Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wedge

Default Re: The Wedge on Western

I tried the Wedge recently and I agree, it's very loud in there, but the pizza is a dead ringer for true Italian pizza - a wood fired brick dome oven and actual fresh mozzerella are something you won't find very often. I don't think they are using an imported Italian pizzeria flour, such as Caputo, but everything else taste like truly authentic Napoletana. The prices of course are more than what we are used to paying for a 12" pizza, but the quality of the ingredients dictate that and you definitely get what your paying for. The Wedge will definitely succeed, if for no other reason than they serve high quality food and are located in a smaller lower overhead type of facility - don't know if they rent or own, but I think it's sure to make plenty of profit.

2. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

Great food, great service.

Love everything the Deep Fork Group does. Wade Star, Chef Parrot and Rhett are the best restaurant people in town.

Except their NorthFork concept has not seemed to do so well. I'm anxious to hear what they announce for their Deep Deuce restaurant.

Metro,

You will be anxious to know that the Deep Deuce restaurant will be a slightly larger, second version of The Wedge.

jbkrems, how sure are you of this information? I know it was their first intent to make it The Wedge or a pizza shop, but they came out publicly (Lackmeyer did an article) stating that they don't duplicate ANY of their concepts. Don't get me wrong, it would be a great location for a pizza shop, but I don't see it as The Wedge part 2. Is it going to be a different pizza concept with a different name? Do you have an estimate on when they are looking to open?

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Metro,

You will be anxious to know that the Deep Deuce restaurant will be a slightly larger, second version of The Wedge.
    I agree with Metro about them not duplicating, but I HOPE you're right. It's so perfect to have a restaurant called the Wedge in a wedge shaped building. I'd almost rather they move the Wedge there and do something different on Western, if that were the option. Especially since, if things work out, it would be walking distance for me.

Metro,

That information is from the General Manager/Proprietor of "The Wedge," which is owned by Deep Fork Group. I was there on Saturday night for dinner and asked, given your comment. I was told that it would be a slightly larger restaurant, so the concept won't exactly be the same; however, it WILL be the same menu, namesake, etc., basically a 2nd Wedge. I was also told that Deep Fork Group has always had plans to open a 2nd Wedge near the Downtown/Bricktown area.

I do not know when it will open or anything like that. Just that they have secured the property for the location and they are working on it.

Isn't the new restaurant planned for the Flatiron building? That's what I'd been told a while back, when I asked about whether there was a chance of getting a Wedge downtown. But I too was told they would use a different concept, so I'm delighted to hear it will be similar.

Betts,

Where is the Flatiron building? Where is that? Is it in Deep Deuce somewhere?

10. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Except their NorthFork concept has not seemed to do so well. I'm anxious to hear what they announce for their Deep Deuce restaurant.
    I don't how they are doing sales-wise, but they are busy every time we go in.

Went in for Sunday lunch on father's day 07 and they had an all meat buffet set out. It was brilliant.

If you liked the Applewoods, they have all the old favorites, only they improved them.

Quote Originally Posted by escan View Post
    And yet, no one will tell me where it is!?!?>!?
    On Wester directly across the street from Bishop McGuinness High School on the west side of the road.

Everyone should try the Wedge once at least.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Metro,

That information is from the General Manager/Proprietor of "The Wedge," which is owned by Deep Fork Group. I was there on Saturday night for dinner and asked, given your comment. I was told that it would be a slightly larger restaurant, so the concept won't exactly be the same; however, it WILL be the same menu, namesake, etc., basically a 2nd Wedge. I was also told that Deep Fork Group has always had plans to open a 2nd Wedge near the Downtown/Bricktown area.

I do not know when it will open or anything like that. Just that they have secured the property for the location and they are working on it.
    FYI, according to the workers who have recently painted the new building, and took delivery of a pizza oven yesterday, it is indeed going to be a second location of the Wedge.

location, location, location??

That's what I was wondering. I haven't seen any buildings in Deep Deuce being painted recently, and the Flatiron Building, which is where I was told it was going to be located, hasn't had any work done on it, has it?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    That's what I was wondering. I haven't seen any buildings in Deep Deuce being painted recently, and the Flatiron Building, which is where I was told it was going to be located, hasn't had any work done on it, has it?
    NE 1st Street, just north of the railroad right of way. Little triangle shaped building.

betts, it's the building just west of the old Deep Deuce Jazz Club. I believe that is NE 2nd if memory serves right. It's basically the last southernmost street in Deep Deuce, all the way west just before the Walnut Street bridge. It's a deadend street.

Any word on when it is suppose to open?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    betts, it's the building just west of the old Deep Deuce Jazz Club. I believe that is NE 2nd if memory serves right. It's basically the last southernmost street in Deep Deuce, all the way west just before the Walnut Street bridge. It's a deadend street.
    Wow... no foot traffic there at all, is there? I walk over the tracks when I go to BT, I've never seen anyone there. But I am really excited.

It will be within walking distance for me when I move. I'm excited.

lpecan, there is no foot traffic there because it's a dead end street with nothing there other than the Deep Deuce Apartments. Once it opens, I would almost guarantee it will be packed just from Deep Deucers alone, let alone from Block 42ers, Central Ave. Villa residents, and folks from the Brownstones and Lofts at Maywood Park once that development wraps up. This area will be a true urban community.

22. Default Re: The Wedge on Western

I would like to say that The Wedge has me hooked. We go once ever two weeks probably, but we talk about it every few days. It is the "Wedge Trio" that does it for me. And the Fin Du Le Monde...pricey wheat beer, 12.00, maybe, but worth it. I always get the spinach salad with pears, spicy and sweet pecans, balsamic dijon dressing and feta? It is sooo good. The fig and proscuitto pizza is out of this world as well and my 3 year old loves the bocce ball. I would definitely recommend it. To whomever asked the price of pizzas at Deep Fork, they are comparable. We had one last night and it was 12.00.

Default The Wedge II

At the request of Metro, and since I could only find a thread for The Wedge, I'll post a quick review of The Wedge II.

Wedge II is a different atmosphere from the original, it feels more spacious, but it is by no means a large space. The proximity of the tables helps to enhance the urban feeling. The main dining area is surrounded by windows that provide a great view of Bricktown, Deep Deuce and Downtown, depending on which direction you face.

Last night my wife and I ordered the Italian Stallion pizza. The sun dried tomato sauce adds an extra little touch to a traditional pizza. The crust was fantastic last night, probably the best I've had at either Wedge (I've been to both a few times each), with each bite I had a slight taste of flour on the dough, which I particularly like because it adds to the fresh, handmade quality. We decided not to order the flatbread or a salad, like we often do, because we're trying to keep our portions down, so it was the first time we actually finished a whole pizza in one sitting. On the drink side, my wife ordered the house red wine for the first time and enjoyed it quite well (not much to review on my Amstel Light).

We're waiting on a chance to get out and enjoy Wedge II on its outdoor patio, I bet it will be a great spot to watch fireworks if they stay open late enough on the 4th or any other night with fireworks downtown.

Default Re: The Wedge II

The Wedge II is far superior than Wedge I. Wedge II's building is spacious, clean and has a nice urban feel. I feel like the Wedge I is dark, and seems a bit dirty for some reason. Plus, it seems like they pack you in there like sardines. My wife and I have been to the Wedge II multiple times and enjoy the views of the city. The staff has always been very nice and the food has never been anything short of delicious. Plus, if you get the OKC City Card, you can get 15% off.

Bottomline: Wedge (II) is my favorite pizza place.

Default Re: The Wedge II

Where is it?

Thread Information