Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nic's Grill

Default Re: Nic's

yes.. that may have been the problem. I'll give it another try then because I would really like to experience a good old-time cheeseburger. Thanks.

This sounds like a great place. I'll have to try it soon.

What about their fries? What are they like? I really can't have a hamburger without some good french fries.

3. Default Re: Nic's

Fresh cut curly fries!

I've driven by this place and always wanted to stop but never have. I have driven by in the morning a few times and seen the closed sign showing yet people eating inside.
    This place sounds like Sid's Diner in El Reno, has anyone been to both that can compare?

5. Default Re: Nic's

I've been to both. Sid's is quite abit larger inside (though still a small place). Both have great burgers. I think Nic's are bigger though. Don't know if Marty is still the grill master at Sid's - but if so, you gotta stop in if passing through.

Well, I've now been to both as well. I had Nic's for lunch. Definitely worth it. I wouldn't want to eat in there since I don't desire to smell like an onion burger all day, so I called in my order. Large portions. I had a cheeseburger and fries for $6.50. When I got home with it, I thought it was a double cheeseburger, but then I remembered reading a few posts back that he doesn't do doubles AND that he doesn't smash down the patties. The burger was very generous size and the curly fries were perfect (just a little on the greasy side though). It very may well be the best onion burger I've ever had, at least the best I've had in a long time. I think the not smashing the burgers and leaving the burger moist makes all the difference in the world. Also, the mayo was fantastic and tasted a little different than most as well as the cheese tasted like real american cheese and not that fake oily kind like most places use. Will definitely be back soon. The place was surprisingly clean inside. Much cleaner than it looks on the outside and more than I was expecting.

Sid's is good as well, but different style. It's been years since I've been to the one in Yukon or El Reno, but I agree with BailJumper in that it's much bigger than Nic's (both the store and the burgers).

Best burgers in town by far.. I make it a point of eating there once a week. If you are going to try it for lunch, I recommend getting there early, 11-11:15ish if you don't want to risk standing around and waiting for a seat.

And by all means, try jalepeno on your burger next time. He cuts them up fresh and throws them on the grill - much better than the pickled ones you get from most restaurants.

One of these days I'm going to have to make it in there for breakfast.

8. Default Re: Nic's

Does he do burgers without onion?

9. Default Re: Nic's

Does he do burgers without onion?
    Any way you want'em.

10. Default Re: Nic's

Well, thought I'd stop in for breakfast this morning around 9:15. It was closed.

11. Default Re: Nic's

Holiday week he may have closed. Also, many mornings the sign reads "closed" but he is actually open.

Probably closed for Thanksgiving weekend. A lot of small family owned places do that.
    Too bad....would have been a good day to try it as I am off!

Nic's is featured in the latest issue of OKLAHOMA TODAY
    (Jan/Feb 2009)

Great write-up!

Pretty good considering Oklahoma Today is more of a Tulsa magazine.

I think you're thinking of Oklahoma Magazine. OK Today is OKC-based.

16. Default Re: Nic's

Correct. Oklahoma Today is the official state magazine and covers all quadrants well.

Oklahoma Magazine is Tulsa based and has gotten better in recent months about including OKC-related articles, but the advertisers are all in Tulsa.

Thanks for clarifying, although both have had more Tulsa area related content from my observation in issues I've read.

Default Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

I haven't been to Nic's for a burger yet, but plan to go soon.

Does anybody have any recommendations on when to go? I'm sure it's always busy, but is it less busy at certain times?

Thanks!
    Cindie

Default Re: Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

Your best chance is to go at 10:30 and get in line. It can be a long wait on a hot day if you show up after 11 am.

Thanks, Earl!

I'll be sure to get there early so I won't have to wait too long in this heat.

Can't wait!

Pretty much what he said, any time before 11 am and you should be ok.

22. Default Re: Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

what about breakfast? Is there a good time?

About anytime is good for breakfast. The earlier the better though. He changed recently and now stops breakfast at 10am.

24. Default Re: Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

I've eaten breakfast there many times and there is never a problem getting in and getting a table or seat at the bar. Tip: Ignore the 'Closed' sign, it often doesn't get turned around until lunch time. If you have breakfast, I recommend the omelette if you're really hungry.

As for lunch, most days you do have to get there by 11am and plan to wait. If you're going by yourself you can usually get a seat faster. If you have a group, don't plan on sitting together.

Personally, when I go for lunch I wait and take a late lunch and go after 1pm. Even then it can be very busy. Otherwise, I skip breakfast all together and go eat at Nic's at 10:45am.

Love the fact he now allows sharing of food (for a small charge). I personally love sharing meals with my wife as its cheaper and helps me keep the weight off. He used to not allow this.

Also, don't think you can call in a togo order to avoid the lunch rush. Often times Nic will take the phone off the hook at lunch.

25. Default Re: Want to go to Nic's...any tips?

Sounds like the Burger Nazi. I'll have to go sometime. Too bad it's in north OKC and I work in Norman..he's not open on weekends is he?

Thread Information