Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun Sam's in OKC

1. Default Re: Shotgun Sam's in OKC

I used to love the pizza crust. They put corn meal or something on the bottom so it cooked up almost as crisp as a cracker.

Default Re: Shotgun Sam's in OKC

mugofbeer: there are a few places that put corn meal on the bottom. While I don't care for their regular crust all that much, have you tried Cici's Italiano (thin crust pizza)? it is very thin and crisp cracker like. I always special order an all-meat with onions & cheddar added. Their deep dish is also very tasty, some of the best I've had...most places, it isn't cooked all the way through and still doughy in the middle. Not sure how they do it but it is slightly crispy on the outside, soft but cooked on the inside. Delish.

My parents watched them roll a trashcan full of dough down the ramp of a truck and the lid came open and spilled the dough on the ground!! Never knew if they used it anyway!
    I can picture the inside of the place and watching them swirl the dough in the air thru the window but don't recall much else.

A group is going to try and recreate Shotgun Sam's in Tulsa:

Shotgun Sam's Pizza Palace re-opening in Tulsa | www.krmg.com

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A group is going to try and recreate Shotgun Sam's in Tulsa:

Shotgun Sam's Pizza Palace re-opening in Tulsa | www.krmg.com
    In OKC the Sam's at NW 36th and N May hired real musicians to play on
    weekends. As a kid I didn't totally appreciate it. But when I grew up I
    was playing with the same guys on other gigs! Talk about cool.

This article doesn't state whether or not the original recipes will be used.

At any rate, I hope it works.

Great memories ! In the early 70's I had a roommate that played piano at the 39th street Sams. His name was Jack Bailey, and he always made sure I got plenty of free pizza. I was also friends with the guitar/banjo player, for some reason I can't remember his name. I do remember he had a cheesy mustache. Once I was going through the buffet line and a little boy in front of me picked up too much pizza and dropped 3 or 4 pieces on the floor. He picked them up and put them back on the plate. the guy behind me didn't see this, and picked up several of the dropped pieces. He seemed pretty happy when I told him what had transpired. Shakeys is still open(at least on the east coast). I was in D.C. a few years back and was pleasantly surprised to find one.

Uncle Slayton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soonergeezer View Post
    Great memories ! In the early 70's I had a roommate that played piano at the 39th street Sams. His name was Jack Bailey, and he always made sure I got plenty of free pizza. I was also friends with the guitar/banjo player, for some reason I can't remember his name. I do remember he had a cheesy mustache.
    It may have been Kenny Munds of the group Brush Arbor (I think they won a Grammy or something back in the 70s). I used to occasionally sit in on bass with him when he was doing the Shotgun Sam's gig.

I really like seeing what things cost back then. Extra large pizza for under $3. It gives me an idea of what it cost my dad to take the family out for dinner back then.

9. Default Re: Shotgun Sam's in OKC

"my horse's name is Alice!"

Tulsa Gal: Tulsa Pizza

The yelp reviews of the one in tulsa are less than spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Slayton View Post
    It may have been Kenny Munds of the group Brush Arbor (I think they won a Grammy or something back in the 70s). I used to occasionally sit in on bass with him when he was doing the Shotgun Sam's gig.
    I can't remember if that was his name, he was kinda small receding hairline and a big stash. Really friendly guy.

Thread Information