Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chelino's

Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

My one visit to Ted's in Edmond was very similar: tables too close together (in the middle of suburbia!), a cacophony of noise and it really seemed like they were trying to rush you through.

Food was okay but I didn't care for the dining experience.

I only go to Ted's ( Southside) occasionally at lunch. It is very slightly less expensive than at dinner and not usually quite as crowded especially if you go around 11:00 or so.

I do think that Ted's is overpriced, I mean how much do tortillas, rice, and beans cost anyway!? They must be making a killing! It seams that most Mexican Restaurants in this city are starting to jack up their prices! Mexican used to be a cheap dinner out. Now it rivals everything else in price!

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Beer is what differentiates Chelino's from others...The 20 lime 1/2 lb of salt combination they do keeps me coming back
    ...which you can't get at the Bricktown Chelino's. They just salt it and don't do the lime rub, because "it takes too much time" to make.

Whenever I or another one of my friends wants to go to Chelino's, we go to the 'original' at SW 42nd and Robinson. You can never go wrong there. It seems the employees take more pride in their product/work there.

I love Chelino's, but La Luna is pretty good too. And, they do take the time to rub the lime around the rim, then salt the hell out of the glass. I just salivated.

5. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

Ted's is overrated.

Chelino's in Del City is consistantly good, and I agree that the Bricktown location is terrible.

Los Perico's is very good.

The San Marcos on SE 59th is always good, great service.

Here of late we been eating at Alfredo's in Moore, my wife really likes the food there.

With all the home grown quality family owned Mexican restaurants that we have to choose from, for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to go to a chain restaurant like On the Border, El Chico, or Abuelo's.

I go the chelinos on 42nd and robinson, we have been friends with the owner of that location for decades, his name is juan, he treats every customer like they are family, the food is great, service great. I do not like the bricktown location it has been americanized to much, kinda like if you are going to a taco bell. The Chelinos in norman is good but we are good friends with that owner armando. I think I am spelling his name wrong, Armando about oh i say 12 to 15 years ago use to work at the one on 42nd and robinson, now he has his own little chilenos, I believe all the brothers now have there own chelinos. But the best has to be 42nd and robinson. Oh if you want to creat your own plate just tell them what you are craving, I have never ordered from the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Exactly Pete.

I've noticed Ted's isn't as good as it once was. Don't get me wrong, they're still good. But, I think they were better when they just had the one location.
    I agree, mostly. I frequented the Ted's when it opened on Western because I lived in Norman. However, over the past 6 months, the food has been sub-par. Always great service, but not great food. We have Ted's catered frequently for meetings at work because the food is awesome, the catering is awesome, but last month we had the catered food and the entire group was disappointed. None of us are interested in ordering it again.

I'm not a big Chelino's fan either.

Quote Originally Posted by SeinfeldBlock View Post
    I agree, mostly. I frequented the Ted's when it opened on Western because I lived in Norman. However, over the past 6 months, the food has been sub-par. Always great service, but not great food. We have Ted's catered frequently for meetings at work because the food is awesome, the catering is awesome, but last month we had the catered food and the entire group was disappointed. None of us are interested in ordering it again.

I'm not a big Chelino's fan either.
    Email Ted at tc4542@cox.net. Tell him what your experience was, as you have done here. I expect he will do something about it.

9. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

I agree Chelino's food seems to have gone downhill. And Ted's is SO overrrated and overpriced.

1. Cocina de Mino (as good as always IMO--they're down to only 3 locations)
    2. Abuelita Rosa's
    3. San Marcos
    4. La Luna
    5. Mariscos de la Costa

Armando (Chelino's Norman) used to be a waiter at Nino's SW 51 and Penn. Back when I first got my driver's license in '79 me and my buddies would go there and eat.
    He is real personable and a great waiter. Don't get down to Norman much. Ricky's Cafe is Ricardo, a former waiter from 42 and Rob Chelino's. His first location in Moore had the Chelino's menu justed photo copied with the name changed. I eat way too much Mexican!!

oh yeah rickys, when they first opened tehy used to buy the chips and tortillas from the chilenos factory.. well Armando hasnt changed at all, it seems like father time has kept him the same age for the past 15 or so years, him and his wife are expecting a new baby soon. Okay now i need my chelinos fix.. So much for the diet.

12. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

Ricky's, IMO, is really really nasty.

yes rickys is, i have not been there in about i guess 3 years.. I know he was a cook at a chelinos but he must have lost his chelinos training or he went with his own vision with his staff, but hey all to there own a lot of people hate chelinos but i love them I like alfredos but lately the service started to suck and they raised there prices on a lot of there menu items they raised as much as a exrta 5 dollars since last year, so to me chelinos has them beat down.

Default Chelino's in Norman

I've been to the Chelino's in Midwest City and Bricktown before and it was okay. The one in Norman is horrible. Don't know if this common or if we just picked a bad night to go. Husband and I both ended up with food poisoning from there. Eaters beware.

Default Re: Chelino's in Norman

God... Chelino's is a sad excuse for a Mexican restaurant.. Quit wasting your money people..

They do make a mean Tecate

It's not my go-to place in Norman, and I haven't been in for quite a spell. It was ok back then, and never got ill there.
    There are definitely yummier places in town though

I just want to point out that although food poisoning is not at all pleasant and should certainly be avoided accidents do happen. The restaurant is run by people. No matter how well run a restaurant is at some point someone will become ill due to some error in making the food.

Basically, one instance of food poisoning is not, IMO, reason to declare "eaters beware." And occasionally "food poisoning" isn't really because of the food you've eaten or because of the food you necessarily expect.

I will be the first one to admit that it can happen anywhere, including your own home. The reason for the "eaters beware" is because a few of the people that I've spoken with since that happened have stated that they have gotten ill from there as well.

^ Ya cause its just plain bad food. lol

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    I've been to the Chelino's in Midwest City and Bricktown before and it was okay. The one in Norman is horrible. Don't know if this common or if we just picked a bad night to go. Husband and I both ended up with food poisoning from there. Eaters beware.
    in my experience i have found that the norman location is one of the better locations for chelino's and much better than the bricktown and midwest city locations

I couldn't find another Chelino's thread...

Beautiful day today and the bottom deck was full... So, why do they not use the top deck?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	10444

23. Default Re: Chelino's Relocating

More importantly why do they not use the canal-level? I've answered that question here before, but it's not a good reason.

The third level is a bit more complicated; the entire third floor is not used that often any more.

Everyone has their own tastes, but to me Chelinos is not good--none of them no matter the location.

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Everyone has their own tastes, but to me Chelinos is not good--none of them no matter the location.
    I can't agree, at least not with regard to the S. Robinson location. Never had a bad meal there, although I have had any number of bad tex-mex, okie-mex, etc. elsewhere. If Tarahumara wasn't in Norman, I'd be at Chelino's S Robinson far more often than I go.

Thread Information