Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Money for I-40 Crosstown???

Default Re: No Money for I-40 Crosstown???

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner&RiceGrad
    You mentione dearlier that "donor state" is irrelevant to us not having enough money for I 40, when actually it is the source of Oklahoma's budget woes. We give more than we recieve, and are yet the most Pro American/Conservative state in the union, and we get screwed. States like Alaska are screwing us, states like that should give more. Unfortunately, we have no jurisdiction over that, and THAT is what IS irrelevant.
    Alaska isn't screwing us nearly as bad as the U.N. and international community as far as being 'donatee states'. And yes, that is just as irrelevant to whether or not we need this project or the money for it.

If I had my way, we'd open it up as a toll road, but only charge the toll to vehicles with more than two axles. I'd use the toll money to retire the bond, then maintain the road. We should charge the people that are destroying our roads -- trucking companies.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Yes, good idea, except for the fact that our state has done very well to give the trucking industry a place to call home. Our city thrives on it's existance, more than others. Once Texas builds I 69, just to screw us, we will have to compete more vigorously to draw in the transportation industry, and once we lose them, a blue collar industry, we are a sad, sad place.

I 69 as I recall will require anyone that uses it to pay a toll. Correct me if I'm wrong.

All I'm saying is that we should charge the people a fee if they're going to cost us this much in road repairs. As much as ODOT spends on road maintenance, I wonder if we might not be better off in this state without the trucking industry?

4. Default Re: No Money for I-40 Crosstown???

Of the two major Trans-Texas Corridor projects, only the one paralleling I-35 has definitely been planned as a toll road, so far as I know. The I-69 project is not quite so far along yet.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

The Trans-Texas Corridor is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. People in Texas have the nerve to protest Houston's Grand Parkway and it is apparent the onlyt reason for this is to screw Native America. Also, if truckers have to pay toll in Texas and Kansas to get to Canada from Mexico one way, and just in Texas the other, which way will they go? Plus, this was goes to Toronto.

The Trans-Texas Corridor is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. People in Texas have the nerve to protest Houston's Grand Parkway and it is apparent the onlyt reason for this is to screw Native America. Also, if truckers have to pay toll in Texas and Kansas to get to Canada from Mexico one way, and just in Texas the other, which way will they go? Plus, this was goes to Toronto.
    Elaborate please.

To screw the Native Americans?

Would never happen in this state, they seem to have a firm grip on the ruling party, at least for now.

Patrick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    Also, see: www.saveunionstation.org

This project will destroy the historic 1930 Oklahoma City Union Station which was the primary terminal used by rail travelers coming in and out of OKC.
    Midtowner, the new Crosstown will only destroy the railyard, not Union Station itself. The highway will go just south of the Union Station building.

The railyard is worth millions though, and Dallas has already told us that losing the railyard will forever hinder our chances of bringing commuter rail to our city in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick
    Midtowner, the new Crosstown will only destroy the railyard, not Union Station itself. The highway will go just south of the Union Station building.

The railyard is worth millions though, and Dallas has already told us that losing the railyard will forever hinder our chances of bringing commuter rail to our city in the future.
    So maybe the crosstown not getting the money needed isn't such a bad thing after all? The land south of the river isn't exactly high-dollar. I don't see why they have to go through the rail yard to do this.

Even though the Oklahoma Independent Media website posts some innane stuff (usually), reading through it, I think they have some real points. The highway lobby has *really* been a driving influence in this state. I know -- my father was once general counsel for the Highway Department

Patrick Guest

Now you're starting to see Tom Elmore's view points! I'm glad you checked out his site! He's tried to fight this with tons of resources...unfortunately, looks like nothing is going to change.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    Elaborate please.

To screw the Native Americans?

Would never happen in this state, they seem to have a firm grip on the ruling party, at least for now.
    Our states second most popular nickname is Native America, not America et all.

Our states second most popular nickname is Native America, not America et all.

I'd rather just be "Oklahoma, O.K."

Much less corruption that way.

Sooner&RiceGrad Guest

Good one. Th ereason I say the trans corridor is idiotic is b/c the rural highway's are bigger than most of OKC's urban freeways! Constant 10 lanes!!! A waste of tax money, but hey I don't live in Texas, and I don't have a good opinion of them anyway.

Thread Information