Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ken's Pizza

Default Re: Ken's Pizza

This makes no sense to me. If Kens Pizza was so great, why the Change to Mazzio's? Haven't had a great Pizza in Oklahoma ever (been in and around Oklahoma since 1984) till today when I visited Papa Angelo's in Bethany. But back to topic, this would be like Carls Jr. offering Hardee's Hamburgers becasue they were better. Makes no sense. IMHO it's just a marketing strategy to get people into their eating establishments. No big deal, just a gimmick.

BTW, I Drove by a Ken's Pizza joint in Chandler, looking just like they did in 1984 when I moved here. Guess it never made the change to Mazzio's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    Haven't had a great Pizza in Oklahoma ever (been in and around Oklahoma since 1984) till today when I visited Papa Angelo's in Bethany.
    I understand what you're saying but as several of us keep mentioning everyone has a different idea about what constitutes great pizza. I don't care for the pizza I've had in Italy which is where it was born. That doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's not what I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeOKC View Post
    Pizza is one of those things where there isn't a "better" or "the best" or anything else.
    I agree, that is pretty much true with all foods, it is just a matter of personal preference.

I am not beholden to one style like some, my favorite pizza is Beau Jo's in Colorado but I also like the Chicago style deep dish at Giordano's in Chicago, Mangia here in Austin does a pretty good job of replicating the style. I still like the pizza at Nomad.

I still miss the thin crust style and sauce/pepperoni that Shotgun Sam's had, I also liked the stuffed pizza that Godfather's used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    I got one of these tonight and it was pretty good......as far as i can tell taste just Kens did back in the day.
    <snip>

I agree. I remember Ken's here in Midwest City from when I was a kid. The flavor of first bite of the Mazzio's "Ken's" was instantly familiar. I'll order another one or two before the special ends.

I finally tasted the Ken's Pizza this weekend. Had Mazzio's buffet after church on Sunday. I was impressed and it is noticeably better than the regular Mazzio's, but not by a ton. They don't normally put it out on the buffet but just ask for it, and remember to TIP whomever rings you up. I am pretty sure they don't get tipped much if any from the buffet crowd, but remember they are the ones in charge of restocking the buffet and bussing your table.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I finally tasted the Ken's Pizza this weekend. Had Mazzio's buffet after church on Sunday. I was impressed and it is noticeably better than the regular Mazzio's, but not by a ton. They don't normally put it out on the buffet but just ask for it, and remember to TIP whomever rings you up. I am pretty sure they don't get tipped much if any from the buffet crowd, but remember they are the ones in charge of restocking the buffet and bussing your table.
    I didn't realize that Mazzio's had a Sunday Buffet... thought that was only at lunchtime during the week and Tuesday Nights?
    Last edited by Fritomonk; 02-09-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: add info

Yeah they've had the Sunday buffet as long as I can remember.

Yeah they've had the Sunday buffet as long as I can remember.
    Is this a particular Mazzio's????

I can tell you that the Mazzios's at Robinson in Norman and the one at Telephone Road in Moore do not have a Sunday buffet.

NW expressway and also the one on N. Penn and 24th. I'm also pretty sure the one on Hefner and Rockwell does as well.

I'm also pretty sure the one on Hefner and Rockwell does as well.
    Yes, and on Tuesday nights as well—I want to say 5 to 8.

11. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Jettmiester View Post
    This makes no sense to me. If Kens Pizza was so great, why the Change to Mazzio's? .
    It was the 1970s and chains like Pizza Hut were making big gains. Kens morphed into Mazzio's to survive the onslaught and adapted to a menu/business model that made sense for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It was the 1970s and chains like Pizza Hut were making big gains. Kens morphed into Mazzio's to survive the onslaught and adapted to a menu/business model that made sense for the time.
    It certainly makes sense, even if it's hard to imagine for those of us who weren't around then. Do you remember what was pared?

13. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

What do you mean by "pared"?

That is, whatever else which was canceled in favor of a competitive menu and business model, especially that sort of stuff which might take off in popularity like Ken's recipe did.

15. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

The Ken's sauce has more of a kick to it - I suspect it's the sort of thing people love or hate, and Ken's was faced with creating something that would appeal more to everybody, ala Pizza Hut

Ive had a couple of these since mazzios has been running the special and can say they taste pretty much the way i remember them. Pizza hut on the other hand in no way shape or form resembles the pizza hut from the 70s. I can remember the red tablecloths with the candles they used to have on their tables.

Since moving to the metro, I avoid Pizza Hut and Mazzios both. If I want Pizza I hit Papa Angelo's in Bethany, Jo's Famous Pizza or Hideaway on NW expressway. For some reason that location has a better tasting pizza than the one in edmond near me. I used to live in Woodward and all we had was Mazzios and Pizza hut. Enjoying the better variety here.

Tried the Ken's last weekend and thought it was pretty yummy

Ken's Pizza morphed into Mazzio's because when the Selby's got a divorce she got the Ken's Pizzas and he got the Mazzio's . He did a quick name change and she got like 5 or 6 of them.

20. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

Interesting... funny how that's not the story told by corporate. I believe you

A friend (who is finicky about his fast[er] food anyway) complains of excessive grease on the top of the Ken's version of the pizza. I had no problem, but I did notice a bit more grease than usual. Is this an artifact of thin crust pizza in general, or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Free Won't View Post
    A friend (who is finicky about his fast[er] food anyway) complains of excessive grease on the top of the Ken's version of the pizza. I had no problem, but I did notice a bit more grease than usual. Is this an artifact of thin crust pizza in general, or something else?
    I always order thin crust pizza where it's offered and I've never noticed any particular problem with grease.

23. Default Re: Ken's Pizza

I am tied for my favorite pizza. Famous Jo's Pizza is hard to beat, but there used to be a place in Jones Ok. called J-Town Pizza. They had to die for pizza. Sadly they closed, but I sure wish they would find another location and reopen.

Tried a kens pizza last night, still as good as i remember.

I hope they do add the option to the menu or bring it back once a year for a month on their birthday ~ ala mcrib style.

I loved Ken's thin crust, but the sauce was what made it perfect. I live out of state now, and don't know if I will make it back to get to try it again. Could some of you please comment on what you think makes the Ken's sauce so 'spicey'? I would love to be able to recreate it in my home. Please help a guy out! Thanks in advance.

Thread Information