Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leo's BBQ

Default Re: Leo's BBQ is Closed

Hopefully they can get things righted and will be open by Christmas so i can pick up some sauce when I am in town.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They better open back up!

After the founder died Leo's has been on a roller coaster. I stopped going there when the food quality became unstable/inconsistent. One trip it is great and the next it is only suitable for the garbage. Help turnover and not taking care of the customers hurt them badly. On my last trip the counter man said he was very unhappy that the business was buying what he term "scrappy" meat and trying to financially survive by serving, in his words "unacceptable" meat.

Go back to providing a quality product at a fair price and I and others will come back. Continue as they have the last couple of years and it will be goodbye foreer.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    After the founder died Leo's has been on a roller coaster. I stopped going there when the food quality became unstable/inconsistent. One trip it is great and the next it is only suitable for the garbage. Help turnover and not taking care of the customers hurt them badly. On my last trip the counter man said he was very unhappy that the business was buying what he term "scrappy" meat and trying to financially survive by serving, in his words "unacceptable" meat.

Go back to providing a quality product at a fair price and I and others will come back. Continue as they have the last couple of years and it will be goodbye foreer.
    My thoughts exactly.

Before Leo died, I went there all the time. We'd come back from lunch absolutely STINKING of hickory smoke & BBQ, and it would drive everyone else crazy in the office. "Man - I had a salad for lunch today, and you guys are KILLING me!"

Not just the food quality, but the entire operation fell apart as of late. I placed a large take-out order for a Saturday pickup in the spring, we called to confirm that it was ready but they never answered their phone - at either location (the order was ready, but not answering the phone!?) . And we ordered several cakes for a reception, but the order was lost.

A shame.

6. Default Re: Leo's BBQ is Closed

The last time I went, I was shocked at how low-quality the meat was. That was the last time for me.

I noticed a rental moving truck at Leo's, early morning, a few weeks ago and 5 or 6 guys loading up the truck, I didn't think anything about it until now.

I had not been to Leo's for quite some time since I bought a smoker and started making my own bbq. But, I decided to relive some fond food memories and make a trip for my birthday last spring. I was salivating thinking about how good it was going to be to eat Leo's again. Wow! I was dissapointed! I was prepared for the usual "things taste better over time as you remember them", but there was no way my memory was that bad! It was obvious that they had cut down on the amount of spices in their rub and how much smoke they used. I wish now that I have never gone and could remember Leo's for what they used to taste like...

Prunepicker Guest

I'd been disappointed with Leo's for many years. As much as I wanted
    to relive the glory days it just didn't happen. The strawberry cake was
    the same but the bbq lacked.

I thought it was interesting that the original location was on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives then closed down for about two years just a short time after. I still like Leo's and hope they can get open again.

Bigray in Ok

BUMMER! That is pretty damned depressing. I guess I will have to go to Sprigg's more often, I like their barbecue a little better, but they don't have the wacky location or complementary greens like Leo's did!

i believe they have reopened on 36th & kelley. -M

13. Default Re: Leo's BBQ is Closed

downtown location is open today.

Still not open today (Monday) but sign on the door says they will be on
    Tuesday. Guess we can wait and see.

15. Default Re: Leo's BBQ is Closed

I have been following this thread with much interest and am here to report that I too went to Leo's at 36th & Kelly on Monday and everything was delicious, or at least the same as I remembered. The meats were fantastic and the sides were tasty but not outstanding. The staff was friendly and they had a pretty good crowd at lunch
    As far as the orange sticker in the window goes, Hey, it happens. Keeping up with state taxes are one of the biggest challenges for small restaurants. When the OTC is unhappy with you they will shut you down until you pay them or at least enter into a payment arrangement. Then it's business as usual.

16. Default Mr Gatti's Pizza is coming back to OKC

Default Re: Mr Gatti's Pizza is coming back to OKC

Awesome

Worst. Pizza. Evar.

19. Default Re: Mr Gatti's Pizza is coming back to OKC

That was a favorite hangout spot when I was young. I think we went to one on NW 39th.

20. Default Re: Mr Gatti's Pizza is coming back to OKC

I don't remember having ever eaten Mr Gatti's pizza. Guess we'll have to try it.

I've had it elsewhere, though it's been a long time back, ala early in the 80's. Don't recall offhand ever visiting a Gatti's in the metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Worst. Pizza. Evar.
    No one ever agrees about pizza. You've stated your opinion more than once about Gatti's. I've never eaten there so I don't have an opinion but I suppose the response of the public in general will decide instead of what you or I think.

I ate at one in Texas a few years ago and it was horrible I thought. I would much rather eat at Cici's if that tells you anything.

It is incredibly bad...

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    I ate at one in Texas a few years ago and it was horrible I thought. I would much rather eat at Cici's if that tells you anything.
    It only tells us what your opinion is. You may be totally correct but, as I said, the public in general will make that decision. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now. I see no reason to hope that a business fails. I'm sure they aren't in business as a gourmet pizza restaurant and won't represent themselves that way.

Thread Information