Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

1. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

Sweet! Thanks for all the info..

Please don't rain, please don't rain. I'm going no matter what this year.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

2. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

Did it rain last year?

3. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

I don't know, I didn't go and was kicking myself for not going... my luck, I'll go this year and it will pour.

Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

As I recall, the weather was awesome.
    And for anyone who is wondering wether or not to go, when was the last time you attended a parade at night? Had a beer outside, downtown?

It is almost a time warp for adults who miss the fun of Halloween.

If you're not marching with the skeletons and want a cool t-shirt sign up to volunteer! Home | Gazette's Ghouls Gone Wild. Or call up to the Gazette at 605-6789. We still need parade marshals!

Just signed up to march. Who else is marching?

A few questions....

1) Is this family friendly or mainly for adult entertainment? It's okay to bring kids?

2) Does pretty much everyone wear a costume or just the parade skeletons? We're trying to decide weather to wear our (funny) costumes but don't want to have to drive back home if no one else is dressed up. It's a bit vague here.

1. there were quite a few kids there last year
    2. most of the people were dressed up, at least in the area I was at

I thought last year was good especially for a first time event. I think this years will be even better.

I watched the parade last year and it was a pretty festive time. There were a few people in the parade that were inappropriate, but for the most part it was tame. There were a lot of little kids and teens. I brought my 5 and 14 year olds and they enjoyed it. My 5 year old got scared by maybe 2-3 people out of hundreds/thousands? But isn't that what Halloween is about?
    There were quite few people in costume, especially the kids. Maybe 1/4 of the adults had some sort of costume. You wont be out of place if you wear one.
    There was very little candy thrown, so I would not bring a big plastic candy pail. Maybe a small plastic bag just in case.
    Looking forward to seeing the full 1,000 skeletons this year. 500 was pretty impressive last year.

10. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

The parade route has been extended this year and will start at NW 13th and Walker, head south to 10th Street where it will make a left turn over to Broadway and then south into downtown. There are a few tickets remaining for the roof top party at Cafe do Brazil sponsored by The Midtown Redevelopment Corp. . . . 6:00 to 10:00 . . . . excellent view of the parade with Wayne Coyne and the 1000 flaming skeletons, Anna’s great Brazilian food and an open bar included at $100 per person. Here is the E-Vite link.

Invitations, eCards, Party Ideas, Party Themes from Evite

You can also contact the Midtown office through the website Midtown Oklahoma City for more information.
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

11. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

I will probably be there.

12. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

Coming from Broadway Ext.. what's the best exit to get off to park.. Hubby will be working in Tulsa so I'm going to try to bring the kids by myself.. I'm not used to driving in that area so am not familiar with the exits and parking spots... any help would be appreciated.

Where to Exit
    Where to Park
    Where to Stand to see the Parade ( or do you follow it or ???)

Thanks!

Depends on what you're wanting to do before and after. If you want to watch the beginning only, get there early and stand on top of the Plaza Court bldg. There isn't much parking in MidTown so get there early. If you want to watch the bulk of the parade. Park in the 5th street parking garage and find a spot somewhere on Broadway. The parade ends in Bricktown near the ballpark but usually dies off towards the end so I woudn't get too close to the end. Broadway is your best bet for people/parade watching. Of course you can eat in MidTown or Bricktown (if you're not familiar with MidTown it's a good time to explore it and eat the fare). Last year I walked along with the parade and that was fun. It's about a mile or so walk one way.

Oh I am so excited! I'm not marching this year, I have obligations after the parade so I'm helping setup and paint skeleton faces instead. This is so fun!

The route is much different than last year so I really can't help with where the best place to view would be. I know the beginning of the route is always fun because people are excited to get moving. By the end of the route they are exhausted but anxious that the end is near...so it just depends on what kind of vibe you want to experience. My friends started at the beginning and then followed the parade to the end. Kind of a fan section that joined the parade.

Karried I know you, go out this week and scope out the route and the parking before Saturday night. I would suggest taking a printed map of the parade route with you and a pen. Take Broadway Ext towards downtown and exit on 10th Street. If you go West on 10th the parade will be between Broadway and Walker. Then you can turn left on Broadway and see how it goes all the way down to the curve on Gaylord. Probably for you, I would try to park somewhere on the North side of 10th so you could get out easily. Maybe around the Iguana Lounge too. And give me a buzz if you get lost or confused! I'll help. I'll be floating around with a camera and camcorder so yell if you see me.

Default Ghouls Gone Wild VOLUNTEERS!

If your going to the parade why not volunteer? Not only do you get get a great view but you also get a really cool t-shirt. All those interested read on.

1.Check in begins at 5 p.m. at the Volunteer Station on 8th and Broadway.
    2.Sign a waiver and get your float number then head to your assigned location by 6:30 p.m.
    3.Parade will start promptly at dusk or around 7 pm.
    4.There are approximately 74 floats and participating groups. Your job as a
    Parade Marshal is to ensure the parade goes smoothly by and that floats keep a good distance between them. Each float has it's own Marshal.
    Parade floats and participants are not allowed to throw anything into the crowds.
    5.Crowds along the parade route are not allowed to throw anything at the floats or parade participants.
    6.Police will be on hand at every intersection. If you see any violations or anything that you feel needs to be handled please get to a police officer or security guard, get to a parade official in an orange t-shirt or jacket, or call 911 if there is a true emergency.
    7.Do not try and handle any situation yourself. Your job is to be the eyes and ears of the parade.
    8.The last float will be Wayne Coyne and The Flaming Lips. Once they pass, the last Parade Marshals can fall behind and walk toward the end of the parade route and join the party at the Field of Screams or head onto the party of your choice.
    9.When you see the March of 1000 skeletons heading your way make sure the crowd is standing back to give them enough room. They tend to get wide and they are carrying flames!

I'm fired up to march.

17. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    I'm fired up to march.
    And how will we recognize you Wuz; got a creative costume design in mind?
    The Old Downtown Guy

It will take decades for Oklahoma City's
    downtown core to regain its lost gritty,
    dynamic urban character, but it's exciting
    to observe and participate in the transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Downtown Guy View Post
    And how will we recognize you Wuz; got a creative costume design in mind?
    Just a skeleton suit and some face paint, old. Maybe an open container. Are you getting in on the action?

Speaking of the skeleton suits, I'm a little concerned...

I bought the large skeleton package form the Lips' website, but I'm not convinced it will be large enough. I'm about 6'3", 250 lbs.

Can anyone tell me their experience with the suits last year? I hope they're really stretchy...

Is anyone going to an afterparty? Should I go to Venu or IAO?

Is it too late to sign up to walk in the parade this year?

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Don't think so. Go to flaminglips.com - I think you can still buy a costume.

23. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

I didn't know Venu was still in business.

I'm going to roll the dice here and assume the best after parties will be at either Copa, Hi-Lo or one of them '8 tattoo minimum' joints like the Blue Note.

25. Default Re: Ghouls Gone Wild 2008

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    You have until 3PM today to sign up at the Lips site.

Thread Information