Thread: Best Thai restaurant?

Default Re: Best Thai?

Tana Thai on North May. North of Britton, south of Hefner

Panang 89th & S. Penn

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Wagon View Post
    Tana Thai on North May. North of Britton, south of Hefner
    I met a friend there when I was in OKC this past March, it was very good.

Taste of Thai on Midwest Blvd in Midwest City is great. Its a bit out of your geographic area but well worth the trip.

Whatever happened to Nick from Sala Thai on NW 23rd?

Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post
    Whatever happened to Nick from Sala Thai on NW 23rd?
    He got a divorce and moved to Edmond. Had a place on 2nd Street for a while; not sure if it's still open. OKC is hurting for good Thai, and frankly, we could have a nicer Vietnamese restaurant, too. Lido is fine, but it doesn't have the feel of a destination restaurant: no bar, tired menu, etc. Oddly, most of what Lido serves is crappy Chinese. I like them, but wish they would step up their game (or someone with more imagination would move in and open up in the Asian District). The Asian District deserves a great, four-star restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    He got a divorce and moved to Edmond. Had a place on 2nd Street for a while; not sure if it's still open. OKC is hurting for good Thai, and frankly, we could have a nicer Vietnamese restaurant, too. Lido is fine, but it doesn't have the feel of a destination restaurant: no bar, tired menu, etc. Oddly, most of what Lido serves is crappy Chinese. I like them, but wish they would step up their game (or someone with more imagination would move in and open up in the Asian District). The Asian District deserves a great, four-star restaurant.
    If you want good Vietnamese food, go where Vietnamese people go. It's not Lido.

As for Thai food in OKC, I am in complete agreement. Even the better places cater to Western tastes too much. Unfortunately, there isn't much a Thai population in OKC.

[QUOTE=chuck johnson;473399]If you want good Vietnamese food, go where Vietnamese people go. It's not Lido.
    QUOTE]

Is there any place that serves good Chao Tom? There was a place down the street from Sala Thai that served Chao Tom, but I have not seen it on the menu anywhere else.

[QUOTE=jstaylor62;473455]
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck johnson View Post
    If you want good Vietnamese food, go where Vietnamese people go. It's not Lido.
    QUOTE]

Is there any place that serves good Chao Tom? There was a place down the street from Sala Thai that served Chao Tom, but I have not seen it on the menu anywhere else.
    Golden Phoenix has it for sure. You can get it alone or as part of a "roll-your-own" garden roll platter with grilled pork, etc.

While you're there, I suggest the 7-course beef dinner aka "Bo 7". It's very traditional and many restaurants in Vietnam only feature that one offering. It's 7 courses of beef served 7 different ways. There's a roll your own portion, cook your own, and a soup at the end. Golden Phoenix charge only $13 for the dinner, but I think you need at least 2 people. It makes for a great group dinner because you're actively involved in your dinner and makes for lively discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Panang 89th & S. Penn
    On your recommendation, I checked this out for lunch, today. Thanks - I got the lunch special and it was excellent. Can't wait to go back.

[QUOTE=chuck johnson;473507]
    Quote Originally Posted by jstaylor62 View Post

Golden Phoenix ... While you're there, I suggest the 7-course beef dinner aka "Bo 7". ... It's 7 courses of beef served 7 different ways. There's a roll your own portion, cook your own, and a soup at the end. Golden Phoenix charge only $13 for the dinner, but I think you need at least 2 people. It makes for a great group dinner because you're actively involved in your dinner and makes for lively discussion.
    This sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    OKC is hurting for good Thai...
    Y'all come down to Norman, we have plenty of good Thai places to go around!

Default Re: Best Thai restaurant?

merged this with an earlier thread on the same subject... -M

Golden Phoenix is good! I don't believe I have seen that one on the menu but with 352 items, plus or minus, it's hard to catch it all.

Quote Originally Posted by okclee View Post
    Anyone tried Moon Thai, 23rd & Penn?
    Moon Thai is actually very good, but you have to order off the menu. Specifically, their Pad Kra Prow(thai basil) and beef pad soo ey(wide egg noodles, beef) are very, very good and I would put both dishes up against any thai around. Most things on the menu are solid, really, but these stand out for me. Buffet is no good - a factor of economics, I'm afraid.

Panang is my favorite, but living in the city I carried out from Moon Thai way more often.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    Moon Thai is actually very good, but you have to order off the menu. Specifically, their Pad Kra Prow(thai basil) and beef pad soo ey(wide egg noodles, beef) are very, very good and I would put both dishes up against any thai around. Most things on the menu are solid, really, but these stand out for me. Buffet is no good - a factor of economics, I'm afraid.

Panang is my favorite, but living in the city I carried out from Moon Thai way more often.
    Good to know, thanks! I live near there also but have always been afraid to try it for some reason.

^^ me too.

I really like Thai Sayarm in MWC. Filled with military at lunch. They have a very modest lunch buffet that I do not suggest. It's okay, but as usual it is best to order from the menu. The Pad Thai, Thai fried rice, and curries are all good.

The only caveat is that if you are freaked out about chicken then it might not be the place for you. They use light and dark meat. I usually stick to the shrimp. The spring rolls are good as well, and they will often run out. The male owner can be cranky--they only recently started allowing curry to be ordered to go. Soups are good too.

The restaurant service itself can be iffy. Usually just one or two people working and it is not a place you go to for the atmosphere.

Panang is Amazing!
    I absolutely love the Evil Jungle Chicken Curry & the Pad Thai!

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    Panang is really really good. I have never seen a buffet there, not sure what you folks are talking about.

I think they are talking about the lunch special, where you create your own combo.
    They will bring more if you ask for it. So, its not technically a buffet, but similar premise.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK View Post
    Y'all come down to Norman, we have plenty of good Thai places to go around!
    Agree - IMO Pad Thai on Campus Corner and Sweet Basil downtown are better than any of the OKC Thai places. I do like the place in the strip mall at May & Memorial (I think)..Thai Stop. Unassuming location but pretty good.

Yes, Sweet Basil is amazing.

I was DT on the 6th and wrapped what I was doing in time to enjoy lunch before popping back to Norman. I wandered into the Thai Kitchen Just off Hudson on Dean A. McGee, an odd choice for me as I'm not typically a fan of Thai food.

Well, consider me converted. The Tom Yum soup was especially delicious. I promised to roll back soon to sample their dinner offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I love Thai Food. I've eaten it all across this country. I know exactly what you are talking about. I live a heck of lot closer to the Asian district than to SW OKC. I've yet to find a Thai Restaurant in the downtown/uptown area that appeals to me. I've eaten at the Thai House several times and the food is okay but it always seems dirty to me. I was traveling all the way to Norman for Thai at Sweet Basil for the longest time until I discovered Panang.
    I'll have to agree with Stew on this issue wholeheartedly. The Thai offerings in inner-city OKC are flawed at best. In addition to the restaurants he mentions, my family and I like Tana Thai on North May in the Village.

My wife is from Indonesia, which definately has culinary ties with Thailand, and she and her sister both love the Eastern location of Thai House. We both also really like Lemongrass at 2nd & Santa Fe in Edmond but I'm not sure if it's "real" Thai food or if it's more Americanized.

Thread Information