Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

In the early 80's, televangelist Oral Roberts claimed to have seen a vision of a 600-foot Jesus telling him to build a hospital in Tulsa. Despite much voiced concern that Tulsa didn't need another hospital, Roberts used his connections to get the laws changed, allowing hospitals to be built anywhere. Before this, a hospital had to prove there was a need in the immediate community.

Because of his actions, we now get heart hospitals and women's hospitals and spine hospitals and cancer hospitals that are not needed. They are there because rich doctors want to get richer and they know they can make more money with a specialty hospital in the suburbs than say investing time and money in the St. Anthony Heart Hospital. This is no different.

2. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    In the early 80's, televangelist Oral Roberts claimed to have seen a vision of a 600-foot Jesus telling him to build a hospital in Tulsa. Despite much voiced concern that Tulsa didn't need another hospital, Roberts used his connections to get the laws changed, allowing hospitals to be built anywhere. Before this, a hospital had to prove there was a need in the immediate community.

Because of his actions, we now get heart hospitals and women's hospitals and spine hospitals and cancer hospitals that are not needed. They are there because rich doctors want to get richer and they know they can make more money with a specialty hospital in the suburbs than say investing time and money in the St. Anthony Heart Hospital. This is no different.
    Preach it brother! Say Amen! You're right, Jbrown; I had never thought of it in the context of Oral Roberts, but you make perfect sense. As for the physician-owned specialty hospitals in the suburbs - you are spot on. This is happening all over the country and is just another symptom of a broken health care system that makes marketing health care no different than marketing detergent or cellular phones.

------------------------

Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

We're talking 15-20 minutes away from Downtown ..
    It's about the same distance from downtown as the OU campus in Norman.

And it's a heck of a long way for someone from Moore, MWC, etc. Especially since these sort of treatments are on-going and involve criticially ill people. And, it requires travel on a toll road unless you want to add a half an hour to your trip.

My dad died of a brain tumor and I had to take him from where we lived near 63rd & Meridian to Mercy many times for radiation therapy, and THAT seemed like a long way considering the state of his health.

Anyway, I'm glad OKC is getting the treatment center but the location is for no one's benefit other than the investors.

I don't see why they feel the need to build a whole 'campus' when one currently exists at the HSC.

And notice he mentions how people will be coming from all over the region for treatment... So, naturally you locate out nowhere near the major interstates, airport, hotels and other support facilities.

New cancer center, Integris partner
    Complementary patient care campus planned.

By Jim Stafford
    Business Writer

ProCure Treatment Centers Inc. revealed another major partner — Integris Health — Thursday in its plans to build a $95 million high-tech cancer treatment center in Oklahoma City

Two days after ProCure announced that it will build its center along the Kilpatrick Turnpike at MacArthur Boulevard, ProCure officials said that the company has signed a deal with Oklahoma City-based Integris Health to provide what it termed "complementary patient care” at the 55,000-square-foot proton treatment center.

"The patients at our proton therapy center will need additional health care services,” said Hadley Ford, chief executive officer of ProCure. "We need to have a partner who can provide that in seamless fashion.

"Integris has a proven track record of providing excellent patient care in a wide spectrum of specialties.”

The partnership won't exclude patients from other hospitals and physicians, said Stanley F. Hupfeld, president and chief executive officer of Integris Health.

In fact, patients will be traveling from a wide geographic region for treatment, and many will need other medical and concierge-type services that Integris can provide, he said.

"All it means is that we, along with the physicians of ProCure, will be developing a site around the ProCure facility for a national class cancer facility with diagnostic capabilities, with routine radiation therapy capabilities, with surgical capabilities,” Hupfeld said. "We are their affiliate for that development. We are in the process of master planning that development to that end.”

The six-acre site on which the ProCure center will be built is adjacent to a surgical center that Integris is building, Hupfeld said.

"Our concept is, and we are going to have to master plan the acreage around it, in kind of a mall-like effect, where you have various kinds of facilities, which would include a radiology diagnostic center with a CT scan and MRI, those kinds of equipment,” he said. "We think there will be developed a medical office building.

"From a conceptual standpoint, my thought is that it will look very much like a campus with a number of facilities tied in together with walkways and landscaping and all of that.”

Integris was not part of the decision to locate the center in far northwest Oklahoma City over a site on the Oklahoma Health Center campus near downtown, Hupfeld said.

"We, of course, were very interested in the MacArthur-Memorial (Road) site, and we had acquired the land around that and really had suggested the opportunity to master plan a very thoughtful development of a true cancer center and a true cancer campus,” he said.

Hershel Lamirand, executive director of the Oklahoma Health Center, said he was among the health center officials who were disappointed with the decision by ProCure to locate the site in northwest Oklahoma City.

"You say, ‘Congratulations,' of course, to Integris and the folks at ProCure, and you go on down the road,” Lamirand said. "As time goes on we will probably see other alternatives that will come up that will be good for Oklahoma City and good for the Health Center and good for the state.”

Other local partners in the ProCure center are the physicians affiliated with Radiation Medicine Associates and Radiation Oncology Associates, and local investors led by energy executive Aubrey McLendon, chairman and chief executive of Oklahoma City-based Chesapeake Energy Corp.

Hupfeld said he was not among the local investors in ProCure.

ProCure officials have said they hope to break ground on the new cancer treatment center this spring and see their first patients by mid-summer in 2009.

"This technology is ground-breaking technology,” Hupfeld said. "It is so powerful a tool for treatment of certain kinds of cancer that we are obviously delighted to be affiliated with. We are very excited to work on master planning that whole site. I think we can do something there very special for the treatment of cancer patients in Oklahoma and the surrounding states.”

5. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    Integris was not part of the decision to locate the center in far northwest Oklahoma City over a site on the Oklahoma Health Center campus near downtown, Hupfeld said.
    Yeah freakin' right.

6. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Correct. But let me remind you that people drive from all over the state right now in hours long trips to get treatment right now. A 15 minute drive isn't going to really hurt most folks. Especially since these are treatments that are emergencies. If you have an emergency, you go to the hospital, not the cancer center. For those that have a hard time getting to treatments, it doesnt matter if it's across the street or across town because they still have to get a ride. There are many free service organizations that provide transport for elderly cancer patients. I know everyone would have liked to have seen it downtown, but as i've spent many months saying on okmet, it really wasn't ever going to happen down there.

It's also very strange and pretty lousy that they were in active negotiations with the HSC and then decided on this other location without letting them know.

Sounds like the HSC people heard the news from the press.

8. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    It's also very strange and pretty lousy that they were in active negotiations with the HSC and then decided on this other location without letting them know.

Sounds like the HSC people heard the news from the press.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Just when you think the momentum downtown will just keep going and going something like this happens. I thought this city was finally done losing big projects like this to the outlying areas, and especially when it was nearly a done deal that they were going to the HSC with the new OU cancer center starting construction next year. I was pissed when the cancer treatment center in Tulsa built a new campus on the SE side of town and wondered why they wouldn't pair up with OSU Med. Center downtown and build there, I thought for sure the same thing wouldn't happen in OKC...

10. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Well don't get mad at the city...get mad at the doctor. He's the one that didn't want to play by the rules with the other people at OU. And remember that OU isn't the city here. The city tried to make it work (and in their opinion, it is still in OKC so they didn't "lose" the battle).

I think many of the docs at OU cancer are kind of glad he didn't build down there...doctor egos and all...he isn't exactlly well liked.

Patrick Guest

Well, frankly, I'm glad this Procure treatment center won't be located on the HSC campus. All the Procure Treatment center is about is making profits. And proton therapy isn't where the research is leading us for cures to cancer, so it's not like this is going to be the sought after treatment facility for years to come. Getting to the root cause of cancer through genetical engineering is where the research is going. Proton therapy is just another form of radiation therapy, very unspecific for cancers, and not the wave of the future.

The focus at the OU Health Sciences Center has never been making huge corporate profits. The focus has always been on research and furthering the cause of medicine. 10 years from now when the OU Cancer Institute and Research Center has discovered how ot alter genetics to alter the fate of cancers, this proton cancer center will be years behind.

The focus of this center will not be on cutting edge research. It will be on using one modality to make millions of bucks off of. That doesn't even fit with the mission of the OUHSC. In fact, it fits better with Integris' Health mission, which is to make large profits.

12. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    And proton therapy isn't where the research is leading us for cures to cancer, so it's not like this is going to be the sought after treatment facility for years to come. Getting to the root cause of cancer through genetical engineering is where the research is going. Proton therapy is just another form of radiation therapy, very unspecific for cancers, and not the wave of the future.

The focus at the OU Health Sciences Center has never been making huge corporate profits. The focus has always been on research and furthering the cause of medicine. 10 years from now when the OU Cancer Institute and Research Center has discovered how ot alter genetics to alter the fate of cancers, this proton cancer center will be years behind.
    Yeah that's pretty much exactly what my dad said--"Their loss."

I guess for these reasons we really don't want these guys in the OHC.

Looks like patients will have an option at the HSC after all:

OU to add proton center to its city cancer facility
    By Jim Stafford Business Writer

Future proton cancer treatment options in Oklahoma City have doubled with an announcement Friday by the University of Oklahoma that it will build a high-tech treatment on the Oklahoma Health Center campus.

OU’s announcement was made just days after Bloomington, Ind.-based ProCure Treatment Centers Inc. revealed that it will build a $95 million proton treatment center in far north Oklahoma City near the intersection of the Kilpatrick Turnpike and MacArthur Boulevard.

ProCure officials also said that Integris Health will join its Oklahoma City venture as a partner and will develop its own cancer center on the 6-acre northwest Oklahoma City site.

Oklahoma Health Center and OU officials had hoped that ProCure would choose a location for its proton center on the health center campus at NE 8 and Lincoln, just a block or so from the $90 million comprehensive cancer center the university is building.

Instead, OU will add its own proton treatment center to the cancer center already under construction, OU President David Boren said.

The timing of the OU announcement gives the appearance that the university is scrambling to match the ProCure deal, but Boren said that is not the case. The university planned to offer a proton treatment center all along, either in conjunction with Pro-Cure or by incorporating protons into its cancer center, he said.

“I wouldn’t say that we are reacting,” Boren said. “I would say that given the fact that this has recently come out, I think it’s important for it to be known that proton therapy will be part of the (OU) comprehensive cancer center.

“We’ve been waiting to see (ProCure’s choice of location), but we’ve been on a parallel track. We were very willing to invite them into our location.”

Seamless care

At least a portion of OU’s proton treatment facility will be built beneath the cancer center, Boren said, making for what he called seamless care for cancer patients undergoing treatment at the center.

“I think probably we will be in a stronger position to build exactly what suits our needs because we — the Hospital Authority — will be the 100 percent owners of this,” he said. “We will not be partners in this. We will be able to do what we really think will be totally best for us in terms of size.”

Boren would not reveal the cost or size of the proton center.

“Since we are still in those negotiations and discussions, it wouldn’t be prudent for me to say,” Boren said. “Obviously, we are hoping to get the best state-of-the-art equipment for the lowest cost.”

However, the overall cost of the building project has grown from the original $90 million to about $150 million, he said. The university also is raising about $100 million in private fundraising to invest in faculty and scientists to staff the cancer center, he said.

The proton center will be paid for with funds from the Hospital Authority that has oversight of the OU Medical Center, he said. OU is considering four options from other providers for the proton facility, he said.

“We will pay for it the way we would have paid for our share of ProCure if we would have taken a share of ProCure,” Boren said. “The Hospital Authority has the ability to finance projects based on revenue streams at the authority. It has very strong revenue streams.”

No delay expected

OU’s cancer center has been designated a comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute, and will include both research and clinical roles, including many different types of cancer treatment that includes proton therapy, Boren said.

The university announced a completion time frame of 24 to 30 months when it began construction on the cancer institute last fall. The proton center actually could be operational before the rest of the center is completed, he said.

“Let me put it this way, it certainly will not delay the opening of the cancer center,” Boren said.

Although there are only approximately six proton treatment centers in the nation, Boren predicted that proton therapy will become commonplace across the country over the next three or four years.

The high-tech treatment targets specific cancer cells using a focused beam that limits damage to other tissues. It is especially useful in treating children, Boren said.

News is welcomed

The OU announcement was welcomed by officials with the Presbyterian Health Foundation, which also is located on the Oklahoma Health Center campus and has provided more than $65 million in research grants to OU in the last decade.

“It totally makes sense to have it integrated with all the other types of photon therapy that will be (used) in the Oklahoma Cancer Institute,” said Michael Anderson, president of the Presbyterian Health Foundation. “The advantage to be in the university is that you will have top research scientists who will be involved in trials sanctioned by National Institutes of Health and under FDA regulations. It will be the only place in Oklahoma where these comprehensive trials will be held.

“It’s very, very significant. It does complete the components you would want to have in a comprehensive cancer center.”

No hard feelings

Boren said OU has had discussions with providers of proton technology to M.D. Anderson in Houston, Washington University in St. Louis, Tufts University in Boston and the Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland, as well as providers in Europe.

The university has no hard feelings toward ProCure, he said. ProCure operates as a private venture to generate profits for investors, while OU’s objectives are driven by its mission of education and research, he said.

We are building one of the greatest health centers in the entire country,” Boren said. “When we think about all the things that will be coming online in that one six- or eight-block area, it’s going to be one of the most powerful medical centers in the country.”

Sometimes, if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself. I'm happy to see ProCure will have some competition. I really don't see them lasting very long now. When you look at what's taking place here, you can't help but see that Sooner spirit alive and moving. At one point in time, the name "Sooner" was a derogatory label. Now, it stands proudly as a badge of acquisition. Here, the Sooners are planting their flags in the market of proton therapy. I'm sorry to get all allegiant about this, but I'm glad to see OU stepping up for Oklahoma City.

Thanks for the post MalibuSooner.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

15. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

The plot thickens...

Sounds like OU and the OHC have their own goals and are not going to compromise them.

17. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Sounds like OU and the OHC have their own goals and are not going to compromise them.
    Good for them.

18. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Glad to hear it. Maybe Procure will back out now since they won't be the only game in town...and definitely won't have the same resources...or location. Also glad to see someone stick it to private healthcare...and especially that particular doctor. Bwahahaha.

19. Default Re: OKC lands new state of the art Treatment Facility

Haha I would love to see Integris get left out in the cold as well.

Thread Information