinner.

It's great to see so many fabulous (and LOCAL) establishments doing so well.

I might try going for lunch instead one of these days. Maybe I'll have better luck. Of course, then I can't see if the brought back the magic Perfect Margarita I've been clamoring for.

I've now returned to Iguana twice since my last post. Sadly, I'm a bit disappointed. They have a great front of house person and excellent chef, but oddly, the food is mediocre. The atmosphere is great and I'm pulling for them, but they need to get it together quick. Right now, I can say unequivocally that 1492 has much better food. I have not given up on them yet, though! They need to get it in shape fast. The dye will be cast and it will be too late. I wish them luck.

By the way, I have had terrible service twice now. I realize they're just opening the restaurant and getting it together, but the wait staff there leaves something to be desired.

We went for a business lunch last week, and the service was horrible. The waiter forgot to turn in our order and we had to wave down someone any time we needed anything as our waiter was never in the room we were seated in. The burrito I had was good, as was the salsa bar they gave us for forgetting our order, but the chips were ok as was the house salsa.

Worst part was that even after we told them we were in a hurry and wanted our check as our food was delivered, it still took 30 minutes for our waiter to return with our check. Definitely not what the area business folks are looking for in terms of a quick lunch. Hopefully the service will get better.

Well, let's not forget that when 1492 opened, the first reviews of it were horrible. I remember reading\hearing about the bad food\service. All I can say is that when I went to Iguana Lounge on a Tuesday night, the food was great as well as the service. I think the food at Iguana Lounge is better than 1492. But let's give the guys a break, they just opened. Give it a few weeks and I think they'll be in fine order.

Thread Information