Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rendezvous Pizza

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rendezvous Pizza

Maybe this can replace wheelhouse for me, used to go a lot, you could really hang. Haven't felt that way about another downtown place yet.

I'm already craving that Detroit-style pizza... Maybe my favorite pizza ever. And that New York style is darn good as well.

All that without even factoring in the very reasonable prices.

Forgot to mention they'll eventually add delivery.

Here is a video they just sent me:

Got to try it out this evening. The vibe was good, really like the interior they did a good job with it. The staff was very much in test run mode as expected but they were friendly and had a good grasp on the menu. I had one NY White Pie slice and one Detroit Pepperoni slice. The NY pizza was pretty floppy (not sure if that's normal?) but had a good taste to it. The Detroit style was bomb and had great taste. I think I prefer Parlor as far as the Detroit style but this pizza was very good and the price point is just right. They offer traditional and house ranch so that was interesting. My buddy got a salad with his pizza and said it was really good. I think this place should do great.

^

Yes, New York-style slices are supposed to be floppy.

New Yorkers usually fold it to make it easier to eat.

I also stopped by last night!

Got the NY white and pepperoni, detroit lindell (jalapeno, pineapple, pepperoni), and the wings. The detroit pizza was really good, and I enjoyed it more than the parlor detroit style place. Also really enjoyed that you can get slices vs the whole thing. The NY white was somehow floppier than the pepperoni, and enjoyed the pepperoni one more. Wings the flavor was there, but the skin was a bit rubbery in texture.

I expect to be back, and try the other options they have. Definitely noted the stuffed garlic bread.

I bet we'll see several more of these places in the metro, ala Bricktown Brewery.

Just goes to show that there is always room for another pizza (or chicken or burger) place if it's done right.

They installed their sign yesterday (photo from their FB page).

Also, starting Monday, they will expand their hours to 11A-10P and will be open Sundays.

I went in last night and people are starting to find them; was about half full.

Blog Entries

I was there on Tuesday and it was decently full as well. Being owned by BTB, this incarnation of the space should really succeed

We went on Saturday and it was about 80% full, the wife and I each got a small Detroit style and it was very good. They are pretty large even with the small, so we both had dinner the next day as well.

Adding two more thumbs up for this wonderful new addition to Bricktown.

Looking for a quick bite and a beer, I stopped in last night, grabbing a seat at the bar.

The beer selection was good. Not out of this world good, but very solid. I suspect that as time goes on they will experiment with some different options in that regard. The headline in this regard, though, is that the beer is CHEAP. Multiple domestic options are only $2.50; many craft options for $5. Now, those are prices that will get me off my backyard patio and into their doors.

The service (bartender Chris?) was very friendly and knowledgeable about the pizza, the ingredients, and the significant research that went into the recipe development and technique for both the New York pizza as well as the Detroit pizza.

I tried a slice of both (pepperoni so I could have an apples to apples comparison).

As for the New York style, it was easily the best and most authentic I've had in Oklahoma City. Unlike Empire, Rendezvous has a much more airy crust. Now, don't get me wrong, Empire is a solid choice, but they have never really nailed the crust on a New York slice. For some reason, whenever I have it, the dough is much too dense. Not the case at all at Rendezvous.

I asked the server if the pizza is always this good. He said it was, even suggesting that nailing New York style is very easy. I laughed, as Rendezvous's version is the only one I've had in Oklahoma that, if paired with an actual New York slice, I wouldn't know the difference. The other one I've had that is very close is New York Pizza and Pasta in Norman on Campus Corner.

After that pleasant surprise, I settled in for another beer and decided to try the Detroit slice. Unlike New York, I've never lived in Detroit, and I've never tried a Detroit pizza before. After doing so, I recommend you do the same, and soon.

It's hard to classify it as pizza, as it is more of a thick, airy bread, with a buttery garlic flavor. Much like Chicago, the sauce is on top of the ingredients, but it doesn't sit as heavily on you as a Chicago deep dish slice would. It was DELICIOUS. Created in a square pan, the cheese forms a caramelized crust on the outer edge, the sauce would be a treat on its own, and the pepperonis had an almost smoky flavor to them.

As for the atmosphere, as Pete has stated, they did a tremendous job with the space. My only complaint is that they seem to have that nauseating OKC tendency to put music on at such a low volume you can barely hear it above the air-con. This creates a completely dead atmosphere in what should be expected to be fun and lively. For the life of me I will never understand why so many restaurateurs here just do not get how important music is to the overall ambiance of the establishment.

Overall, this is a big win for Bricktown and hopefully more local traffic will discover it soon. Best pizza I've had in OKC.

^

That Detroit-style they serve looks like a big chunk of bread but it's pretty airy and not as heavy as it looks. And the crust is nicely caramelized.

Such a great concept where you can get a big NY slice for $4 and I think a slice of Detroit-style is $5.

As for the beer selection, they don't want to compete too heavily with the Bricktown Brewery right next door (which they also operate) so they keep their list at the lower end, which is a nice change from the recent trend in OKC to start at $7 and sometimes not even get a full pint. They have Shiner Bock on tap for $2.50 which is very reasonable and then they do offer a bunch of craft beers as well; Coop F5 for $5.50 is about as low as you'll ever see.

Where else can you go for a big slice of well-made pizza and a pint of amber for $6.50?? Nowhere else in OKC, that's for sure; that's less than a Big Mac combo at Mickey D's.

I think this concept is going to be a smash when they start to open more locations and more people get turned on to them. They are filling a unique niche: good, reasonable pizza and beer in a great atmosphere.

Great reviews sooner & Pete. Look forward to trying them on a future visit. That does indeed sound like a good deal. Hard to find any meals less than $10, even fast food (as you mentioned)

14. Default Re: Rendezvous Pizza

Tonight, I finally got a chance to try Rendezvous. Having heard good things about this place, I went in with high expectations. They did not disappoint. The pizza is thick and soft, the sauce slightly spicy, the cheese goes all the way to the edge where it gets crispy. It was very good. I added a slice of New York style pizza as well (because why not?) and finished with a tasty Bricktown Root Beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210728_205951275.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	16989

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Tonight, I finally got a chance to try Rendezvous. Having heard good things about this place, I went in with high expectations. They did not disappoint. The pizza is thick and soft, the sauce slightly spicy, the cheese goes all the way to the edge where it gets crispy. It was very good. I added a slice of New York style pizza as well (because why not?) and finished with a tasty Bricktown Root Beer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210728_205951275.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	16989
    Looks even better than when I got it.

I stopped in yesterday and it absolutely lived up to expectations. The interior design is fantastic, the 8 Mile Detroit style was delicious, and the bartender (Wally) was incredibly friendly and attentive. The Detroit style comes in those two slices and its a lot of food. Under $12 for the pizza and a drink. Great price. I was really impressed.

We went a few weeks back and thought it was good, not great. Thought Providence was leaps and bound tastier. Providence was more expensive, however. Glad they seem to have a good following and I hope they make it. But we'll probably head to the Parlor when we crave Detroit Style.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    We went a few weeks back and thought it was good, not great. Thought Providence was leaps and bound tastier. Providence was more expensive, however. Glad they seem to have a good following and I hope they make it. But we'll probably head to the Parlor when we crave Detroit Style.
    I'll need to give Providence a shot, not a giant fan of the Parlor so I have only gone once and cant remember what we had.

I ate here yesterday. Salads were delicious, pizza was crisp and zesty, my beer was ice cold, and the interior looks great. Service was very good as well. Shoutout to Matt, he was very accommodating.

I've eaten at Providence a couple of times and Rendezvous a bit more than that. My take on the difference between the two is if you just want a no-nonsense slice, go to Rendezvous. If you want something more creative and interesting, you'll probably like Providence. Either are very good, but I'm partial to being able to get a small Detroit + New York slice and a drink at Rendezvous for the price it'd cost to hit up a drive thru

Returned to Rendezvous with my wife last week. She really liked it. As for me, I didn't like it quite as much as my first visit but thought it was very good.

Here's the mistake we made: The first time I went, I ordered a NY slice with a beer. The slice arrived piping hot, I ate it, and ordered a Detroit slice. When I went with my wife we weren't seated at the bar and ordered two of each to start.

1. It took a lot longer than the first time to get served. No biggie at all, but...

2. It seemed as if the Detroit slices were under a heat lamp for some reason before being served. The sequencing was off. It was still good of course but it wasn't what it was on my previous outing.

Next time I visit I will order slices one at a time.

It's been awhile since I went, but when I did they brought out the pizza slices as they were ready instead of all at once. Shame they didn't keep that up.

Man, they must've had a bad night when we went. NY (one slice of chicken, one of sausage) was room temp, had very little in the way of toppings, crust was flat and almost a Red Baron frozen thin-crust type of crust. Detroit had almost no cheese around the edge, too much sauce and was just waaaaaay too sweet (Tito's).

Visit last week was great. Wife isn't a big pizza fan but she's obsessed with Rendezvous now. Almost always get the Detroit style but so far it's always been hot, fresh from the oven (always get a full pizza and not slices so might be a difference), drinks always refilled and great service.

Went last night and must have been an off night for our server. After taking our order, all four of us commented at the same time about how rude and short the server was. They appeared to be severely understaffed as she was the only server we saw. Had to ask for silverware and napkins and she brought them for our table but not the half of our group sitting next to us so had to ask again (our college kids and we ordered as one group). Asked for wine as I can't drink beer and was told either red or white was my choice and she didn't know what they were.

However....their wings are on point. Nice char grilled with great sauces. The PB and J wings were really tasty. The blue cheese dressing was really good also with big chunks of blue cheese. I would go back and sit at the bar if hankering for wings. Would not return for the pizza as we thought the pizza was bland. We had the NY style pepperoni and the NY style supreme. Did not try the Detroit style so can not comment on that.

Thread Information