Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tulsa trip suggestions

Default Re: Tulsa trip suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    In terms of bbq, there is an Oklahoma Joe's if you liked the KC location (now Kansas City Joes)
    I liked Oklahoma joes , only had it once but it was decent... They had burnt ends...m'mm

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I'll also add that the Race Riots have started being taught in schools in the last 10-20 years much more in part because the events have been added to textbooks. So, you may also see a generational shift too.
    maybe. we all graduated around 1998-2000. and I took ok history in 9th grade in 1995. I don't remember it being taught in school. just hearing it in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Also on the way up or on the way back stop by sweetie pies in Sand Springs... The bread they make their sandwiches with is some of the best around, and lots of sweets to try....

Home Page
    this was intriguing to me because I am always up for sweets and the family and I go to Tulsa to visit the wife's brother fairly frequently. so I looked into this place and they are only open from 7a-4p. that takes me out completely. you would think being open on the weekend when people might go up for the weekend would be smart. I can't think of when I'll ever be going that way during those times. 

on edit
    Google showed those hours.
    zomato had a picture of the menu stating 7-4 tues-sat
    may just stop ☺

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    this was intriguing to me because I am always up for sweets and the family and I go to Tulsa to visit the wife's brother fairly frequently. so I looked into this place and they are only open from 7a-4p. that takes me out completely. you would think being open on the weekend when people might go up for the weekend would be smart. I can't think of when I'll ever be going that way during those times. 

on edit
    Google showed those hours.
    zomato had a picture of the menu stating 7-4 tues-sat
    may just stop ☺
    It's well worth it, and I'm almost positive she is open on Saturday, the bread is phonomenal.... Really everything is though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    maybe. we all graduated around 1998-2000. and I took ok history in 9th grade in 1995. I don't remember it being taught in school. just hearing it in the news.
    It was taught when I was in school and I graduated in 1987. But I went to Booker T Washington High School which was part of the riot. A previous building for the school was the only building spared in black Tulsa and John Hope Franklin who himself was a survivor when he was a small child went to Booker T as probably the schools most distinguished graduate. The race riot memorial is named for Franklin, who won the Presidential Medal of Freedom as one of the America's greatest black scholars and historians teaching at the University of Chicago, Cambridge and Duke University and writing a number of very important books including his seminal work, From Slavery to Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    I liked Oklahoma joes , only had it once but it was decent... They had burnt ends...m'mm
    I wish more places in OKC would do burnt ends...

Brownwood Guest

It's a little out of the way, but White River Fish Market is a great place for lunch. It's been there for nearly 80 years and offers fresh fish and seafood cooked to order. Their pies are also fantastic. Not much to look at, but very busy and well visited each day. I think it;s the best fish place in the state.

White River Fish Market and Restaurant of Tulsa, Oklahoma

Burn Co is solid for BBQ as well. Almost always has a line out the door when I go there.

9. Default Re: Tulsa trip suggestions

Two Brookside recommendations:

If you like Cheever's, the Brook is pretty good food, located inside a cool old theater building. You can park right behind it for free.

The coffee shop across the street is one of the few in Oklahoma that boast a solid frozen lineup, which is odd for such a hot state where I'm always dying for something cold. They often have good live music, too. Shades of Brown is its name? I think.

One hidden Tulsa recommendation:

The Circle Cinema is the best cinema operation in the entire state. Check it out. The surrounding Kendall Whittier hood has potential, too.

Blog Entries

Discover Oklahoma (OETA/KETA Oklahoma City) did a short feature on Decopolis (Corner: 6th & Boston is a fascinating gift shop. Put it on your list of 'must see' when you're in Tulsa.

Decopolis owner, William Franklin

Thread Information