Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Megabus is coming to OKC!!!

Default Re: Megabus is coming to OKC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    meh! another way to get to Dallas. Need optionss to other cities, KC, Denver, Memphis
    Perhaps the other cities come with expansion. But to meh a 1-2 buck transfer to Dallas, that I do not really grasp. There is no other minimum budget option out there to my knowledge, except perhaps if one rides with a friend and doesn't chip in on the gas.

If a bus company can operate with such low fares, in places where congestion is not a major problem it may be worth looking at this as replacement in some cases for Amtrak.
    Amtrak could save money and divert resources to improved service where big city congestion is a serious consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    If a bus company can operate with such low fares, in places where congestion is not a major problem it may be worth looking at this as replacement in some cases for Amtrak.
    Amtrak could save money and divert resources to improved service where big city congestion is a serious consideration.
    Actually, Amtrak already runs its own bus system based on the very things you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Actually, Amtrak already runs its own bus system.
    Yes, I already knew that.

But it’s pretty clear that Amtrak trains and busses are not operated nearly as efficient.
    The state of Oklahoma could help subsides this bus line and still save millions by eliminating it’s funning for the Heartland Flyer train.

Yes, I already knew that.

But it’s pretty clear that Amtrak trains and busses are not operated nearly as efficient.
    The state of Oklahoma could help subsides this bus line and still save millions by eliminating it’s funning for the Heartland Flyer train.
    A bus is no where near efficient as a train. It isn't even close.

No........This bus would be a much more efficient use of money for the state of Oklahoma and isn't even close!
    Freight is a difference story.

No........This bus would be a much more efficient use of money for the state of Oklahoma and isn't even close!
    Freight is a difference story.
    LOL, I rarely agree with Kerry but he's right this time and wasn't referring to freight.

Doesn't it depend on how many passengers you are carrying and the frequency of service being provided?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    LOL, I rarely agree with Kerry but he's right this time and wasn't referring to freight.
    When all things are considered I’m pretty sure that Megabus can move people at a cheaper rate per mile than can Amtrak.

A set of busses cost far less than a complete train. A locomotive alone would surly cost several million. A train is much more substantial piece of equipment and its maintenance would be very costly.
    How many people does Amtrak employ on a typical Train (3 or 4 I think) with their high benefits and wages compared to one bus driver per bus. Passenger trains have special equipped tracks that are costly and must be maintained. A Megabus already has preexisting roads that are going to exist regardless of the buses existence.

To offer such cheap fares and to still be expanding like they are Megabus must doing something right.
    Amtrak still needs additional billions of dollars’ worth of fed government subsidies and in some cases needs some state and local funding help.
    Then add that in many cases Megabus is quicker and often offers more frequent service.

Yes, I’m pretty sure that on balance Megabus is a more efficient use of money.

No one is claiming Amtrak is an efficient operator. I have long supported state based rail systems and not a federal system. The Modern Streetcar Project in OKC ran the numbers and rail is cheaper. Moving people relativly short distances in the NE is much more profitable than moving between Dallas and OKC so we will see how they do on these new routes. A single seat on a bus from OKC to Dallas could be used by 3 people between NYC and Philly. Maybe we should look at Mega-train between OKC and Tulsa.

How many people does Amtrak employ on a typical Train (3 or 4 I think) with their high benefits and wages compared to one bus driver per bus.
    Hmmm. Is it possible that a train with 3 or 4 employees could carry considerably more people than three or four buses with one employee per bus? Yes, I think it could.

You have been a big proponent in the past of commuter rail between OKC and Norman. If they were running buses at a lower fare would you still be in favor of rail?

Hmmm. Is it possible that a train with 3 or 4 employees could carry considerably more people than three or four buses with one employee per bus? Yes, I think it could.
    Yes that is possibly true, however I would bet that the Amtrak employees total compensation is far higher than the average Mega bus driver and we would also need to account for the supporting staff + more.

Government seldom does anything as efficiently as does the private sector !!!

You have been a big proponent in the past of commuter rail between OKC and Norman. If they were running buses at a lower fare would you still be in favor of rail?
    For me this is mostly an issue of relieving congestion, increasing efficiency and making society more prosperous.

Yes I am a proponent of light rail, commuter rail and even high speed rail when it relives congestion and makes society more efficient and productive. But when there are very acceptable alternatives that offer significant cost savings for the tax payer it’s smarter to put your limited resources to work elsewhere.

As the greater OKC area grows congestion will become a bigger and bigger problem. I would eventually like to see a fast commuter rail system constructed. The sooner we develop a master commuter rail plan for our area the more effective it will be even if its 20 years before it comes into operation. We would be able to build up near the system with both government and private money in ways that would eventually help support the rail system.

I would also try to find a way to have the day to day operations operated by a private entity because once again...............

Government seldom does anything as efficiently as does the private sector!!!

Yes that is possibly true, however I would bet that the Amtrak employees total compensation is far higher than the average Mega bus driver and we would also need to account for the supporting staff + more.

Government seldom does anything as efficiently as does the private sector !!!
    Possibly, but payroll is really an insignificant amount in the cost of either means of transporation. It's certainly not a reason to favor one over the other.

Yes I am a proponent of light rail, commuter rail and even high speed rail when it relives congestion and makes society more efficient and productive. But when there are very acceptable alternatives that offer significant cost savings for the tax payer it’s smarter to put your limited resources to work elsewhere.
    So just to be sure I understand for future reference, you would prefer bus service between OKC and Norman if the cost to the public was less. Is that correct?

So just to be sure I understand for future reference, you would prefer bus service between OKC and Norman if the cost to the public was less. Is that correct?
    Go back and reread what I wrote and you will see that when the public is made more prosperous by having trains, I will favor trains and that time is coming for our area.

Megabus has now added Oklahoma City to Dallas service with departures at 8:00AM , 1:00 PM and 7PM
    They will depart from the NW corner of N. Hudson Ave and NW 5th St. in OKC

Megabus has moved its Dallas location to Grand Prairie. This makes it not as convenient, I don't believe.

19. Default Re: Megabus is coming to OKC!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lremy View Post
    Megabus has moved its Dallas location to Grand Prairie. This makes it not as convenient, I don't believe.
    This is the new location: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=710+D...ie=UTF-8&hl=en

Doesn't really look like a place I would want to go...at all.

I think that is just the bus yard (maintenance) - not their bus stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Lremy View Post
    If I understand correctly, that's only a temporary stop until the downtown stop is ready.... I hope that's the case.

22. Default Re: Megabus is coming to OKC!!!

I think that is just the bus yard (maintenance) - not their bus stop.
    Dallas, TX - Stop Change

Posted: Wednesday June 13, 2012
    Please be advised that the pick-up and drop off location for Dallas, TX has moved. The new pick-up/drop-off point will be located at 710 Davis Street in Grand Prairie. The new stop is at the Coach USA Bus Facility. There are pick-up and drop-off facilities at the facility, but no parking is available on site. Megabus.com’s arrival/departure location will not be on Elm Street between N. Olive St and S. Pearl St. in downtown Dallas – as we announced in May – because the required facility changes at the downtown location will not be completed by June 19. We sincerely regret the inconvenience that may be caused as a result of the change. Further information on the stop location can be found in the bus stops section of the website.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirl View Post
    If I understand correctly, that's only a temporary stop until the downtown stop is ready.... I hope that's the case.
    That's the vibe I'm getting, so hopefully that is correct.

Thanks Venture79 - that clears that up.

This is information on the Dallas relocation

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...-instead.html/

I talked to somebody at OU who works in OU’s transit department.

OU will be moving its south oval drop off point to a new transit center on Brooks Street near the duck pond. They hope to make this the OU bus hub and the location for the OU station for commuter rail if it's ever built.

The current Megabus drop off / pick up point is at the LNC but this person thought Meagbus would move to the new duck pond location.
    This person said that Meagbus may expand its service to from OKC to Tulsa and on to Kansas City.

Thread Information