Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lofts at Maywood Park

Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

but it would be nice to see more lofts in the upper floors of Bricktown and Midtown buildings.
    I agree. Maybe there are more offices than I realize, but there seems to be a lot of wasted real estate in bricktown. I'd think if Hogan can sell his new condos on the canal for good money, why can't they sell or rent some of these upper floors in the warehouse district? I have been amazed at how content many of the owners are to keep a lot of space empty.

2. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

Completely agree. I'd jump at a 500-700/month rental above one of the Auto Alley or Bricktown storefronts. I just talked to a friend who has a friend who plans to buy a building downtown and convert it to lofts in the next couple years. Hopefully we will see more and more of that.

3. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

I'm just curious. When people say, "I agree" is there any chance that someone would say "I disagree" to something like, I want to see more of *blank* in Bricktown and Midtown! ?

Just for the heck of it, I disagree. How dare you suggest something like true lofts in Midtown and Bricktown.

Just an update. Drove by Maywood Park tonight and it is really starting to come along. One of the brownstones has almost all of the brickwork done. Also on NW 4th as well as sidewalks and such in the area have been repaved with brick and new curbs.

Is the big empty field on the other side of the Maywood Brownstones going to be a park? I haven't seen any construction there and there are some sprinklers installed on it.

No. It will eventually be part of the Maywood townhomes and the Maywood Lofts, although there will be some dedicated greenspace.

See for yourself:

The Brownstones at Maywood Park

I've never really been able to figure that out either. As far as I could ever find, they don't have a layout on their website.

I've seen the platt. From 4th St to 3rd St., between the open space east of the untitled arts space to Walnut, there will be four rows of townhomes, backs facing each other, with a small parallel street between 3rd and 4th, kind of like a mews. It will be repeated between 3rd street and that mini street, but the backs of the townhomes that face north on the mini street will back up to the Maywood Lofts. When I say mini street they will be narrower than second and third, and I would guess be similar to some of the streets in Boston Back Bay. I hope that makes sense.

That's not quite correct however. There is land designated for business or retail along the Walnut frontage.

I'm kind of disappointed then. I was hoping there'd be some kind of park there. I think community parks in the middle of urban settings add a lot to the community.

10. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

There is a park, just not in the spot you described.

I went to The Brownstones last Sunday afternoon and parked on the street. The thing that would bother me the most is that I really don't want to make eye contact with drivers driving down the street while I'm sitting in my living room. The Houses are right on top of the street. Your front door is less than 10 feet from the public street. Imagine moving your house out to the street with only a 10 foot set back. No thanks. I don't get the appeal of this project at all. I guess I can walk to Bricktown, Anything else?

For the money, I can wait another year or so for real estate to bottom out and have a nice decked out mansion in Edmond with a real yard and landscaping, three car garage, etc. OR I can have a Condo with Harleys blasting down the street 10 feet from my front door. No brainer for me.

The only project that makes any sense to me is the Block 42 design. The only problem there is that Interstate Highway running through your backyard. They even show in their videos a semi passing by your kitchen window!!! What marketing genius did they pay for that? I guess I don't have "vision".

One other thing. The LAST thing that area needs is "affordable housing". Reminds me of public housing projects. Like everything in OKC, you can build almost anything anywhere. You have mansions in one block and crack houses on the next block. Even with all it's snobbery, Tulsa has OKC beat hounds down with it's residential set up. Oh yeah, I don't have vision. Or as our Mayor says "you don't get it".

Dustbowl, You sound really angry...do u need a hug?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbowl View Post
    I went to The Brownstones last Sunday afternoon and parked on the street. The thing that would bother me the most is that I really don't want to make eye contact with drivers driving down the street while I'm sitting in my living room. The Houses are right on top of the street. Your front door is less than 10 feet from the public street. Imagine moving your house out to the street with only a 10 foot set back. No thanks. I don't get the appeal of this project at all. I guess I can walk to Bricktown, Anything else?
    I lived in DC in an area that had rowhouses similar to the Browntstones...It really was never an issue being close to the street. At times it could get a bit noisy, but it wasn't a big deal. It gives more of an urban feel to your environment.

I went to The Brownstones last Sunday afternoon and parked on the street. The thing that would bother me the most is that I really don't want to make eye contact with drivers driving down the street while I'm sitting in my living room. The Houses are right on top of the street. Your front door is less than 10 feet from the public street. Imagine moving your house out to the street with only a 10 foot set back. No thanks. I don't get the appeal of this project at all. I guess I can walk to Bricktown, Anything else?".
    I think this is a perfect example of differences in people's tastes. I can see how some people might feel this way, but it really wouldn't bother me. One thing you don't know, since you've not been in them most likely, is that the bottom floor only has the entry and one bedroom which is not the master. The main living area of the townhouse is on the second floor, which would keep you away from the public eye. I would, of course, put good drapes on that first floor bedroom, but it's not the same as if your main living areas were on the first floor.

For the money, I can wait another year or so for real estate to bottom out and have a nice decked out mansion in Edmond with a real yard and landscaping, three car garage, etc. OR I can have a Condo with Harleys blasting down the street 10 feet from my front door. No brainer for me.
    It's hard to tell if real estate in OKC is going to bottom out. So far, it's not done so. But again, it's differences in taste. I've lived out in the country on 2 acres, and I lived on a city lot. I like change from time to time, so I can see the appeal of no land at this point in my life. As far as noise goes, one of the good thing about the Maywood Brownstones is that they're built of 8 inch poured concrete wall, with 3 inches of foam on both sides, so I'm guessing they're a lot more quiet than most townhouses.

The only project that makes any sense to me is the Block 42 design. The only problem there is that Interstate Highway running through your backyard. They even show in their videos a semi passing by your kitchen window!!! What marketing genius did they pay for that? I guess I don't have "vision".
    I like Block 42 too. I would have to agree that my marketing plan would not include a video of a semi. And you would be interested to know that apparently the townhouses that have not sold there are the ones with their backs to the highway on the east (so I've been told).

The LAST thing that area needs is "affordable housing". Reminds me of public housing projects.
    If the price/sq ft numbers quoted earlier are correct, I don't think you need to worry about it being 'public housing' or anything like it.

17. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

Your front door is less than 10 feet from the public street. Imagine moving your house out to the street with only a 10 foot set back. No thanks.
    Clearly urban living is not for you. That's fine. No one's forcing it down your throat.

And I don't know where the "affordable housing" reference came from. There are no "projects" being built downtown.

18. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm just curious. When people say, "I agree" is there any chance that someone would say "I disagree" to something like, I want to see more of *blank* in Bricktown and Midtown! ?
    I agree Spartan. There is a lot of "I agree" piling on, on this forum, not to mention, a butt load of uninformed opinions.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by ouguy23 View Post
    Dustbowl, You sound really angry...do u need a hug?!
    I'm not angry, just voicing an opinion. I simply don't see the appeal of the project. Go ahead and buy one, I could care less. That is, if you can qualify. No liar loans anymore and your credit score better be perfect.

From the looks of your name, I will pass on a hug. That's not my deal either. Thanks for the thought though, very sweet.

One other thing. The LAST thing that area needs is "affordable housing". Reminds me of public housing projects. Like everything in OKC, you can build almost anything anywhere. You have mansions in one block and crack houses on the next block. Even with all it's snobbery, Tulsa has OKC beat hounds down with it's residential set up. Oh yeah, I don't have vision. Or as our Mayor says "you don't get it".
    Mr. Anderson! Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post

Don't know a Mr. Anderson, but thanks for contributing to the discussion. Very constructive. A real man of genius.

22. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

Dustbowl, your points of contention with brownstones are funny. It is called urban living. Every complaint you have is what quantifies those properties as urban.

I drove by Edmond the other day. Every house has a lawn. What is up with that? I couldn't imagine sitting in my living room looking at grass and trees.

Point is... The Brownstones are designed for urban living. I am glad that you like the suburban lifestyle. There is no need to come on here and claim that the project doesn't make sense because of the location of the front door relative to the street. It makes perfect sense. That is how urban living structures are designed in every city on every continent of the world. So in your own words... I believe that you are the real man of genius.

23. Default Re: Phase II of Maywood Park -- Affordable Lofts!

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    wuz . . . do you think that dusty is the former mranderson? BTW, spring is just around the corner and drinking and thinking on the paseo will be returning soon. Hope to see you there.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Diversity is wonderful. And luckily, now, there is something for everyone. Those of us who are intrigued by urban living will finally have the chance to experience it. I've been a lawn lover in my life, but I'm moving on, ready for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by TStheThird View Post
    Dustbowl, your points of contention with brownstones are funny. It is called urban living. Every complaint you have is what quantifies those properties as urban.

I drove by Edmond the other day. Every house has a lawn. What is up with that? I couldn't imagine sitting in my living room looking at grass and trees.

Point is... The Brownstones are designed for urban living. I am glad that you like the suburban lifestyle. There is no need to come on here and claim that the project doesn't make sense because of the location of the front door relative to the street. It makes perfect sense. That is how urban living structures are designed in every city on every continent of the world. So in your own words... I believe that you are the real man of genius.
    I said the project makes no sense to me. My opinion. I don't see the appeal. You disagree, fine. So we have a difference of opinion. Happens every day. So why do you have the right to tell everyone how wonderful you think the project is, and I don't? Also your points about beautifully landscaped yards and gardens in Edmond are funny. It's called suburban living. You know, space, yards, gardens, privacy, etc.

See how silly your arguments are? When are you buying a $600k Brownstone? Or are waiting for the "affordable lofts"?

I did say that I thought the Block 42 project had the most appeal for me if I were interested in "Urban Living". That concept is nice except for the highway in the backyard. I also like the Classen Towers project. It's a shame they didn't sell. The views make up for smelling your neighbors dinner cooking when you go to your front door. Also the couple next door "hanging pictures" when you're trying to sleep.

Thread Information