Widgets Magazine

View Poll Results: What league should OKC go after next?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • OKC can only support one major league franchise

23 39.66%
  • MLB: Major League Baseball

6 10.34%
  • NHL: National Hockey League

7 12.07%
  • NFL: National Football League

9 15.52%
  • MLS: Major League Soccer

9 15.52%
  • OKC can’t support one major league franchise long term

4 6.90%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What league should OKC go after next?

1. Default Re: What league should OKC go after next?

I reserve this spot for a future post.

ChristianConservative Guest

Default Re: What league should OKC go after next?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I reserve this for the dumbest post of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Too bad you can't edit after your post has been up for a certain (short) period of time.

4. Default Re: What league should OKC go after next?

My opinion, if you so desire to have it, is that while the NFL would do very well here, MLB have a better chance to show up here.

Anderson, are you ever going to tell us which of commissioner(s) you correspond with regularly?

(I think he was telling us lies folks)

ChristianConservative Guest

He's just blowing smoke.

Apparenly, I know he's read this thread. Perhaps if he ignores it, the questions will go away?

What is the point of telling lies on an internet message board? Is it to make oneself feel important?

As a side note, I just got off the phone with Kim Jong Il. He tells me that if an NFL or MLB franchise locates to Oklahoma City, we can say goodbye to Hawaii.

So I guess that's it

Also, I just ran into Osama Bin Ladin. Apparenly, he's been hiding in the Oklahoma City concourse. He's really hopeful that the Hornets will stay. He's a huge fan.

I really, really hate to agree with Anderson.

But…..

The NFL is more likely than you think, once LA has a team again (for TV ratings reasons) the NFL has little care where a team goes so long as the seats are full. Local success for the NFL is judged entirely on ticket sales, and OU has a larger stadium than all but one NFL team and does OK. NFL has a salary cap and real revenue sharing in that there is no local TV, it’s all on national contracts. The NFL has to be looking at Oklahoma, San Antonio and Alabama for teams once they get a team into LA, IF they ever get a team into LA. It’s just not a good pro football market.

But there-in lies the issues for the NFL in Oklahoma City. One, teams rarely relocate and LA is first and the league will lean on any moving team to go there, hard. So it will likely be years before a team even becomes available. Second, there is no stadium and OU and likely OSU will not share, even for a little while. Third, would Oklahoma City be chosen? OU will fight this in the OKC market politically, San Antonio has an available at least temporary stadium and Birmingham has one too. So does Tulsa in TU, who can always use the money. TU’s stadium is not a long term solution, but could be used while one is built.

I think OKC will get the Sonics, and some poor struggling NHL team, both in the next two to three years. Therein also lies the fourth problem, Oklahoma City is in no way large enough for three major league teams. So when the NFL looks to the football mad state of Oklahoma, and it will, even more so with the now probable success of NBA and NHL, it will go where there is a stadium, no political fight and no major league competition. It will be years and years, but I think it’s likely. Tulsa almost should start planning a stadium now. I think San Antonio and LA will get the next teams, and Tulsa, Portland and Birmingham could likely fight for the one after that.

I don’t see MLB being any possibility in the next several decades unless the next Microsoft or something is founded in one of our cities that ignites some sort of unheard of growth.

10. Default Re: What league should OKC go after next?

very good points Swake.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I think OKC should build a MAPS style 65,000 seat stadium near downtown. With that, we could dangle it in front of the NFL and tell them it's debt free. Let us prove ourselves.

NFL would fly big-time in OKC.

If we had such a stadium, maybe OCU could start a football team? I know they're going into Division I for basketball -- why not have a decent football stadium?

It could also host a Bedlam game with a 50/50 seat distribution like the OU-TX game.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    If we had such a stadium, maybe OCU could start a football team? I know they're going into Division I for basketball -- why not have a decent football stadium?

It could also host a Bedlam game with a 50/50 seat distribution like the OU-TX game.
    Great ideas.

Add a college bowl game into the mix. The Mathis Brothers-Gaylord Family Prairie Sonic Oil Bowl.

Played at the Garth Brooks/Toby Keith Arena.

Me likey!

But really, I think a football stadium in OKC would get some good use regardless of the NFL. Big 12 Championship, Bedlam, Bowl Games, Pre-Season College Football Games, High School Rivalries/Championships, Band Competitions, Big Concerts, Soccer even...

Luke, I'd like to make sure that the NBA is able to do well here. Building a stadium would probably mean another 2% sales tax (or something of that nature). No doubt the program to build the stadium would be run in a shady and inefficient way.

If the Hornets do well here and keep doing well here even during bad seasons, we'll see some interest from other leagues. If not, then we'll be a one-team town.

OK, I've got it.

Call up Gaylord and Boone Pickens. If Pickens has money to blow on a stadium expansion that OSU doesn't even fill up as it it, surely he can throw money at a high profile NFL stadium in a major city. And Gaylord seems to like his name on all sorts of stuff.

Maybe between the two of them, they can build us:

Gaylord Pickens Stadium.

That name alone may warrant this idea to the trash bin.

18. Default Re: What league should OKC go after next?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    OK, I've got it.

Call up Gaylord and Boone Pickens. If Pickens has money to blow on a stadium expansion that OSU doesn't even fill up as it it, surely he can throw money at a high profile NFL stadium in a major city. And Gaylord seems to like his name on all sorts of stuff.

Maybe between the two of them, they can build us:

Gaylord Pickens Stadium.

That name alone may warrant this idea to the trash bin.
    Or "the Picklord Dome."

Anderson, you still haven't told us which commissioners you correspond with.

20. Default Re: What league should OKC go after next?

Anderson, you still haven't told us which commissioners you correspond with.
    ...And I will not. So, please stop asking. The information was given to me with the agreement I not reveal who said it. Plus... PLEASE STOP CALLING ME "ANDERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

hey andy, lighten up

Well, we know that MLS was looking at Edmond and Oklahoma very seriously a few years ago -- particularly at UCO as a MLS site.

Unless your regular correspondence is with MLS, you are either claiming that you personally correspond with the NFL and/or the MLB commissioners.

Sure.

23. Default Re: What league should OKC go after next?

Quote Originally Posted by Swake2 View Post
    hey andy, lighten up
    Excuse me? My dad was Andy. I am MR ANDERSON. Please show respect and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson View Post
    Excuse me? My dad was Andy. I am MR ANDERSON. Please show respect and use it.
    If you'll refer to me as "Your royal highness" I'll be glad to call you mranderson.

Until then, you'll have to settle.

At any rate, I guess it's either the MLB, NFL or NHL commissioners you speak with on a regular basis. If I pick up the phone and call them, telling them that I know Anderson, what sort of response will I get?

25. Default Re: What league should OKC go after next?

If you'll refer to me as "Your royal highness" I'll be glad to call you mranderson.

Until then, you'll have to settle.

At any rate, I guess it's either the MLB, NFL or NHL commissioners you speak with on a regular basis. If I pick up the phone and call them, telling them that I know Anderson, what sort of response will I get?
    I will not settle. Now. Back to topic and stay there!

Thread Information