Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oklahoma City Tennis Center

Default Re: World Class Tennis Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I'm not a tennis player or fan, but this is a great idea. I love what's happening to bricktown/downtown, but don't understand why some feel as though everything needs to go there.
    Because without a healthy core, a city isn't healthy. WE are becoming healthy because we are re-investing back in the core. Urban Renewal devastated our city. Once the core is more stable, I imagine more investment in other districts will happen organically.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Because without a healthy core, a city isn't healthy. WE are becoming healthy because we are re-investing back in the core. Urban Renewal devastated our city. Once the core is more stable, I imagine more investment in other districts will happen organically.
    So you support having a healthy core while the rest decays and dies, interesting!!

To be fair, the city spent almost $2 million upgrading the OKC Tennis Center in 2006. It was a nice facility to start and is excellent now.

They have also been systematically upgrading/improving just about every city park over the last several years.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Another concept could be to make this phase 1 of a complex/campus idea:

That complex is an excellent concept. Not only would it permit us to possibly lure a MLS franchise, it also solves the question of where will the Barons play when the Cox site is redeveloped.

Build this on the Co-op site and I can definitely see a MLS franchise becoming part of the OKC sports landscape. We were fairly close about 6 or 7 years ago with Wantland Stadium at UCO being the proposed home. The stadium would need to seat around 25000 I think. The NCAA womens soccer championship would also be a potential event that could be held there. I doubt we would ever get the mens tournament here because the only Div I mens soccer program in the state is at Tulsa.

(And I think the tennis stadium is a great idea too.)

Maybe a good MAPS 4 initiative would be an entire sports complex on the old Co-op site: a 15,000 seat stadium that could be expanded in the future and that could be configured for soccer, track, and football; multiple sports fields of all types; a new aquatics center; tennis courts; other training facilities.

Would tie in nicely with everything in the adjacent Boathouse Row and the indoor climbing center and bring even more people to Bricktown to the immediate north and downtown in general.

This aerial shows the recreation potential of the river area.

In order to really spur new development and get people to live south of the old I-40, I think we'll need to build out the recreation features of the area.

Also, seeing that one of the biggest problems in town is obesity rates, this is an area where the city really needs to invest. It would also help to connect the Capitol Hill area with the central core, and that district has crazy potential.

With all that recreation area, where would we put the Mcdonalds and strip malls?

I kid, but honestly, a multiuse complex downtown would be awesome. Will Rodgers is a great complex, but will never host a pro tournament due to the lack of spectator seating. It works great for hosting the HS state tournament, but would be difficult for pros. Also, the area is still seedy at times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Maybe a good MAPS 4 initiative would be an entire sports complex on the old Co-op site: a 15,000 seat stadium that could be expanded in the future and that could be configured for soccer, track, and football; multiple sports fields of all types; a new aquatics center; tennis courts; other training facilities.

Would tie in nicely with everything in the adjacent Boathouse Row and the indoor climbing center and bring even more people to Bricktown to the immediate north and downtown in general.
    The MAPS IV initiative would definitely have to include some type of stadium--one which could be expanded--MLS should be on our radar and they would be a nice anchor tenant. Most MLS stadiums have seating to accommodate in the neighborhood of 22,000 to 30,000 people.

Salt Lake City has about the same demographics as OKC recently got MLS. Their stadium is in suburban Sandy, Utah and seats 21,000 costing about $115 million. We could probably build something seating 30,000 for about $150 million.

Rio Tinto Stadium (Sandy, Salt Lake City, Utah): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Tinto_Stadium

Also there is the MLS' Home Depot Center in Carson, CA seating right at 27,000 (cost $150 - $180 million):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Home_Depot_Center

If you look at the capacity of current MLS stadiums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...occer_stadiums) I think it would be wise to build a smaller stadium that you could fill up. I think 17-18,000 would be perfect IMHO. Both Denver and KC have 18,000 seat stadiums and San Jose is build one at that size currently.

It still makes more sense for Tulsa to build this because they have a million people with no professional team (Shock don't count), but if OKC can get it done I think it might succeed. The important question to ask is, would OKC support the Thunder and a MLS team if they were both bad? I have my doubts.

I had completely forgotten that when the City paid to renovate the OKC Tennis Center at Will Rogers Park, they also included the option to add a 3,000 seat stadium later.

I know this doesn't fit the definition of "world class", as it's smaller and pretty basic, but there is a general plan and location identified for this purpose.

Follow the link for a complete study and budget.

http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2...2083451749.PDF

thanks for posting that link pete

That would be good for Missouri Valley tournaments.

I take it that the plan for the stadium at Will Rodgers was/ is canned? Was it by chance just moved back for review at a later date?

Default Re: Oklahoma City Tennis Center

City Council voting next week for ADG to go forward with more improvements of the tennis center:

This project provides for the Architect’s design and all other architectural services related to Oklahoma City Tennis Center improvements, including but not limited to, construction of three new adult tennis courts, rehabilitation of three existing adult tennis courts, a building to enclose the six tennis courts described above (three new and three existing), five new youth tennis courts, and landscaping/hardscaping to provide access to and from parking and other facilities within the Oklahoma City Tennis Center Campus. Depending on achievement of funding described above, the project may be expanded to include, but not be limited to, classroom/administrative/restroom/support spaces, new clubhouse with snack bar, and a new entry to the Tennis Center Campus
    http://www.okctenniscenter.net/

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-tenn...rticle/3782318

Oklahoma City Tennis Center to undergo $2.88 million upgrade
    BY MIKE BALDWIN, Staff Writer, mbaldwin@opubco.com • Published: April 11, 2013

The Oklahoma City Tennis Center announced on Thursday it will undergo a $2.88 million upgrade that includes indoor courts in addition to introducing an inner city youth program.

“This is a huge deal for the tennis community,” said Brad Lund, a board member of the First Serve Campaign. “To have indoor courts in a public facility is quite the coup for a public parks tennis player. This is something the tennis community has discussed for a number of years. Now that it's coming to fruition is a tremendous accomplishment.”

The city of Oklahoma City is providing $1.44 million. The First Serve Campaign is raising a matching $1.44 million from the private sector. When funds are raised officials plan to break ground this fall, the new-look complex possibly opening next March or April.

Improvements at the Oklahoma City Tennis Center will include five new USTA sanctioned indoor courts, a 10-and-under venue, outdoor court cabanas, upgrades to the outdoor stadium court and landscaping on the eastern portion of the facility.

The First Serve youth tennis program will enable inner city kids an opportunity to play year round.

“We would like to see tennis become a safe haven for many of our inner city youngsters,” Lund said. “Put a tennis racket in their hand, bring some value to physical fitness and nutrition and academics, and it's a win-win for the community.”

Default Re: Oklahoma City Tennis Center

They have broken ground on the new 6-court indoor facility:

16. Default Re: Oklahoma City Tennis Center

Before we get too excited, these things are just metal prefab structures. We're not getting something neat out of this, we're just getting some of the outdoor courts brought inside.

I played a few tournaments there when I played tennis in school. I may have a somewhat skewed perspective since I was a kid at the time, but the adults there were mostly old and were quite rude to EVERYONE. I'm actually a bit surprised that the place is doing as well as it is considering the way they treated people there. It was awesome to be able to play indoors, but don't get too carried away with dreams of a grandstand. The place would be empty 360 days of the year....not exactly efficient. The best Tennis event the city had was at OCU, and it didn't last long....although I did get to see it live there and was excited for it. I don't compare that to the Davis Cup since that travels...but we "owned" the OCU event as a local tourney.

Thread Information