Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dirtwork on I-40 & Cornwell - SW corner of NW 10th & Cornwell

Default Re: Dirtwork on I-40 & Cornwell - SW corner of NW 10th & Cornwell

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I was at the Petsmart in Yukon last night and they have put up a dirt barrier around the empty lot between the Petsmart and the Hospital. Forgot to ask Petsmart folk what was going in.
    I think this is where Hobby Lobby is going ?

That's what I heard would be going there.

Thanks for posting this, Dubya. I too was at Petsmart last night, and didn't even notice!

Ok so the dirt has been filled in really good on this spot. They are still working on it, and now have measuring stakes out there. Anyone know for sure nothing is going in here. ODOT had it for sale, and the only thing I can think of is that maybe it was purchased with part of the contract be to fill it in with dirt from the I-40 project. That land did need to be built up to build anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    Ok so the dirt has been filled in really good on this spot. They are still working on it, and now have measuring stakes out there. Anyone know for sure nothing is going in here. ODOT had it for sale, and the only thing I can think of is that maybe it was purchased with part of the contract be to fill it in with dirt from the I-40 project. That land did need to be built up to build anything there.
    I thought the same thing this morning. I know ODOT was attempting to sell the land and perhaps that happened finally (the for sale signs are down).

Quote Originally Posted by Paule4ou View Post
    I thought the same thing this morning. I know ODOT was attempting to sell the land and perhaps that happened finally (the for sale signs are down).
    I'm not good at finding this stuff out. I think this might be OKC land, I wonder if Pete might be able to check?

Any update on this?

This is kind of off topic but I hear there are plans to build a new interchange on the west side of Yukon at I-40 and Frisco Road, and also shopping centers and related development there.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    This is kind of off topic but I hear there are plans to build a new interchange on the west side of Yukon at I-40 and Frisco Road, and also shopping centers and related development there.
    Frisco Rd Economic Dev Project Plan - City of Yukon

Yukon is starting to look a little out of control with it's development. I mean I like that we're doing so well in the state, but it kinda feels like another Edmond master plan =\

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    Yukon is starting to look a little out of control with it's development. I mean I like that we're doing so well in the state, but it kinda feels like another Edmond master plan =\
    Maybe, but not everyone in OKC metro wants to live in OKC. I live in OKC but plan on moving to either Yukon or Mustang. Something I'd like to see Yukon do is some downtown beautification though. As long as OKC metro grows, many of suburban towns will continue to grow.

Don't worry, I'm not an anti-suburban downtown elitest by any means, I've been in Yukon most of my life and am happy with the development, but not the layout. I say this because Edmond is by far the worst drive in OKC. You have similar developments spread thin in all corners of the city, a giant 40 mph highway with a stoplight every 200 yards.

Count the existing development south of I-40, the new one proposed behind the hospital, Frisco, Stone Mill, and I think I also saw on their website that there is a proposed development on 39th street. Lots of options but sounds like commuter hell.

Don't worry, I'm not an anti-suburban downtown elitest by any means, I've been in Yukon most of my life and am happy with the development, but not the layout. I say this because Edmond is by far the worst drive in OKC. You have similar developments spread thin in all corners of the city, a giant 40 mph highway with a stoplight every 200 yards.

Count the existing development south of I-40, the new one proposed behind the hospital, Frisco, Stone Mill, and I think I also saw on their website that there is a proposed development on 39th street. Lots of options but sounds like commuter hell.
    Broadway is not a highway, it's a road.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Broadway is not a highway, it's a road.
    It is a highway. State Highway 77.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It is a highway. State Highway 77.
    get technical all you want... it isn't a highway in the sense it was being described as.

get technical all you want... it isn't a highway in the sense it was being described as.
    Until 2nd, it is functionally designed far more like a highway (which it is) than a street

Highway or not, Broadway is the worst way to drive 3 miles, not to mention making any kind of left turn. I hope that Yukon would take advantage of the space available and create dense developments. I personally don't get why they would throw a random development on I-40 and cornwell when there is a huge empty field right behind the new Domino gas station and close to the other stores/restaurants.

Highway or not, Broadway is the worst way to drive 3 miles, not to mention making any kind of left turn. I hope that Yukon would take advantage of the space available and create dense developments. I personally don't get why they would throw a random development on I-40 and cornwell when there is a huge empty field right behind the new Domino gas station and close to the other stores/restaurants.
    South of 10th St, where the Domino gas station sits, is where OKC starts.

I live well south of that area and I have a Yukon address. And if that is the case than the I-40 and Czech Hall spot is also OKC, which I'm sure it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Until 2nd, it is functionally designed far more like a highway (which it is) than a street
    I did not mean to turn this into a debate. I fully understand what you and Catch22 are saying, I get it. It is a state highway.... I also believe Lincoln and Shields are state highways... cool story, right?

This is not a highway to me

this is

by all means... stay technical and there is nothing wrong with that. I was responding to to this line
    giant 40 mph highway
    from MikeM which sounded to me like he was reffering Broadway to a highway like I-40, I-44, Kilpatrick, I-35, I-240, I-235 etc..... You understand?

To Mike, if that wasn't what you were getting at, then my bad I misunderstood.

I live well south of that area and I have a Yukon address. And if that is the case than the I-40 and Czech Hall spot is also OKC, which I'm sure it's not.
    No part of Yukon city limits are south of 10th street, Yukon mailing address extend south of the city limits (possibly other directions I just am not as familiar with the other borders). I live just south of NW 10th street between Czech Hall and Mustang Road, I have a Yukon mailing address, Yukon Schools, am in OKC limits & with OKC utilities.

I completely agree with you.

I have my opinions on what should be done with Broadway, hell, I even made a rendering from Infrastructure Modeler Design Suite from Autocad, but I guarantee you it would be shot down with flames on here.

22. Default Re: Dirtwork on I-40 & Cornwell - SW corner of NW 10th & Cornwell

US postal addresses do not correspond with city limits. Don't use postal addresses to define city limits. When I was in Fl I had a Clearwater address but I was living in an area that was annexed by Largo, and now I live in Slaughterville but my mailing address is Lexington.

I did not mean to turn this into a debate. I fully understand what you and Catch22 are saying, I get it. It is a state highway.... I also believe Lincoln and Shields are state highways... cool story, right?

This is not a highway to me

this is

by all means... stay technical and there is nothing wrong with that. I was responding to to this line from MikeM which sounded to me like he was reffering Broadway to a highway like I-40, I-44, Kilpatrick, I-35, I-240, I-235 etc..... You understand?

To Mike, if that wasn't what you were getting at, then my bad I misunderstood.

You basically ignored my whole comment and decided to try to invalidate my argument by glaring at pointless fallacies. I was being facetious about Broadway being a highway (there's irony buried in there, guess this isn't the place) and didn't even try to hint at trying to keep everything in the proper city limits.

My ACTUAL point is that the Edmond city plan is a traffic nightmare and a terrible area to spend your day shopping. I'm hoping that Yukon doesn't use that as their master plan, although it's starting to feel that way.

For what it's worth the area south of 40 on Garth Brooks has been a cluster you know what since inception. I can't imagine it ever getting better since they just keep cramming crap over there. I go over that way about once a week for work, and honestly gripe about it everytime. Some dedicated turn lanes and lights could go a long way though.

Thread Information