Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 U.S. Senior Open (Edmond)

Default Re: 2014 U.S. Senior Open (Edmond)

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I'm not trying to downplay this event at all and I'm thrilled that it's here but it's just not that big nationally. It takes several clicks to even find any information about it at all at ESPN.COM.
    Agree. It's nice that it is here, but, it's not even a minor blip on the radar screen for 99% of the people of this city and state.

It's cool to have this but I couldn't help but laugh at the Lost Ogle's line:

"Nothing more exciting than old guys playing golf in Edmond."

3. Default Re: 2014 U.S. Senior Open (Edmond)

Truthfully the most exciting thing about this tournament is that it is a required step for getting into the rotation for events on the regular tour or a regular U.S. Open. By all accounts so far the course and the community have proven their capability and then some. Oak Tree National is truly a world-class course (and for once "world-class" actually MEANS world-class), but it has spent a couple of decades in the wilderness due to financial challenges. It belongs in the regular rotation for majors, and this tournament helps restore it to that level.

Oak Tree hosted the PGA in 1988 and was scheduled to have it again in 1994, but bankruptcy forced a move to Southern Hills in Tulsa.

New ownership, lots of improvements and new ambitions mean that a regular tour event could return.

5. Default Re: 2014 U.S. Senior Open (Edmond)

I will say this though, that was some serious white people stuff up there. I'm awfully Caucasian and I felt more than a little bit out of place. Even the people of color up there seemed whiter than me. It was fun to visit for a day, but glad to be back downtown keepin' it real this morning.

6. Default Re: 2014 U.S. Senior Open (Edmond)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Oak Tree hosted the PGA in 1988 and was scheduled to have it again in 1994, but bankruptcy forced a move to Southern Hills in Tulsa...
    The financial challenges and subsequent couple of decades in the wilderness of which I spoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I will say this though, that was some serious white people stuff up there. I'm awfully Caucasian and I felt more than a little bit out of place. Even the people of color up there seemed whiter than me. It was fun to visit for a day, but glad to be back downtown keepin' it real this morning.
    When I come to OKC, I always stay with my good friend who lives on the course at Oak Tree.

It's a different world up there, that's for sure.

One year I was in town over Halloween and a good number of the families were trick-or-treating in golf carts, many with covers and heaters.

And more than once I've seen someone driving a golf cart down the street with a dog on a leash running along beside.

Sometimes, it seems more like contrived irony than reality.

As a kid I had some good friends that lived in Oak Tree so I would do Halloween every year and it was exactly as Pete described grew even more extravagant. I remember a particular house that would give away the little 6 pack of mini soft drinks for every kid and another that would give away whole bags of candy as there thing... it always just blew my mind. Speaking of the tournament I was there yesterday for most the day and the course looked great. Everything seemed to be running very smoothly and I thought it was great Oak Tree did a special that because of the heat for every water you bought that bought one for you. And the price for one was only 2.50, so in reality you were getting 2 for that price and it didn't feel like such the rip off as every other sporting event. Heck, I was in Cincinnati and St. Louis for baseball games just this past weekend and their bottles of water were 4.75 each and it was 90+ there both games. Just kinda cool IMO for them to throw profit margins out the window for peoples safety. And I think the course being in great shape and being world class is helping promote its name even more, when the players coming off the course talk about how challenging it was and that is should be a regular tour spot for the PGA it can only mean that people higher up are feeling the same way. It would be a great thing for our city to get the year in and out tournament, I would just hope that would have it earlier in golf year that way that could avoid some of this heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Oak Tree hosted the PGA in 1988 and was scheduled to have it again in 1994, but bankruptcy forced a move to Southern Hills in Tulsa.

New ownership, lots of improvements and new ambitions mean that a regular tour event could return.
    They really aren't interested in hosting a regular tour event.

Oak Tree National aiming to host U.S. Open, PGA Championship | News OK

Among other types of events Oak Tree National would be interested in pursuing include international team competitions, like the Ryder Cup and Curtis Cup, or major championships on the LPGA and Champions tours. Top amateur events like the U.S Amateur or Walker Cup are also on the radar.

Still, an event like the U.S. Open would be the top prize.

“We will not go in the direction of hosting an annual PGA Tour event,” Dobson said.

10. Default Re: 2014 U.S. Senior Open (Edmond)

Although it as hot as he'll it was a great tourney and glad Monty got the win, even though I was pulling for a Gene.

The big winner was the course though. Only four players finished in red figures. With the success of the 140,000 fans who came and the hospitality and corporate support, the possibility of future events look promising.

U.S. Senior Open notebook: Oak Tree National wins the week | News OK

The future of big events at Oak Tree National: When could the course get another major event? | News OK

Thread Information