Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

Default Re: OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Maybe, but a thinner herd shouldn't be our goal. We should want a better herd. Sadly, it does seem if a significant portion of our poplation might be beyond saving, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
    It's hard to watch the local news, every lead in is another shooting. It's usually in some run down apartments. Not sure what the answer is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhawg View Post
    Is that about the housing project in St Louis?
    Yes, but only in the most narrow of senses. The Pruitt Igoe housing project was just the vehicle used to deliver a much broader message. If all anyone gets out of watching it is some info on a failed housing project in St Louis then they missed the entire message and should probably watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    As the city grows in population you will have an increase in number of crimes. As long as the percentage stays neutral, there's not a problem.
    This is a lazy response to a big issue. In 2010 (when we had 60 homicides total), our murder rate based on FBI UCR reporting was 9.4 per 100,000 people. Sacramento, with a very similar population was 0.04 per 100,000. El Paso, with a higher population than hours, was 0.08 per 100,000.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    This is a lazy response to a big issue. In 2010 (when we had 60 homicides total), our murder rate based on FBI UCR reporting was 9.4 per 100,000 people. Sacramento, with a very similar population was 0.04 per 100,000. El Paso, with a higher population than hours, was 0.08 per 100,000.
    Sacramento is only 94 sq miles. If you took all of the police resources of OKC and condensed it into 97 sq mile the crime rate in OKC would be close to 0.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your point, but where did you get those numbers? A homicide rate of less than 0.5 per 100K is pretty much unheard of in cities over 250K.

Looking at Sacramento's homicide numbers here, they had about 33 murders in 2010, which would give them a homicide rate of around 7.1 per 100,000 based on their 2010 population.

El Paso had 5 murders in 2010 and has a homicide rate around 0.7 per 100K. That's about as low as you get for any city of size. You do have to wonder however how many folks over there hop over the border to do their "business"though

As the city grows in population you will have an increase in number of crimes. As long as the percentage stays neutral, there's not a problem.
    I understand what you're saying but one homicide is a problem. With that said, I don't think there has been any kind of cultural change in OKC or any other significant trend that has contributed to a rise in homicides.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I understand what you're saying but one homicide is a problem. With that said, I don't think there has been any kind of cultural change in OKC or any other significant trend that has contributed to a rise in homicides.
    I agree every loss of life is a problem. I meant, there's not a new growing "problem". Nothing is "out of control" if the percentage is the same. There is always room for improvement though.

I agree every loss of life is a problem. I meant, there's not a new growing "problem". Nothing is "out of control" if the percentage is the same. There is always room for improvement though.
    That's the issue; the percentage isn't the same. Population growth from 2010 to 2010 was estimated at about 2%. The homicide total is already up 13% over the 2010 and 2011 numbers, and we have over 3 months left in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Not that I'm disagreeing with your point, but where did you get those numbers? A homicide rate of less than 0.5 per 100K is pretty much unheard of in cities over 250K.

Looking at Sacramento's homicide numbers here, they had about 33 murders in 2010, which would give them a homicide rate of around 7.1 per 100,000 based on their 2010 population.

El Paso had 5 murders in 2010 and has a homicide rate around 0.7 per 100K. That's about as low as you get for any city of size. You do have to wonder however how many folks over there hop over the border to do their "business"though
    I hate myself for it, but I quickly used Wikipedia for that, which referenced the FBI reporting site: FBI — Table 8

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I have been saying all along that we're seeing an incredible spike in violent crime in OKC. I am very worried about my grandparents who still live in Capitol Hill.
    What do you think is causing the increase?

Homicide #69 was listed in a press release today. City of Oklahoma City - Notification Information

I hate myself for it, but I quickly used Wikipedia for that, which referenced the FBI reporting site: FBI — Table 8
    No problem, just thought those numbers were a bit low. Your point still is valid. I don't know much about El Paso, but Sacramento has never been regarded as a particularly safe city and for us to have a higher homicide rate than them is pretty concerning.

What do you think is causing the increase?
    That is a really hard question to answer. It could be everything from economic stresses to the warm weather we have experienced all year. To echo what's been said on here, there really seems to be some issues on the SW side.

Crime, while still historically low, is ticking up nationwide. NYC, Philadelphia, and Houston are all up. Chicago now has a higher murder rate than Mexico City and Sao Paulo.

IMO the deep municipal budget cuts that many cities experienced starting in 2008 are now starting to show up in creeping crime rates.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    IMO the deep municipal budget cuts that many cities experienced starting in 2008 are now starting to show up in creeping crime rates.
    I definitely think you are on to something. I'm not for hiring cops just to hire cops, but we may have tested the bottom limit of what technology could do for increasing effectiveness and it may be time to start increasing municipal budgets to allow for more service. That may help with gang-related crimes...

However, a big concern for me is the number of murder-suicides and child abuse deaths. Many of those require social prevention. It's nigh impossible for a cop to stop those when they generally occur within a home.

duplicate

I wonder how many murders in OKC involved no previous interaction between the killer and the killed. To me, that would be a true indicator of how safe or unsafe an area is because generally I can choose who I associate with. As has been pointed out, my wife could kill me in my sleep, but that generally does not cause an unsafe condition for our neigbors (although it might hurt property values as my wife can't mow the lawn very well).

If your wife just read that post, I could see her murdering you in your sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    If your wife just read that post, I could see her murdering you in your sleep.
    She already knows she can't mow the lawn. I exist for 3 reasons 1) kill bugs, 2) mow the lawn, 3) drive the car (note - I don't get to pick the route, speed, lane, or how far I am from the car in front of us )

I wonder if the count of aggravated assaults is up in OKC this year as well? It's a fine line between an assault and a murder. All it takes is a well-placed bullet to a vital organ to make the difference between life or death.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    She already knows she can't mow the lawn. I exist for 3 reasons 1) kill bugs, 2) mow the lawn, 3) drive the car (note - I don't get to pick the route, speed, lane, or how far I am from the car in front of us )
    So, if we were to pitch in, hire her a gardener/driver, and throw in a case of bug spray, the world might just chalk it up as a big coincidence if you suddenly stopped posting?

I definitely think you are on to something. I'm not for hiring cops just to hire cops, but we may have tested the bottom limit of what technology could do for increasing effectiveness and it may be time to start increasing municipal budgets to allow for more service. That may help with gang-related crimes...

However, a big concern for me is the number of murder-suicides and child abuse deaths. Many of those require social prevention. It's nigh impossible for a cop to stop those when they generally occur within a home.
    OKC Council eyes larger police force after budget adjustment | The Journal Record

Homicide #70 last night (Tuesday the 25th).

22. Default Re: OKC has already exceeded homicide total from 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    I'd be interested to see the breakdown in the homicides in the city this year. Were they violence against innocent people or domestic incidents?

Given the state of gun laws in this state, how much can the police do when two idiots want to go argue and off themselves in a Target parking lot?

The maddening nature about crimes like these, is sometimes they just happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiHikari View Post
    I was there when it happened. Everyone is saying it was road rage. The victim pulled a knife then the suspect pulled a gun and shot. Scary stuff.

proving once again it is better to have a gun at a knife fight than to have a knife at a gun fight.

Thread Information