Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mathis Brothers Question

1. Default Re: Mathis Brothers Question

They ran a pretty sleazy business in regard to their female employees 15+ years ago when the brothers worked out of the OKC location. While the 'hamster stories' were baseless, the sexual harassment of female employees and private bedroom within the store were very real.

Default Re: Mathis Brothers Question

Which store was at 301 West Reno (West was pronounced "Wes".

Quote Originally Posted by stick47 View Post
    I believe the original Mathis furniture store was started by Bud & Dons Father on California street back in the 40s.
    Last edited by UnclePete; 03-29-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by UnclePete View Post
    Which store was at 301 West Reno (West was pronounced "Wes".
    The present store was formerly located in that direction. Not sure of the address though.

The video Mathis Brothers didnt want you to see, anybody remember this? Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTZGX...e_gdata_player

I have heard of some guys who used to do commercials while plowing out in a field, selling furniture, I think.
    Oklahoma = either furniture or cars or fast food. The occasional check-cashing place with a man dressed like The Riddler.

Bizarrely, Mathis Brothers now has a large store in the Inland Empire area of Los Angeles and when I see one of their commercials, it's always a disorienting experience.

I bet they do well out here as there is nothing close to what they offer in terms of size and selection.

The Mathis Brothers need a rap a la Sammy Stevens:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Bizarrely, Mathis Brothers now has a large store in the Inland Empire area of Los Angeles and when I see one of their commercials, it's always a disorienting experience.

I bet they do well out here as there is nothing close to what they offer in terms of size and selection.
    The are all Okies in the Inland Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I didnt know they had stores in other Cities, especially Los Angelas.

Does that mean you dont like that they have stores located in areas like that?

"We got them fire blazing prices at Mathis Brothers Furniture"

Later,

" .. ... ..... ....... .,..... at Mathis Brothers Anniversary Sale"

I would guess Rit is a nickname for Richard: Rit(chard).

I've heard about their commercials in the Palm Desert area from a local who was suitably weirded out to see them while vacationing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    There's a very interesting history I read somewhere (on Stacy Barton's blog?) about the history of OKC furniture stores and locally broadcast C&W music shows. I think that Jude and Jody, Bob Mills and Mathis Brothers were all competitors in the whole scene.
    That's very true. I remember when all of those tv shows were on. I didn't like any of them but I remember them. An interesting fact is that Jude and Jody appeared on Bob Mill's show at the same time they were operating their furniture store.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBoy18 View Post
    The video Mathis Brothers didnt want you to see, anybody remember this? Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTZGX...e_gdata_player
    Haha, I hadn't seen that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Mathis Brothers was started in the middle 50's by Don and Bud Mathis. Bill and Larry are Don's sons. The first time I ever visited their store was when it was on Western Ave. Evans Furniture was in that same area at the time.

My older sister worked for Bud and Don in the original store on Western in the early 1960s. They were good ole boys who got their start refurbishing old appliances and selling them. They didn't start in CA. They are Okies.

As far as the new commercials with Rit Mathis go, I love them. He does a great job. I'm so glad that they shelved the commercials with his dad and his second wife and new family. They made me want to throw up.

Quote Originally Posted by TeriOKC View Post
    They didn't start in CA. They are Okies.
    If anyone ever said they started in California I must have missed that post. There was mention about the opening of stores in Ontario and Indio, California though.

The California comment referred to California street in OKC. See below.
    C. T.

"I believe the original Mathis furniture store was started by Bud & Dons Father on California street back in the 40s."

They are currently building 90 mattress stores and 10 mattress plants in China..

Quote Originally Posted by TAYGARLAN View Post
    They are currently building 90 mattress stores and 10 mattress plants in China..
    So, "Lady Americana" won't be American made? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    The name will be changed to Madame Chow-Fat Mattresses for the imported models.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Based on what I've heard from those who have owned one, America wouldn't want to take credit for them...

One of those strange things...you wouldn't think mattresses would engender that much strident opinion, but man, of what few people I've ever heard offer an negative opinion about a mattress, Lady Americana owners are far and away the winners. Lots of loathing out there for this brand....

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    I didn't think they were brothers either. We're wrong. The history on the MBF website says Bill and Larry are Don's sons.
    Don and Bud were cousins. Bill and Larry are brothers by Don Mathis. It is actually nice to see a younger Mathis keeping up the family tradition. Although I'm like some who shutter at seeing a Padgham or a Smicklas or one of the other grand kids appearing at an awful time of day or night. I will however say that the sons of Jude and Jody have kept the business going but have stayed out of the limelight.

Thread Information