Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

This is badly needed, and I think it would add a lot to the trails and to the area. Good crossing is one of the things the Tulsa River trails have over OKC's trails. Tulsa has at least 4 good, safe crossings. While right now all of OKC's are kind of sketchy and aren't really connected well with the trail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    This is badly needed, and I think it would add a lot to the trails and to the area. Good crossing is one of the things the Tulsa River trails have over OKC's trails. Tulsa has at least 4 good, safe crossings. While right now all of OKC's are kind of sketchy and aren't really connected well with the trail.
    Tulsa received $350 million in pledges toward their River Parks area renovation headed by lead donor George Kaiser (Foundation).

The competitiveness between Oklahoma's two largest cities has brought out the best in public tax supported initiatives (Tulsa Vision 2025 & OKC MAPS & Bonds) & private pledges & donations. The success of these programs has spurred private development three-fold for the millions of tax dollars invested.

City of OKC needs to continue its development & infrastructure along the stretch west of the Oklahoma River from Western Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue (north & south banks).

But the comments on Facebook on the Oklahoman's article about this told me about what a big waste of time and money this is!

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    But the comments on Facebook on the Oklahoman's article about this told me about what a big waste of time and money this is!
    I was curious so I went and took a look. And wow you weren't exaggerating. I even went on to read the comments about the new park and there was legitimate comments of people saying they should have made the land parking for downtown instead.

It is crazy how different the collective mindset is on this forum. Sometimes I wonder how any MAPS ever passed.

Blog Entries

Fortunately some of those folks either can't vote in OKC elections (because they don't live in it but must share their opinion anyway) or just don't.

It's amazing how vocal some folks are with their ignorance. "Wasting money on a stupid Ferris wheel when our schools are failing."

It goes to show you how much most of us live in a protected shell and either dismiss people like this or don't even realize they are out there.

8. Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Paseofreak View Post
    It's amazing how vocal some folks are with their ignorance. "Wasting money on a stupid Ferris wheel when our schools are failing."
    Unfortunately the most vocal are usually the least informed.... Had they taken the time to inform themselves there wouldn't be much left to say as most of their questions would have been answered.

I see those Facebook comments all the time and it makes me want to scream.

Since we're on the subject, the survey results from 2009 tell a very interesting story. The numbers from this News9 report:

Reasons to vote Yes:
    Trails, Sidewalks, and Parks -- 71% For / 28% Against
    Light Rail/Streetcar -- 62% For / 35% Against
    Senior Wellness Centers -- 57% For / 41% Against
    Downtown Park -- 51% For / 47% Against

Reasons to vote No:
    Fire and Police Resources -- 88% Agree / 11% Disagree
    List Projects on Ballot -- 80% Agree / 15% Disagree
    Rafting and Kayaking -- 48% Agree / 51% Disagree
    Convention Center -- 46% Agree / 54% Disagree

Obviously their questions are poorly worded because the data don't provide the actual approval ratings for the projects, just whether people perceive them as reasons to vote for or against the entire ballot, which is ambiguous.

Still though, seems like the rough ordering of the projects was/is:
    1. Trails, Sidewalks, Parks
    2. Streetcar
    3. Senior Wellness Centers
    4. Downtown Park
    5. Convention Center
    6. White Water Rafting Course

As you guys can see the park was the most closely contested project race, split almost 50/50. Surprisingly the Streetcar received a roughly +27% approval rating (I say surprising since everybody outside this forum seemed to have forgotten it was a thing until construction started). And perhaps even more shocking, and kind of funny honestly, is the fact that the RiverSport Rapids were apparently less popular than the Convention Center!

Honestly though, both this forum and the NewsOK comments represent the two extremes with regard to the pedestrian bridge, MAPS, etc. Most regular people don't care this much (I know because of the looks on their faces when I get started on this kinda thing ).

source: http://www.news9.com/clip/4370506/br...ters-attitudes

11. Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

I find people on this forum to be more optimistic about all things OKC. People I talk to on the street or read comments on news sites really like to be vocally negative.

Obviously we all don't agree on everything but for the most part people here tend to see the bright side of parks and street cars.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Tulsa received $350 million in pledges toward their River Parks area renovation headed by lead donor George Kaiser (Foundation).

The competitiveness between Oklahoma's two largest cities has brought out the best in public tax supported initiatives (Tulsa Vision 2025 & OKC MAPS & Bonds) & private pledges & donations. The success of these programs has spurred private development three-fold for the millions of tax dollars invested.

City of OKC needs to continue its development & infrastructure along the stretch west of the Oklahoma River from Western Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue (north & south banks).
    The $350 million for The Gathering Place is understated. That’s the donated money for phase I. There’s also almost $150 million in city bond money and federal grants for the new low water dam, the new pedestrian bridge, reconstructing Riverside and bank work. The total now in public and private dollars for The Gather Place is nearing half a billion dollars, for phase I alone.

Sadly, as part of all that work the railroad pedestrian bridge in Tulsa is about to be no more. It’s closed now as part of The Gathering Place and will be torn down and replaced by a higher capacity pedestrian bridge as the new low water dam is built. So today the Tulsa area has 7 pedestrian crossings for The Arkansas and will be back to 8 when the new bridge opens in 2020. A new 9th bridge is part of the upcoming Tulsa/Jenks low water dam at 106th due to be completed in 2024 and pending design there should be a 10th with the new Gilcrease Expressway toll bridge west of downtown. All but the Memorial bridge are already connected to the Tulsa area trails system and there are plans to connect the Memorial bridge.

Tulsa pedestrian river crossings:
    Highway 97 bridge near downtown Sand Springs
    Gilcrease Tollway bridge (this is the new toll highway bridge being planned at about 60th W Ave with pedestrian access, due to open in about 3 years)
    I-244 bridge – by downtown
    Southwest Blvd bridge – by downtown
    21st Street bridge
    Pedestrian Bridge @ 33rd St (currently closed and being replaced, new bridge due to open in 2020 with new low water dam. Budgeted at $26 million and in design now)
    71st Street bridge
    Jenks pedestrian bridge @ 96th St
    Jenks Dam pedestrian bridge @ 106th (this is a new pedestrian specific bridge due to be built with Jenks Dam opening in 2024)
    Memorial Drive pedestrian bridge in Bixby

When I read a facebook comment on any new project announced in OKC, it never fails to amaze me the number of people who know absolutely nothing about civics and what each level of government does. And every single time about 75% of the comments sound something like "How can we afford to build this when our schools are broke".

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerScot View Post
    When I read a facebook comment on any new project announced in OKC, it never fails to amaze me the number of people who know absolutely nothing about civics and what each level of government does. And every single time about 75% of the comments sound something like "How can we afford to build this when our schools are broke".
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    The $350 million for The Gathering Place is understated. That’s the donated money for phase I. There’s also almost $150 million in city bond money and federal grants for the new low water dam, the new pedestrian bridge, reconstructing Riverside and bank work. The total now in public and private dollars for The Gather Place is nearing half a billion dollars, for phase I alone.

Sadly, as part of all that work the railroad pedestrian bridge in Tulsa is about to be no more. It’s closed now as part of The Gathering Place and will be torn down and replaced by a higher capacity pedestrian bridge as the new low water dam is built. So today the Tulsa area has 7 pedestrian crossings for The Arkansas and will be back to 8 when the new bridge opens in 2020. A new 9th bridge is part of the upcoming Tulsa/Jenks low water dam at 106th due to be completed in 2024 and pending design there should be a 10th with the new Gilcrease Expressway toll bridge west of downtown. All but the Memorial bridge are already connected to the Tulsa area trails system and there are plans to connect the Memorial bridge.

Gilcrease Tollway bridge (this is the new toll highway bridge being planned at about 60th W Ave with pedestrian access, due to open in about 3 years)
    21st Street bridge
    Pedestrian Bridge @ 33rd St (currently closed and being replaced, new bridge due to open in 2020 with new low water dam. Budgeted at $26 million and in design now)
    71st Street bridge
    Jenks Dam pedestrian bridge @ 106th (this is a new pedestrian specific bridge due to be built with Jenks Dam opening in 2024)
    Do these new dams on the Ark have a lock system like the OKC dams that let the river cruisers navigate for about 6 miles ?

Would be nice if they did ?

16. Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

I'm not really sure you could call OKC's an actual trail system compared to other cities with actual trail systems.

21st Street bridge
    71st Street bridge
    Thanks for the list. From what I've been told, the Gilcrease Expressway will have full trails along it, just like BA south loop and Creek turnpikes, including pedestrians on the bridge across the Arkansas. I'll have to ask what width they are looking at for the crossing.

The other big difference in the Tulsa bridges from the current OKC bridges is that you do not have to leave the trail to get on to the bridge, it is seamless part of the trail system.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'm not really sure you could call OKC's an actual trail system compared to other cities with actual trail systems.
    True, but at least they are working on it and I think they're learning from past mistakes. Although the lack of true connection between the west river trails and the river trails makes absolutely no sense to me, they are at least working on the bridge. I really want to know how the Tulsa area gets the turnpike authority to put trails along all of its turnpikes, but OKC doesn't do the same. A trail along the right of way of the Kilpatrick would be very nice for riding.

Highway, Rail and River ROWs make the best locations for trails, because they typically have few road crossings. Unlike the Grand trail that has hundreds of road/driveway crossings, to the point most bikers I know just ride the road there still. Those ROWs also typically go somewhere, so they can used for commuting too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Do these new dams on the Ark have a lock system like the OKC dams that let the river cruisers navigate for about 6 miles ?

Would be nice if they did ?
    No, no locks. These dams are going to be like large air bladders that can be collapsed during large river flows and to allow sediment to flow down river.

The Arkansas is a large river so the cost would be extreme and from what I understand the topography and the only slight elevation change through the bend at Tulsa make it unsuitable for locks anyway. This is why the port is at Catoosa on the Verdigris River and not on the Arkansas river somewhere.

Blog Entries

The naysayers will continue to be a cancer to the progress wing that promotes our city. They are quick to tell you about how they want their tax dollars spent & that they pay your salary.

I told one of these naysayers to go to the Oklahoma Tax Commission and have them compute how much of my salary her tax contributions pay--I'd gladly give her a personal refund. Never heard from her again.

It's time to clean up the black eyesores & crows feet of our city (Producers Coop Mill, Pull-A-Part, abandoned bridge & schools), and get doubly tough on the litter bugs who love to clean their cars by dumping the debris in parking lots & streets.

20. Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

That's like counting the new I-40, boulevard, streetcar, and convention center toward the overall Maps 3 park budget. When in reality we know we're all just a line item in the convention center budget at the end of the day :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That's like counting the new I-40, boulevard, streetcar, and convention center toward the overall Maps 3 park budget. When in reality we know we're all just a line item in the convention center budget at the end of the day :P
    The new I-40 is almost a billion alone.

22. Default Re: OK River Pedestrian Bridge

Yeah so take that Tulsa $$$$

(I wish they would)

It looks like 1.9 million will be going towards this project as part of the 2017 Bond Issue

b. Abandoned rail corridor from S Agnew Ave to the River Trail
    on the north side of the Oklahoma River
    $1,900,000

- https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=7501

Blog Entries

1. New Trails:
    a. SW 119th St from May Ave to Chelsea Chase $700,000
    b. Abandoned rail corridor from S Agnew Ave to the River Trail on the north side of the Oklahoma River $1,900,00

Rough estimate of $1.9 million to transform the abandoned rail corridor into something pedestrian & family friendly.

Let's get started...

Any ideas on when the bond funding will kick in for this project? The renderings look amazing. This will help spur even more development south of the river and bring in another unique architectural element to the urban core.

Thread Information