Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The old Split-T Bar and Grill

Default Re: Split-T on Western

Is it possible that Johnnie's is marketing the Theta Sauce? I think I only ordered a Theta Burger once . . . (and I seem to recall that I liked it). Is Theta Sauce a "multitasker" . . .? In terms of using it to add some great taste to chicken or fish?

That sonic on that spot serves a theta burger but have no idea how close it is to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    That sonic on that spot serves a theta burger but have no idea how close it is to the original.
    Its not close at all to what was there beforehand.

i would have to agree . . . yet i remain troubled . . . especially in the area of "neigh"-saying . . . =)
    (at least they ain't a-sellin' horse by-products . . . like over there in that nasty spot the other side of the atlantic . . . are they calling it the European Union now 'r whut? ) =)

Stay Tuned . . .=) for . . . why not to buy or buy Authentic Chorizo based on the packaging . . .

if ya stop t' think aboudit . . . maybe if a different letter of the Thetalphabet . . . involving Phi or Pi . . . nah that formula don't work.

The Split-T on Western was an Icon of Excellence in Mastering the Art of Drive-Ins (without a movie screen t' distract ya)
    The Burgers were out of this world . . . and even better than the burgers o' the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    Speaking of good burgers does anyone remember the small place across from McGuinness HS{west side of HS}i believe it was called Tommys? Served very small burgers something like 3 or 4 for a dollar. There was also McMahons on NW 36th around walker or so that had very good burgers and hand cut fries.
    There was a drive through about 52nd and Western that was called Cherry's. In high school( I went to Harding back in the sixties), we used to hang out there and at the Split-T. Cherry's burgers were small and were somewhat similar to Quicks burgers. Also, there was a hamburger place on the SE corner of 49th and N Western called Tommy's. I'm not sure if I ever ate at Tommy's, because in high school we referred to it as Tommy's Ptomaine Temple. I never heard of anyone ever getting food poisoning there, but just the same we stayed away. The location of Tommy's later became Abrahams, which now is located a block or so south on Western.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Is it possible that Johnnie's is marketing the Theta Sauce? I think I only ordered a Theta Burger once . . . (and I seem to recall that I liked it). Is Theta Sauce a "multitasker" . . .? In terms of using it to add some great taste to chicken or fish?
    Yes Johnnie's has a Theta burger but they are using the theta sauce and calling it Johnnie's sauce. Last time I went to Johnnie's, on Memorial, it was SO expensive. Over $35 just for three of us. A friend said they raised their prices to ridiculous amounts for a very short period of time but they now have come down a bit. I will have to give them another try.

I used to go see band at the ol' Split-T as many others have. Fanny Grace on Wednesday nights was our time at the T. I wonder what happened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    Yes Johnnie's has a Theta burger but they are using the theta sauce and calling it Johnnie's sauce. Last time I went to Johnnie's, on Memorial, it was SO expensive. Over $35 just for three of us. A friend said they raised their prices to ridiculous amounts for a very short period of time but they now have come down a bit. I will have to give them another try.

I used to go see band at the ol' Split-T as many others have. Fanny Grace on Wednesday nights was our time at the T. I wonder what happened to them.
    Yeah, in addition to the fact I've cut down on burgers as part of my general effort to lose weight, I will say we've not visited Johnnie's nearly as often due to their prices. Realize everyone's prices are going up, restaurants/food aren't cheap, but their prices just became out of sight for hamburgers. Good burgers, to be sure, but at some point, the expense was just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pedmond View Post
    There was a drive through about 52nd and Western that was called Cherry's. In high school( I went to Harding back in the sixties), we used to hang out there and at the Split-T. Cherry's burgers were small and were somewhat similar to Quicks burgers. Also, there was a hamburger place on the SE corner of 49th and N Western called Tommy's. I'm not sure if I ever ate at Tommy's, because in high school we referred to it as Tommy's Ptomaine Temple. I never heard of anyone ever getting food poisoning there, but just the same we stayed away. The location of Tommy's later became Abrahams, which now is located a block or so south on Western.
    A guy I work with, who is in his early 60's, mentioned a drive inn he used to go to as a kid called Cherry's and he said it was over on Northwest Highway east of May. He described Charcoal Oven, but I explained to him that Charcoal Oven has always been Charcoal Oven. So this clarifies that Cherry's was indeed east of May Ave, but much further east than he described. About two miles further east.

I'll have to tell him this next time I see him at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    The history of places like the Split-T, Hollie's, Bunny's, Dolores, is almost as tightly knit as is the history of Tex-Mex places in OKC. I can't say it started with the Stephens family, but they were one of the earliest when they opened Dolores at 33 NE 23 as one of the first drive-ins, and invented the term "car hop" while doing so. Their son Vince was one of the founders of the Split-T, and Johnnie's was started by a former head chef for them. Along the way Hollie's invented the bacon burger, and Bunny's is, I believe, a spin-off from there. Charcoal Oven was also, I've heard, a Stephens spin-off. And the young lady for whom Dolores was named lived until just a year or so ago...
    Johnnie Haynes was the manager at Split-T before opening Johnnie's. I think Howard of Howard's Charbroiler on Western where The Iguana (or somewhere in that area) was the manager after Johnnie at Split-T.

Johnnie's Charbroiler - About Us

I remember quite a few places having the Theta burger and ones very similar to it, Interurban at Northpark Mall and Norman had one and Charcoal Oven had one similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Now that you mention it, I remember the Westoaks location at NW 10(or was it 23) and Rockwell, on the SE corner of the intersection, although I never ate there.
    I grew up going to Westoaks at NW 10th & Rockwell. We also went to the Jolly Roger on NW 23rd just east off Ann Arbor next the former railroad tracks, the last thing that I remember in there was a Monterey Jack's.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Just an FYI, but the Split-T Theta sauce is now available in stores, my son loves the stuff.
    Where do they sell it? Might have to pick some up the next time we are in town.

Little's was located in the same location as the Jolly Rodger at 23rd and Ann Arbor. It was mentioned that Rusty Hilger owned the Split T. He was the second to the last owner I believe. People may recall he paged the wrong number to get some cocaine that turned out to be a Blanchard police officer's pager number. That was the beginning of the end of his ownership of the Split T. Two young guys in their twenties or early thirties were the last owners of the Split T, I think. I have always enjoyed the hickory sauce at the Split T, Johnnies, and Charcoal Oven. I ate a good burger today at a place called the Rib Shack at Reno and Council in the old Stan's BBQ location. Some of the best burgers I have had have been in BBQ's. Earl's has good burgers. Burgers and BBQ-Two of my favorite subjects.

Bigray in Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrayok View Post
    Little's was located in the same location as the Jolly Rodger at 23rd and Ann Arbor.
    Bigray in Ok
    I forgot about that....any relation to Coach Little?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Where do they sell it? Might have to pick some up the next time we are in town.
    Crest

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Crest
    Yesterday I looked for it at Edmond Crest, to no avail. Store was mobbed though, so it could've been sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by boscorama View Post
    Yesterday I looked for it at Edmond Crest, to no avail. Store was mobbed though, so it could've been sold out.
    Sadly, I don't always follow my own advice, but: "Never go shopping when the TV weathermen are foaming at the mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Sadly, I don't always follow my own advice, but: "Never go shopping when the TV weathermen are foaming at the mouth."
    Objection: What does this have to do with the Split-T on Western? =)
    (oops . . . sorry . . . i guess the reference was to "hunkerin' down" in the face of a harsh winter's storm involving some snow flurries . . . say! d' ya suppose that all of that Television Weather Panic is a subliminal ad paid for by Crest and Walmart? Nah . . . no way . . .)

Objection: What does this have to do with the Split-T on Western? =)
    (oops . . . sorry . . . i guess the reference was to "hunkerin' down" in the face of a harsh winter's storm involving some snow flurries . . . say! d' ya suppose that all of that Television Weather Panic is a subliminal ad paid for by Crest and Walmart? Nah . . . no way . . .)
    Not for Watonga, Calumet and Okarche. They are getting hammered right now. The storm has hardly moved at all in the last few hours.

At the risk of sounding selfish . . . maybe all of this will help partially re-fill Canton Lake?
    (and what does any of this have to do with the Split-T on Western . . ? =)

Just out of curiosity OKCNDN . . . Did you ever live somewhere when it snowed--A LOT--in the wintertime?
    (i'm not sure that "hammered" is the correct term . . . "blessed" maybe?)

It's one of those "yielding to 'The "Great" ""Spirit"" things . . . isn't it? =)
    Weather or Not 'you' Agree. Well . . . isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Don't tell RM but I was actually looking for Little Piggy's sauce. The name Little is featured in this thread and I'm pretty sure someone on that (other) thread mentioned Crest. Split-T sauce might have been at Crest but I wasn't going to buy any unless it was Piggy's, as I still have half a bottle of Head Country and don't use much anyway.

At the risk of sounding selfish . . . maybe all of this will help partially re-fill Canton Lake?
    (and what does any of this have to do with the Split-T on Western . . ? =)

Just out of curiosity OKCNDN . . . Did you ever live somewhere when it snowed--A LOT--in the wintertime?
    (i'm not sure that "hammered" is the correct term . . . "blessed" maybe?)

It's one of those "yielding to 'The "Great" ""Spirit"" things . . . isn't it? =)
    Weather or Not 'you' Agree. Well . . . isn't it?
    Hey for OK it's alot. They don't have a bunch of snow plows around there you know.

Thread Information