Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

you would think if he truly had a Michelin Star that he would list that in his home chef profile

https://www.takeachef.com/en-us/chef/king-dey

seem more likely he just worked in a restaurant that had/has a Michelin star ..

2. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    you would think if he truly had a Michelin Star that he would list that in his home chef profile

Which in and of itself is probably worth telling people about. But hanging your hat on it in this way (if it’s even true) reads like disingenuous hype intended to pull the wool over the eyes of dumb okies. If lots of people on this board know that there’s no such thing as a Michelin starred chef, you can GUARANTEE that every true chef knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Which in and of itself is probably worth telling people about. But hanging your hat on it in this way (if it’s even true) reads like disingenuous hype intended to pull the wool over the eyes of dumb okies. If lots of people on this board know that there’s no such thing as a Michelin starred chef, you can GUARANTEE that every true chef knows.
    no doubt .. if you take a look at his experience .. https://www.kailegacywest.com/team

he is clearly very qualified and a very talented chef .. and i am excited for this concept ..

Unfortunately for this restaurant just 10 feet away The Citizen is under heavy construction and will be for another year.

Lying about your credentials in a press release doesn't sound like a good start...

I noticed a local "food blogger" giving this spot 'pub for having a "Michelin-starred chef." The person should know better than to do that. Geez.

7. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

In fairness the guy really does look to be an elite chef.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    In fairness the guy really does look to be an elite chef.
    All the more reason not to BS your patrons...

9. Default Re: JK by Chef King (formerly Blue’s BBQ)

As I said up thread.... There are no Michelin stars given to chefs. They are only given to restaurants.

So yes it would be more likely he worked in a Michelin star restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    As I said up thread.... There are no Michelin stars given to chefs. They are only given to restaurants.

So yes it would be more likely he worked in a Michelin star restaurant.
    Shhh, your facts are useless here. The masses here have already lambasted him for lying about it!

And yes, "Michelin-starred chef" is 100% technically incorrect. He was a chef at a restaurant with a Michelin star. But is it not that he is lying, in any way. Just a matter of phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    He was a chef at a restaurant with a Michelin star.
    What restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    What restaurant?
    https://jkrestaurants.com/about/

I do not know. This webpage shows "Michelin trained." So I assume he worked at a Michelin star restaurant. It never says Michelin starred chef. So I do not know what all restaurants he has worked at. I plead ignorance on that part.

This whole thing goes back to a slight phrasing oversight in the press release. No chef has a michelin star. Gordon Ramsey, Yamamoto, etc. They were incorrect in saying "Michelin-starred" chef. But he worked at a Michelin star restaurant. there are hundreds of them.

Okay, so we don't actually know that he was a chef at a restaurant with a Michelin star.

Okay, so we don't actually know that he was a chef at a restaurant with a Michelin star.
    Or ou can go ahead and assume he is just flat our lying. Got it. Because Oklahoma can't have nice things.

He worked for 2 years at Gordon Ramsey restaurants as a sous chef, where he was trained. Ramsey has like, double digit Michelin stars. So he was a "Michelin-trained" chef. There. If that freaking press release said Michelin trained chef, we wouldn't be here debating semantics.

Yes, I assume he's lying.

Is there a reason you're so intent on defending this person? A little odd to make such assertive statements about what this chef's credentials are.

I have no issues with the presser saying “Michelin starred-chef.” It’s really not that important to me to be a Michelin starred restaurant.

However, I am having some difficulty with the description of his restaurant, “authentic Asian cuisine served in a contemporary style.” Feels like a contradictory description. Very curious to see his menu and looking forward to trying this place.

Yes, I assume he's lying.

Is there a reason you're so intent on defending this person? A little odd to make such assertive statements about what this chef's credentials are.
    Seeing as he trained with Gordon Ramsay Holdings, it's pretty spot on to say he is Michelin trained. Gordon Ramsay has 7 current stars and 17 over his career. You may not like the wording, but "assume he's lying" is a pretty bad look. But this is OKCTalk and unfortunately we have a big issue being excited for something coming to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    Seeing as he trained with Gordon Ramsay Holdings, it's pretty spot on to say he is Michelin trained. Gordon Ramsay has 7 current stars and 17 over his career. You may not like the wording, but "assume he's lying" is a pretty bad look. But this is OKCTalk and unfortunately we have a big issue being excited for something coming to the city.
    but that is not what he said ...

that wording would be fine ... saying worked in "michelin star kitchens " would be fine ... also not what he said ..

but that is not what he said ...

that wording would be fine ... saying worked in "michelin star kitchens " would be fine ... also not what he said ..
    It is bad phrasing by the press release. No more, no less. A slip up, that didn't need to be dissected for 20 posts, or end up with them being called liars.

While Michelin stars are given to the restaurant, it is given to them on-behalf of the Chef. The restaurant decore, style, price, location, etc have nothing to do with it. It is 100% from what is on the plate. If the Chef leaves the restaurant gets reevaluated. From the Michelin star guide.

A Michelin Star is awarded to restaurants offering outstanding cooking. We take into account five universal criteria: the quality of the ingredients, the harmony of flavours, the mastery of techniques, the personality of the chef as expressed through their cuisine and, just as importantly, consistency both across the entire menu and over time.

Is the decoration/style of restaurant a factor in awarding a Star?
    No. A Michelin Star is awarded for the food on the plate – nothing else. The style of a restaurant and its degree of formality or informality have no bearing whatsoever on the award.

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/art...-michelin-star

I'm working with these guys, the restaurant is looking really sharp and Chef King Dey and Josh Balan are trying very hard to bring something to OKC that is unique and I'm sure delicious. The interior decor is very fun and classy, can't wait for people to see it. Chef King has been a part of some great restaurant groups including the Lombardi group down in Dallas, Josh has ran some nice places in the UK. I hope the narrative starts to change a bit as the way I see it, 2 non OKC restauranteurs have taken quite an affinity for the OKC market and chose to move here to open up this concept and hopefully others to come because they believe it is the best place to be successful right now. With all the momentum, the James Beard awards, JK by Chef King should be another great step forward in our culinary space for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I have no issues with the presser saying “Michelin starred-chef.” It’s really not that important to me to be a Michelin starred restaurant.

However, I am having some difficulty with the description of his restaurant, “authentic Asian cuisine served in a contemporary style.” Feels like a contradictory description. Very curious to see his menu and looking forward to trying this place.
    Their website says it's EUROPEAN cuisine:

https://jkrestaurants.com/about/

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    While Michelin stars are given to the restaurant, it is given to them on-behalf of the Chef. The restaurant decore, style, price, location, etc have nothing to do with it. It is 100% from what is on the plate. From the Michelin star guide.

A Michelin Star is awarded to restaurants offering outstanding cooking. We take into account five universal criteria: the quality of the ingredients, the harmony of flavours, the mastery of techniques, the personality of the chef as expressed through their cuisine and, just as importantly, consistency both across the entire menu and over time.

Is the decoration/style of restaurant a factor in awarding a Star?
    No. A Michelin Star is awarded for the food on the plate – nothing else. The style of a restaurant and its degree of formality or informality have no bearing whatsoever on the award.

https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/art...-michelin-star
    While Michelin may list those as the only requirements. I promise you that they take into consideration the service and ambiance. The food has an absolutely massive weight to the overall rating. The ability of the service staff to execute service for each individual guest is a huge factor in moving from one star restaurant to two and three. I have been fortunate enough in my life to be able to dine at dozens of Michelin starred restaurants including a lot of the most prominent spots in the US like Alinea, Per Se, The French Laundry, Le Benardin, Quince, EMP, and Masa. I am absolutely not an authority on the topic, but in my subjective experience Michelin starred properties consider service to be almost as important as the food coming out of the kitchen. Talking to Will Guidara of EMP about a year and a half ago and he 100% believes in the power of hospitality in pushing a restaurant to the next level.

These guys trying to present themselves as "Michelin trained chefs" is bull****. A ton of our local community of culinarians have both stage'd and worked at Michelin properties, and none of them are dumb enough to try and claim a pedigree. I will not be surprised if these guys go to zero. They are trying to represent themselves as more qualified than they are, so they are going to have a steep hill to climb to prove they aren't **** to the hospitality community of OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    While Michelin may list those as the only requirements. I promise you that they take into consideration the service and ambiance. The food has an absolutely massive weight to the overall rating. The ability of the service staff to execute service for each individual guest is a huge factor in moving from one star restaurant to two and three. I have been fortunate enough in my life to be able to dine at dozens of Michelin starred restaurants including a lot of the most prominent spots in the US like Alinea, Per Se, The French Laundry, Le Benardin, Quince, EMP, and Masa. I am absolutely not an authority on the topic, but in my experience Michelin starred properties consider service to be almost as important as the food coming out of the kitchen.
    A chef of that caliber probably isn't going to work in a shabby restaurant but my comment was directed at the whole debate around the phrase Michelin starred chef. Tom Brady never won a Super Bowl. He played on a team that won the Super Bowl. Super Bowl victories are awarded to the team. Anyone want to argue that Tom Brady isn't a Super Bowl winner?

If the food and atmosphere are great, no one will care about this controversy in the future. However, it's a bad PR move to start.

Thread Information