Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The LFL is coming to OKC

Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

Kill him. Now.

This was a tactical mistake on Cornett's part. The LFL would have lasted about 2 years in OKC. It is pure novelty and you aren't going to get to see what you think you are going to see. It would have and passed quietly in the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Kill him. Now.
    The FBI will be at your door shortly.

I'm so sick of the faux family values crapola being dished out by the GOPasaurs in this state. Gag.

Very lame move by Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I'm so sick of the faux family values crapola being dished out by the GOPasaurs in this state. Gag.

Very lame move by Mick.
    I don't know if family values had anything to do with the decision but it's a ridiculous idea anyway. There have been many gimic type of sports leagues tried and none have ever worked. There is no point in getting envolved with something like this that will be gone in a year. Remember the XFL?

The Thunder girls wear less than LFL players. LOL

And yes, of course its a gimic. Each team only plays four regular season games with two of those being at home. Your basically just paying to say you went to a "Lingerie Football Game".

Its a bummer that the Devon Energy Lingerie League has the venue booked for the forseeable future. Maybe we could squeeze u in on a Tuesday night. We'll get back to you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    [insert obligatory lesbian joke here]
    The crowd...might have had a few Daughters of Bilitis in attendance with season tickets...

Maybe they could put the players in ankle length dresses for the home games and call it the FLFL?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I don't know if family values had anything to do with the decision but it's a ridiculous idea anyway. There have been many gimic type of sports leagues tried and none have ever worked. There is no point in getting envolved with something like this that will be gone in a year. Remember the XFL?
    With the cheap seats being $20 per game up to $85 for front row, Mick should have just let this idea die on the vine all by itself. Besides, they were still looking for a local ownership group. It was never going to happen anyhow, with or without Mick's comment.

11. Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

If it's only 2 games a year, yeah that was a bad mistake. So what if it failed or flopped. It would have been a show like any other event at an arena. Now if they wanted the city to fork over cash for anything, then no.

I'm betting that like any other league, they would have wanted the city to provide certain things at the arena. And who's locker room are they going to share? Not the Barons and not the Thunder. What...go to the Fair Grounds? I don't think it would have made it anyway, but hey could have been a fun ride.

And before anyone gets up on their high horse about oggling women in little outfits....women go to sporting events to look at guys too so get over that one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    This was a tactical mistake on Cornett's part. The LFL would have lasted about 2 years in OKC. It is pure novelty and you aren't going to get to see what you think you are going to see. It would have and passed quietly in the night.
    Glad that Mayor Mick at least let you know where he stood on this one. The novelty certainly would have worn off in our city on an LFL franchise.

Next?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    With the cheap seats being $20 per game up to $85 for front row, Mick should have just let this idea die on the vine all by itself. Besides, they were still looking for a local ownership group. It was never going to happen anyhow, with or without Mick's comment.
    Boneheaded move on Cornet's part. He should have let the free market decide, or at least let it be up for a vote of the council. Sure it would have failed eventually, but let the free market dictate when. They just let the Satanists rent the Civic Center, how is this any worse than that? If this was going to die before it got off the ground, he should have said nothing and let them try and find their ownership group, etc without saying a word.

I don't see Mick getting re-elected for another term, maybe he doesn't plan on it, but if he does, he'd be smart to not run and avoid the backlash. As a Cornett fan in the beginning and most of the time still, he is becoming less and less convincing of a leader IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Boneheaded move on Cornet's part. He should have let the free market decide, or at least let it be up for a vote of the council. Sure it would have failed eventually, but let the free market dictate when. They just let the Satanists rent the Civic Center, how is this any worse than that? If this was going to die before it got off the ground, he should have said nothing and let them try and find their ownership group, etc without saying a word.

I don't see Mick getting re-elected for another term, maybe he doesn't plan on it, but if he does, he'd be smart to not run and avoid the backlash. As a Cornett fan in the beginning and most of the time still, he is becoming less and less convincing of a leader IMO.
    Why are you comparing the two? One is a religious ceremony, one is the objectification of women.

We have midgit wrestling, but we can't have lingerie football.

Gotta draw that line somewhere I guess.

Boneheaded move on Cornet's part.
    WHAT??
    I don't see Mick getting re-elected for another term,
    because of this??? you got to be kidding!! Is this the last straw?...LOL

you guys need to start thinking with the head on your shoulders and stop thinking with the one between your legs!!

Stop this already, if you want to watch half naked women play football, drive to Dallas. And if you think this is about "the mayor not letting this crap in OKC" and NOT about you people getting another personal sexual thrill?...you are not fooling anybody.

Go find a dark closet somewhere.

LFL Chairman: "I thought our plans were for expansion into Oklahoma City, not North Korea".

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    My and many others thoughts exactly. Find and bring to OKC attractions with staying power not just flash-in-the-pan appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    My and many others thoughts exactly. Find and bring to OKC attractions with staying power not just flash-in-the-pan appeal.
    So if a league like the LFL wants to come to OKC with ZERO cost to the city - what's the difference? The mayor shouldn't be the morality police. If you don't like it, don't go.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    So if a league like the LFL wants to come to OKC with ZERO cost to the city - what's the difference?
    That is a pretty big assumption since they didn't even have an ownership team in OKC to begin with. However, if they had been called the Oklahoma City Tempters and worshiped Satan they would have been welcomed. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    There are a lot of things that have flash-in-the-pan appeal that make money. Half of the artists playing the Ford Center are flashes in the pan. Who can be certain what will take off long term and what won't?

I for one am not into Monster Trucks or Hooter's Restaurants but I don't begrudge other people the right to enjoy that kind of entertainment. What about the Ultimate Fighting bouts? Again, to each his or her own.

Personally, I find it odious that our mayor would be dictating what our citizens can and cannot spend their money on for entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by bretthexum View Post
    So if a league like the LFL wants to come to OKC with ZERO cost to the city - what's the difference? The mayor shouldn't be the morality police. If you don't like it, don't go.
    Personally I would have gone at least once for the novelty. Denying this on personal morality grounds I disagree with. If this one singluar/narrow issue changes anybodies mind about a future vote then good for you.

Sally Kern applauds you Mayor Mick!

Lunch at Hooters anyone?

I thought our plans were for expansion into Oklahoma City, not North Korea.
    That's hilarious!

Personally I don't care about the LFL, but I do care about the Mayor deciding what is appropriate for the community and what is not. That is WAY too much power for one guy. If people here think it's not appropriate then they wouldn't go and the LFL wouldn't want to be here. No big loss. On the flip side, we did lose a little rent money because Cornett is offended when girls show some skin to actually play a sport. I guess it's only okay when they're doing it to cheer on men playing a sport...

Now I guess every attraction that wants to come to OKC has to clear it with Cornett's sense of morals? That's not good. Not good at all.

25. Default Re: The LFL is coming to OKC

This is pretty pathetic. I say we cause a huge stink over this.

Thread Information