Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Haunted House

Default Re: Haunted House Restaurant

The way to get to The Haunted House used to be a big secret.
    Actually, it's northwest of the intersections of the frontage roads bordering the Four-to-Six-Lane "Freeways" just east of Eastern off of the re-beginning of 63rd St. on the west side of the mega-pavement.

In the country.
    I hear that the authentic Minnesota Wild Rice is superb.
    I hope to sample it someday.

This place is awesome! I agree with the assessments of some that, when you consider the quality of the food alone, the cost may not warrant a visit. However, the food is not bad, and there are few places in the metro with such a unique and fascinating overall dining experience. It's one of those places that everyone should experience at least once.

Default Haunted House Restaurant

Has anyone been? I saw it on The Journal Record and it looks interesting.

OKLAHOMA CITY – There are many restaurants in the city that can boast about having the freshest ingredients or the largest selection of wines, but there aren’t a lot of restaurants that have a history of being the place where someone took his or her last breath.

But at The Haunted House at 7101 N. Miramar Blvd., three people’s lives came to an end. In the house that was built in 1935, tragedy struck in 1963 when two people were murdered, and there was another death in 1964.

According to the records of the restaurant, automobile dealer Martin Carriker was living on the estate at the time when someone shot him with a .22 rife. He was living with his former wife, Clara Carriker, and his stepdaughter Margaret Pearson, who was accused of the murder. Before Pearson’s trial, Clara was found dead. Pearson was found not guilty of the murder of Martin. Then in 1964, she was found dead of an apparent drug overdose.

The home was facing foreclosure in 1964 and was eventually sold in a sheriff’s auction. Arthur Thibault purchased the home in August 1964 with his wife, Marian Thibault. They opened The Haunted House.

Arthur died 20 years ago, leaving Marian as the sole proprietor of the restaurant. Thibault said she believes the restaurant is the oldest restaurant in the city that is still run by the same owner. She said going to the restaurant is a part of her daily routine.

“It’s just a habit for me,” she said. “My God, we’ve been here half a century. If we didn’t like it, we wouldn’t be here. If you like it, then it isn’t even work. I like being around all the people. I like talking to them.”

The two-story home has 11 places where guests can enjoy their meal, with tables varying for party size. Guests enter through a large wooden door and have to pass through an entryway before they are in the home. White linen tablecloths bring light to the rooms covered in wood paneling or dark rocks.

The restaurant will celebrate its 50th anniversary in August, though the dining area has seen its fair share of anniversary celebrations in that time. Thibault said many patrons can cite their first visit as their prom night.

The restaurant has served people who know the glitz and glam of Hollywood, including Bob Hope, Liberace, Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson, Neil Young, Mickey Mantle, Paul Harvey, the Bee Gees and Foreigner.

“And of course, we’ve had Barry Switzer and Toby Keith,” Thibault said.

- read more here: http://journalrecord.com/2014/04/11/...e-real-estate/
    Even featured here: http://www.iclickfun.com/the-worlds-...e-restaurants/

-------

Really can't believe I haven't heard of this place. Has anyone been or even heard of it and if so, what are your thoughts? I will definitely give this place a try sometime.

On edit: I guess there was already a thread. My fault for not checking on that.

I went years ago and I don't remember it being bad but have never thought to go again so didn't make an impression on me. The urbanspoon reviews look really bad.

Default Re: Haunted House

I haven't been since the 80's but at that time I thought it was very romantic.

Don't remember much about the food but it's definitely unique.

6. Default Re: Haunted House

I've been there a number of times, including within the past couple of years. It's just such a nice setting and like Pete has demonstrated in another thread it is one of the very few connections to OKC's culinary past. I really worry that it will one day quietly close and we'll lose a unique restaurant; one of the more interesting places left in the city. The owner is not young, and I just hope that someone will take it on and perhaps innovate a little bit.

As Pete has also mentioned before, sometimes our memories of how wonderful food was in the past is more closely related to sentimentality than reality, and the Haunted House is probably a good case in point. I feel like their fiord is a little bit stuck in time; it would have been exceptional 30 years ago but maybe hasn't kept up with newer trends and techniques. It's still definitely worth a visit, though. It's also one of the few places left in thrown that have hosted actors and public figures of the past. It's a wonderful time warp, if a bit on the tired side when it comes to the meal itself.

The proprietor is quite eccentric. Her dramatic performance seems to raise the quality of the food.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The proprietor is quite eccentric. Her dramatic performance seems to raise the quality of the food.
    Is she a ghost?

I haven't been there in over eight years, but we always enjoyed it. It was on our rotation of nicer places for special occasions.
    C. T.

I'm going try and go this or next week sometime.

Also, I'm unable to edit the article for some reason and Pete hasn't responded to my PM regarding an proper organized article, but here is some links and info.

Also, here is their story:

T’S THE SORT OF THING THAT WINDS UP AS A LEGEND.

An atmosphere of tragedy hangs over the quaint old estate near NE 63 and Eastern. In less than a year, death has struck there three times.

Perhaps it’s all over.

Mrs. Margaret Pearson, the last of the clan, died over the weekend. And now there is no one left.

On June 1, 1963, the first life was claimed.

Martin Carriker, 74-year-old automobile dealer, was murdered. Someone fired a bullet from a .22 rifle into the base of his skull.

Carriker lived on the estate with his former wife, 72-year-old Clara Carriker, and his stepdaughter, Mrs. Pearson.

Investigating officers arrested Mrs. Pearson and charged that she and two handymen engaged in a conspiracy to murder the elderly man.

Then tragedy struck again.

Before Mrs. Pearson went on trial, Mrs. Carriker died.

Shouting, sometimes almost hysterically, that she was innocent of murder, Mrs. Pearson went through a preliminary hearing and a trial for murder.

A jury found her innocent.

Her health and spirit broken, Mrs. Pearson went home to more trouble.

A foreclosure action cost her the property. Earlier that year it was sold at a sheriff’s sale.

On February 14, the sale would have become final and Mrs. Pearson would have had to leave the tragedy-ridden mansion.

A man who was living in the old house heard water running and went to investigate.

Mrs. Pearson was dead.

The murder was never solved. Police have all but dropped the case since a jury disagreed with their appraisal of the evidence.

The old house was empty Monday. Only the legend lives on.
    Seems like a really cool place and if I am ever able to, I'd like to buy one day to keep it going; assuming it is ever in danger of closing.

Back when I was married, I took my wife there in '99. We went in the fall so it got dark early. And you drive down this path that fits one car so if you meet another car on the road it can be dicey. But you just keep driving back and back with all these unkept trees next to the path, encroaching upon and nearly impeding your way. My wife had never been there and didn't know there was a restaurant back there. She asked if I was taking her out there to kill her. Seeing as how I found out later she was a lying, cheating bitch who drained my bank account and made off with my kids and thousands of $, that probably wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Back when I was married, I took my wife there in '99. We went in the fall so it got dark early. And you drive down this path that fits one car so if you meet another car on the road it can be dicey. But you just keep driving back and back with all these unkept trees next to the path, encroaching upon and nearly impeding your way. My wife had never been there and didn't know there was a restaurant back there. She asked if I was taking her out there to kill her. Seeing as how I found out later she was a lying, cheating bitch who drained my bank account and made off with my kids and thousands of $, that probably wouldn't have been a bad idea.
    Woah..... that was a nice story that went downhill pretty quick. Sorry about that man.

14. Default Re: Haunted House

I used to go to Harvest right across the highway from this place and never heard of it. Sounds pretty awesome, save for the horrible reviews. The lead up to the surprise location with a date might be the funnest part though. Seriously, any girl on a first date would think the same thing lol.

Edit: For a moment I thought this might be the same place I saw on one of the paranormal investigation shows but I definitely would have learned about it then instead of now, if it was here but where I was thinking is the Catfish Plantation in Waxahachie Texas.

Well, I've set a reservation for Thursday at 730 so I will give a review(it won't be like BBates though :P). Will take pictures as well though seeing as there is a lack of photos I was able to find of this place. Hopefully they allow photography.

Plutonic Panda,
    I'm sure they allow photography but the ghosts won't be visible in your pictures!
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well, I've set a reservation for Thursday at 730 so I will give a review(it won't be like BBates though :P). Will take pictures as well though seeing as there is a lack of photos I was able to find of this place. Hopefully they allow photography.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Plutonic Panda,
    I'm sure they allow photography but the ghosts won't be visible in your pictures!
    C. T.
    Haha... I wonder if I should bring an emf detector.

Default Re: The Haunted House

Fun mental image ... PluPan sitting in the HH wearing an Egon mask and the GB suit

Prunepicker Guest

1994 was the last time I last ate at the HH and it was very good. I believe the scariest
    part of the restaurant is the decor. It's very 70's and dangerous.

The were very accommodating and let us bring a cake from an outside bakery. I
    tipped that notion very well. I wish I could tell you the steak I had. I believe it was
    a rib steak. Everyone in the party was very pleased.

I just don't think about the HH. Sad.

The Haunted House

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Fun mental image ... PluPan sitting in the HH wearing an Egon mask and the GB suit
    So long as he's not naked. I've met him and I don't like the visual...

PluPan, I'm kidding... I'm kind of kidding... I'm no...

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    If Bill Murray is there, I'll do it!

Here are some of my pictures of The Haunted House:

Plu Pan,
    I told you, the ghosts don't show in any of your pictures.
    C. T.

This restaurant is one of OKC's best kept secrets. The food is average at best but the atmosphere is outstanding and totally unexpected for Oklahoma. I suggest anybody who has not been to give it a try.

Looks like it hasn't changed a bit, which is kind of nice.

Lots of character in that place.

Thread Information