Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Default Re: Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Steve's Rib in Edmond.

End of discussion!

I like Bob's Barbeque in Norman. The County Line is a close second.

Red Zone (formerly Bob's) and Van's, both in Norman, are both right tasty.
    Rib Crib is better than merely passable, but I don't get there much as I really dislike the intersection mess that's on the west side of I-35 at Robinson.

You guys are killing me with this thread... mostly because there's no decent BBQ around here for miles and miles (maybe I should be saying kilometers and kilometers) and I won't be in Oklahoma for another four months!

Great discussion! Usually, when a group of people start talking about BBQ, everyone talks about ribs, which I could honestly care less about. Great sides (okra, slaw, beans, corn, potatoes) really define a great BBQ place, in my opinion. I'm one of those folks that prefers the smaller main courses and lots of okra and slaw...

Is it dinner time yet?

I'm a little late on the thread, but I just joined, and BBQ is my favorite meal.

Swadleys is fairly uneven; several times the meat has been dry. While Earl's is pretty good, and Van's Pig Stands are excellent, the best ribs in the OKC area (or maybe even the state) are at JT's on Sunnylane in Del City. They also make a great chili, and the chopped beef is excellent.

Cheers, Bill

Hmmm, love all BBQ! Anyone remember Han's over on NW 10th? Love'd that one!

7. Default Re: Best BBQ in the OKC metro

Smokehouse BBQ on Lincoln just north of the capital... Its amazing!!

I love Earl's, but I cannot believe Leo's hasn't been mentioned. That's an old favorite of mine.

This has done nothing but make me want to pull out the grill!! ERR, lol. *mouth watering*

Spencer's N.E. 23rd and Post rd. homemade rolls and great sauce...

Amen on Leo's! and for you downtowner folks, Leo's has re-opened their location on Harrison Avenue, just east of the Y past the railroad bridge.
    They were featured on the Food Network show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" recently - that was pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by BillHensley View Post
    I'm a little late on the thread, but I just joined, and BBQ is my favorite meal.

Swadleys is fairly uneven; several times the meat has been dry. While Earl's is pretty good, and Van's Pig Stands are excellent, the best ribs in the OKC area (or maybe even the state) are at JT's on Sunnylane in Del City. They also make a great chili, and the chopped beef is excellent.

Cheers, Bill
    I was just about to post the same thing. If you are in to the rib thing, I think JT's has the best. I really won't even order anyplace else because I am usually dissapointed by others. They are only open till 2 pm, except on Fridays they stay open for dinner.

Now, of course BBQ is a very indvidualized taste, so I always get a kick of people telling other people they are wrong about their choice. I have found most BBQ places tend to have a speciality.

The fun part is trying them all out!

Does anyone remember Pulliam’s BBQ? I think it might have been on 4th Street but I can't really remember anymore. As I recall it was in a garage of a residence and it had a dirt floor. There was a kind of table built around the perimeter of the garage with a bench. You ate looking at the walls of the garage. There was a soda machine in the middle. The ribs were served on Wonder Bread wrappers with an ample supply of bread and sauce. I remember it from the 60's and maybe the 70's.

Bobs and Vans Pig stand in Norman

Rib Crib is my all time favorite.

www.IraqWarHeroes.org/Allbaugh.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerafbrat View Post
    Rib Crib is my all time favorite.
    If rib-crib is the ultimate in bbq for you then you havent ever had good bbq. Thats like saying chili's is the best restraunt for mexican food.

I will say that rib crib is very consistant each time im there and has decent food. But best bbq?????

Quote Originally Posted by rugbybrado View Post
    If rib-crib is the ultimate in bbq for you then you havent ever had good bbq. Thats like saying chili's is the best restraunt for mexican food.

I will say that rib crib is very consistant each time im there and has decent food. But best bbq?????
    It was my opinion, nothing else. And I have had ALOT of bbq in my life, it is still my all time favorite.

mcdonalds makes the best hamburgers in the world, true story

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerafbrat View Post
    It was my opinion, nothing else. And I have had ALOT of bbq in my life, it is still my all time favorite.
    I hear ya Tinker...I still say Texas Roadhouse has one the most consistently good filets out there and I have had many a steak in my time

There are usually good reasons that restaurants make it to becoming a chain....Except for Applebee's of course

Hi y'all, just joined, and my first post may as well be devoted to one of my favorite types of food!

I would like to third Leo's---and I'm glad to hear of a new (to me) location. The baked beans are out of this world---they're a meal unto themselves with the shreds of pork and mustard overtones. I've always been taken by the sauce, which I'm convinced is produced via barely legal methods involving a still hidden in back and barrel-aging. Such a potent way to enjoy their ribs.

I also enjoy Billy Sims in Edmond. I've never been disappointed by their pulled pork (all I've had there as of yet), and their sauce seems to be similar in flavor to Leo's---a big plus.

I agree on Billy Sims place. I have never been disappointed with their food.

J.R.'s is another of my favorites. I live in OKC, and I am more than willing to make the drive to Norman for their food.

Just got back from Van's in Norman... awesome fried okra and great relish and sauce... I got the pork loin sandwich. I'll give them an "A" grade and a return visit, for sure!

Best sauce and beans in town would have to be Steve's.

I ate at the newly reopened Jack's BBQ a few weeks ago on 39th. It is run by the original owners who first opened it (not the last owners). I must say, it's not the same as it used to be, but it's still good. The exterior is still hole in the wall, but they completely gutted and re-did the interior, very nice and clean and minimalist. They even have a plasma tv on the wall to watch football and such.

I ate at Leo's about a month or so ago as well and I thought it was the nastiest stuff I'd ever eaten period. I wouldn't even call it BBQ. The chopped brisket sandwich I got had absolutely zero flavor and was mostly grizzle and fat.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I ate at Leo's about a month or so ago as well and I thought it was the nastiest stuff I'd ever eaten period. I wouldn't even call it BBQ. The chopped brisket sandwich I got had absolutely zero flavor and was mostly grizzle and fat.
    My, I'm sorry to hear that. I must admit that I've never gotten the brisket there (or anywhere else), being a hardcore pork enthusiast.

Thread Information